PDA

View Full Version : kart e z fit barrels

2600+
August 29, 2005, 12:57 PM
helo
i am wondering about results of the kart e z fit as a bullseye shooter i need extreme accuracy do you think this is capable of 2 inch groups at 50 yards
with propper fitting and a proven load

thanks

2600+

RickB
August 29, 2005, 03:19 PM
I think they are a great DIY item, but the accuracy is only as good as the person doing the fitting. Do you think YOU can fit it that well? I spent about six hours installing one, and was able to shoot a cloverleaf group at fifteen yards, but don't know how it has held up over time.

Unclenick
August 30, 2005, 01:09 AM
The E-Z fit is a perfectly good idea. You just want to be sure you are doing what you really want with it? The E-Z fit provides an alternative fitting method to having to cut or scrape over-size link lugs to fit a gun. I believe it also comes with a bushing that is pre-fit on the inside.

The potential problems for you would lie in whether you are trying to us the E-Z fit as part of a conventional accurizing process or are trying to get out of fitting the slide and frame? In the former case I don't see a problem with it. In the latter case, the E-Z fit will let you get firm lock-up with a slide and frame that aren't tight. However, for bulls eye accuracy you should still fit the slide and frame first. Slide and frame fitting improves the tendency of the gun to recoil the same way each time and not to shift the recoil axis as fouling collects or as the magazine stack shortens. It may only amount to 5-10% of the total accuracy improvement a tightened gun achieves, but with a bulls eye gun, you take every advantage you can get.

If you don't have a lug cutter, get the E-Z fit. If you have access to a cutter and an adjustable reamer for the bushing, you can buy Kart's standard barrel configuration for about $40 less. It comes with the bushing too tight inside and out.

Personally, I am more comfortable fitting the bushing inside myself. I haven't seen one of the Kart pre-fit jobs, so I'm not speaking against them. I just know it is possible to split thousandths with the tools I already have, and haven't wanted to give that up. I don't think you are likely see the difference on target without an immense statistical sample, but it gives me a warm fuzzy feeing to know the thing is as close as I can make it.

Nick

Harry Bonar
August 31, 2005, 07:33 PM
Dear Shooter:
There are NO easy fit parts!
Harry B.

2600+
August 31, 2005, 08:10 PM
all i want is accuracy e z is not the concern the price i right and i want to do it myself

Hunter Customs
September 1, 2005, 08:41 AM
I've fit some Kart barrels in the past but they were not the easy fit barrels. The Karts I've fit produced good accuracy.

If you don't mind fitting a gunsmith fit barrel check out the Schuemann AET barrel, it has gain twist rifling, fluted chambers and throats; everyone of the AET barrels that I've used has exceptional accuracy.
I've heard claims of the AET barrels being shot in a barrel fixture and producing .5 inch groups at 50 yards. After shooting the ones that I've fit I have no reason to doubt this.

Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Unclenick
September 2, 2005, 07:45 AM
Bob,

I am not familiar with the AET. I didn't know anyone was still making gain twist barrels after the Gain Twist Barrel Company folded (old Precision Shooting advertiser)? Reports from rifle shooters wound up concluding there was no real benefit. Have you noticed any tendency for it to reduce leading or move it further down the barrel?

The accuracy sounds good. My old Series 70 G.C. shot .37" C-T-C at 25 yards immediately after fitting. This was the Colt N.M. barrel it came with, which was ½ mil out of round at the muzzle, welded up at the link lugs and scraped into fit. That's just slightly over 1 ½ M.O.A. If a barrel of such dubious dimensional quality can do that, 1 M.O.A. out of a carefully made barrel doesn't seem unreasonable to expect. Are the AET's stainless or Cr-Mo steel?

2600+,

I forgot to mention that the E-Z Fit also saves you having to size the barrel link. Since the lugs aren't changed, the link from the factory should be right — I am assuming one comes with it. However, Harry is right that there is still skilled work involved. You will still have to file the barrel extension width and length to achieve guidance into lock-up. You will still need to chamfer the locking lug edges. You will still need to fit the bushing skirt. You will then need to trim the E-Z fit lug ribs.

I understand Fred Kart is good at talking people through this. If you've never done any 1911 fitting before, read Hallock and Kuhnhausen to get a feel for what you are in for. Better still; see if you have anyone doing this kind of work locally who will let you assist through one or two guns to get the feel for the work?

Nick

Hunter Customs
September 2, 2005, 10:21 AM
Nick,
As for AET barrels with the gain twist reducing leading I do not know, all my customers using AET barrels are shooting jacketed bullets.
Just a month ago I was discussing barrels with a gentleman that manufactured rifle barrels for years, he did alot of work with the military. I mentioned the AET barrels with the gain twist and his take was, the most accurate barrels were gain twist.
Some of the claims of AET barrels is a velocity increase, less torque and a reduction in pressure.
The bore in the AET barrels seems to be highly polished, the bores look better than the bores of other barrels I've used.
The barrels are stainless steel. I've heard the debates of stainless steel barrels being weak but I've not found this to be true.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Unclenick
September 2, 2005, 07:45 PM
Bob,

I think some early stainless got a bad rep from AMT and other not-quite-ready-for-prime-time stainless gun makers. I've had no trouble with Bar-sto stainless, but tend to feel like I have more control of chrome-moly in scraping and fitting it. Just a feel and quite subjective.

In theory chrome-moly should gain more wear resistance from cryo treatment than stainless does, but understand this isn't a settled thing in the metallurgy community.

I spotted two Schuemann barrels in Brownells catalog, but not called AET and no mention of gain twist. Where are you getting yours?

Nick

Hunter Customs
September 3, 2005, 05:57 PM
Nick,
I purchase my barrels direct from Schuemann. As a matter of fact I purchase most of my parts that I use a lot of direct from the manufactures. The main reasons for this is that if Brownell's does not sell so many of an item they will drop it, the item may be a darn good part but at the time they were not selling like hot cakes. Also buying direct from the manufacture lets the manufacture know exactly how much (dollars wise) of his parts your business is using. This is a good thing if maybe you need something a little special or replacement of a part that may be out of warranty or had no warranty.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Unclenick
September 3, 2005, 08:10 PM
Bob,

Yes, Brownells can be both discouraging and expensive at times. I've always bought reamers and chamber gages direct for that reason. Bar-sto barrels, too.

I found www.schuemann.com, and they offer quite a collection. Thanks for the lead,

Nick

Hunter Customs
September 5, 2005, 10:19 AM
Nick,
I think at the present time Wil is in the process of moving his operation so getting a barrel from him may take a little longer than normal. Most of the time when I order a barrel from him I'll have it in four days. I believe he keeps a pretty good supply of barrels in stock.
Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Unclenick
September 5, 2005, 01:43 PM
Bob,

Thanks for the heads up.

Nick