PDA

View Full Version : xd9 as a second handgun....?

tork
August 24, 2005, 12:07 AM
couple basic questions i guess, just looking for opinions.

i bought my first handgun a while back, and after looking into it, a smith revolver was my best choice 4" .357 66.
well, thats a bit big to cart around with me, so i started looking at used semi's
i was torn between glocks, sigs, cz and kahr, (the kel tec was far too small) and then today, i hit a shop i havent been to in a while, and he had a used xd9 3" 9mm green jobber there.

i was angry i hadn't thought of a springfield piece.... but i dont know anything about them. i read up here and think it would be a fine choice, it was $350, and looked real clean. i wanted 9mm cause its cheap, and after trying to hit a second 357 mag round close to the first one in a hurry, i've lost my big-gun-itis.

so i was just wondering if this would make a decent occasional cc piece, and if the barrels are interchangable to .40 if i decide later.
and where to get the xtended magazines cheap.
thanks guys.

shooter429
August 24, 2005, 04:06 AM
I had overlooked Springfield for years too. I am kicking myself for it now. I guess we learn from our mistakes. I just recently bought an XD9 and love it! Easily the best 9 I have ever had. It is accurate, reliable with an awesome trigger and ergos. Some people don't like the finish. So far, I have seen no problems with them. $350 sounds a bit high though. I got out the door new for 450. If it is in good shape, you can make them an offer.

Shooter429

tork
August 24, 2005, 08:06 AM
it's in georgeous shape... i will see if i can get some clips with it. the extended clips fit real good in my paws. thanks

i looked into it a little more and some of you folks are saying that i can only swap in barrels smaller than the original caliber.... i.e. a 40 will accept a 9 barrel, but not the other way around.

shooter429
August 24, 2005, 10:30 AM
Torx, offhand, I don't know about the barrel swap. I guess that is worth checking into just to be sure if that is a feature you are looking for. Personally, I am content with my XD as a vundernine. I have had every major caliber there is now, and I don't get too excited over the latest and greatest. If you want power, your 4" .357 is more power than a .40 or .45 could deliver by a long shot. I did a side by side penetration test 165 Gr. 40 4"BBL v. Hot handloaded 160 Gr. Sil. rounds in .357. from 4"BBL And the .40 ain't even in the same ballpark. In fact, my backstop was a small tree that stopped all of the .40s halfway but did not stop a single magnum round. The debate will probably never end as to what is the best caliber, but I would rather get the 9 and do twice as much shooting (as the 9 is half as expensive) than buy a 40 and have "better" one shot stops (which I think is a ludicrous concept anyway).

Shooter429

tork
August 24, 2005, 10:38 AM
yeah, at this point i'd still like more shots than bigger shots.

i can find them for 450 new all day long, but they dont seem to lose much value, i've been calling shops for the last hour, and 350 seems right on for a used piece.

thanks for the input

spitfire45
August 24, 2005, 06:13 PM
The .40 and the .357 are a drop in change, but you cant do anything with the 9. I own a XD9 and I think it is the Best gun I have ever shot, Hands Down. So dont let that detour you from the purchase.
Oh, try to find out when it was made there was a small problem with early models finish, but that has all been taken care of.

tork
August 24, 2005, 08:06 PM
if all goes well i'll pick it up tomorrow.
schwing!!!!

unless someone talks me out of it.

kart racer
August 24, 2005, 09:54 PM
The 9 is a stand alone,you can swap barrels on the 357/40 to a nine but not vice versa.My 4 inch has never malfunctioned.