PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about a Hi-Point?

RedRiver
August 23, 2005, 01:20 AM
I only want people to list a response if they've owned and operated a Hi-Point firearm and in the last five years or sooner. Not the "old" ones. No second hand B.S. I really want to know people's experiences with these firearms. Are they reliable, durable, accurate? Are they of poor quality, unreliable, inaccurate etc? Everything I've researched has been mostly from a friend of a friend and not by an actual owner. I've come across more good reviews than bad but I want to know from yall. If they're crappy, great! I won't buy one. I almost want to buy one for the price and see for myself but I need to know if I'm throwing my money away. Thanks!

CajunBass
August 23, 2005, 02:44 AM
I wanted to know the same thing. So I bought one. (C-9, 9mm) I like it. It works. I think they're a bargain.

RoyG
August 23, 2005, 06:49 AM
I know you said you didn't want to hear from anyone with "old" ones but here is my pawn shop find. I got it for $75 otd. Shot 50 rounds of American 45acp(came free with the gun). Target was setup at 25 feet. The flyer on top was my first shot.

Will I ever carry it? NO.

Is it a great range gun? YES.

Juna
August 23, 2005, 07:01 AM
Are they DA/SA? What's the mag capacity? Just curious... Steel/polymer?

147 Grain
August 23, 2005, 07:09 AM
Don't own a Hi-Point, but my local www.ImpactGuns.com only wants $129 for any new fullsize model and $99 for the compact 9mm (C-9). They, like many other gunshops, have a hard time keeping them in stock at those prices.

Personally, I'm glad you asked for objective advice from owners of Hi-Points and not for subjective rumors from those not in the know.

Good luck (from an objective non-owner) who'se thinking of buying one.

John Ringo
August 23, 2005, 08:50 AM
They are dirt cheap and clunky. But....

But I have read reviews that state that they are actually quite functional. It's not going to oust the HK anytime soon, but for under $200 you will get a pretty decent backyard shooter in just about any caliber.

BerettaCougar
August 23, 2005, 09:07 AM
I have the carbine and it's great, but if i could do it again I would get a Makarov instead.

Hans
August 23, 2005, 09:57 AM
They are DAO, but they are fun for the range, as you can beat the snot out of them and not worry too much about it. They have a lifetime warranty, are reliable enough for a range gun after a short break in period, and they are cheap. Not so bad if that is what you are looking for.

wingman
August 23, 2005, 10:06 AM
The carbines are accurate and fun, have not tried there pistols.

AMT8951
August 23, 2005, 10:51 AM
My Dept. hosted a LE Carbine course last month. Most of the 20 or so students showed up with AR's (there was also a Mini-14, some sort of Ruger .40cal Carbine, and an M-1 Carbine). A Lt. from a neighboring agency showed up with a privatly purchased Hi-Point Carbine in .40cal with a Tasco propoint mounted on it. He took a little ribbing from the instructors at first, but I think he and the weapon ended up doing pretty well. No reliability problems at all. BTW I think one of those kids at Colubine High used a high point carbine.

Didn't shoot it myself so I guess you can write this off as 2nd hand BS. :)

30-40Krag dude
August 23, 2005, 11:13 AM
My father bought the c-9 a few months ago. after making fun of him for buying something so ugly and cheap, i noticed the carbine and picked one up.
My carbine has been great. fit and finish is pretty low quality, but its great shooter. i have well over 2000 rounds through it now and i couldnt imagine a better plinker for the money.

My fathers pistol has far less rounds through it. again, poor fit and finish, but its shoots great. it is pretty accurate. he has had some problems though. the firing pin broke after about 300 rounds. no problem, sent it back and a week later it was fixed and he had a new free mag. One of the original 8 round mags doesnt feed reliably at all. the new free one and a 10 rounder both work fine with no feed problems.

lifetime warrenty, and great customer service. if you get a bad one, run it over, send it back, and get a new one.

USP45usp
August 23, 2005, 11:23 AM
9mm Carbine, no experience with the pistol.

My carbine is a very fun rifle to fire, have had no problems with it and it's black so that's a plus :D.

If the pistols are anything like the rifles, they may be ugly but they are functional and so far realiable.

Wayne

BerettaCougar
August 23, 2005, 11:28 AM
it's black so that's a plus .

HAHAHA!, that made me laugh out loud, everyone thinks i'm on something now. (at work)

Clone
August 23, 2005, 12:56 PM
i have a JHP45 thats never failed me in 1250rds and shoots 2in at 15 yards. i purchased a C9 last week and took it to the range and had to 2 FTF in the first two mags i ran through it. i adjusted the mag lips and finished the rest of the 200rds without a problem. the accuracy at first sucked, and im guessing it was because i wasnt used to shooting it, but in the last 100rds the accurary was as good as my 45. if i had it to do over i would still buy my HiPoint's.

Javelin Man
August 23, 2005, 03:43 PM
The 9mm carbine and the .45 acp pistol. Both have worked great, are accurate, (a relative term) and require little tlc. They are inexpensive enough to buy one and find out for yourself how well they work.

bfox
August 24, 2005, 12:03 AM
I got a 45
Mine shoots Great
I had to pick one up after all the fuss here about them.
Ugly , Heavy ,Cheaply made yes
but it shoots great thats all that matters .
Got a 9mm carbine shoots great to .

Bill

payne
August 24, 2005, 12:10 AM
I owned a C-9 and it was a tough little gun. Very reliable and it was accurate after I did some adjusting with the sights.

chris in va
August 24, 2005, 12:57 AM
Bought a 9mm carbine from a gun show last year, mainly because I had never seen something quite like that and couldn't believe it was only $120 (used).

Whoever had it previously shot the SNOT out of it. The innards were worn severely and it wouldn't fire more than 3 rounds. Sent it in to HiPoint, got back basically a new gun with the doodads that didn't come with it from the show (sling, cleaning kit, takedown tool, sight rail, manual).

Now the thing is one of my favorite firearms. Absolutely reliable with NO firing/feeding problems in...jeez, 1000 rounds? Dead-on accurate at 50 yards with a cheap red dot. I mean soda can accurate. Everyone that shoots the thing loves it.

Can't speak for the handguns, but love the carbine. Oh, and the sound it makes is rather distinctive...

PS: They give you a couple mags "for your trouble".

silversilvia
August 24, 2005, 02:43 AM
i have a C9. never jamed, jsut so damn ugly, so i never shoot it anymore. it was my first gun

RedRiver
August 24, 2005, 04:39 AM
I'm going to order one online and check it out for myself. It seems that people who actually own one like them!

CajunBass
August 24, 2005, 05:27 AM
I don't think you'll be disapointed. When you get it, try the "ghost ring" sight that comes with it. I really like that feature.

wingman
August 24, 2005, 07:46 AM
Can't speak for the handguns, but love the carbine. Oh, and the sound it makes is rather distinctive...

The 40 cal somewhat sounds like an M1 when firing, I like the sound but
dident give it too much thought until your post.

kymasabe
August 24, 2005, 08:07 AM
Interesting post. I've been thinking about getting one, a 9mm, and keeping it as a truck gun. "Ugly, heavy, fairly accurate", I can live with...as longs as it's reliable and sounds so far like there are minimal problems with them.

sltintexas
August 24, 2005, 08:26 AM
I have the 380 and the only problem I have had is with the magazine. The gun is pretty picky about the ammo being lined up right. If they get out of alignment they will not feed right and you will have problems. My only 2 problems I have had with it were because of this. Once I figured it out, I've had no problems. When you are looking at the loaded mag, make sure that all the bullets are facing up at the right angle... if any are pointing down just a little bit, you may have problems..I think it will make sense after you get one ;) I load mine, give the mag (the back of it) a quick smack on the table or my hand, and your good to go!

Additional note..I am still in the break in period of my 380, so these things may work themselves out after break in....

Bowtier
August 24, 2005, 08:58 AM
I too can not speak for the pistols because I have the 9mm carbine. I have shot over 3000 rounds through mine & not had a single problem & I've only cleaned the gun 3 times! I'm a believer, it's nice to see what actual Hi-point owners have to say about 'em as opposed to the "gun snobs" who degrade them just because of the price.(personally I think they're just upset because I can buy 2 hi-points & a truckload of ammo for about what they paid for their "snob gun". :p ) I was looking into getting a .40 cal just to have one & in talking to my local gun shop guy he says they're coming out with the carbine in .45 ACP :D so I think I'm holdin' off for that :cool: Good luck & have fun.

chris in va
August 24, 2005, 12:05 PM
Mmm...45...mmm. :D

Davy Jones
August 24, 2005, 12:28 PM
that would be interesting... I wish kel tec would make a .45 version of their carbine too.

don't shoot it's me
August 24, 2005, 03:38 PM
I just ordered one so I could respond to this thread...can you guys keep it going for 10 days? Thanks...

usmc smiley
August 24, 2005, 09:49 PM
i have the 45 acp to big to pack and heavy..but never ftf or fte in over 2500 rounds, good gun good price how can you not like it. ps. it feeds hollow points and ball jest fine. my first post how am i doing.

CajunBass
August 25, 2005, 02:17 AM
my first post how am i doing.

Just fine to my way of thinking. :D

Dtron
August 25, 2005, 10:56 PM
Another carbine only owner. I just got it and shot it last week and really enjoyed it. No jams or anything. I've added the muzzle compensator and have ordered a 15 round mag that will hopefully arrive before I go to the range again Saturday.

RedRiver
August 25, 2005, 11:47 PM
Just as I expected. Everyone who owns one likes it. Already on a seperate thread today someone was bashing it that had never shot it! I thank everyone for their responses. Keep responding!

strange246
August 28, 2005, 12:03 AM
I'm another carbine owner, over 5,000 rounds through it, cleaned maybe 3 times, with a cheap 4x scope it's one of my favorite guns....Never had trouble....One thing I've heard alot of though, stay away from the Promag Magazines, tend to jam things up...

Toney
August 29, 2005, 12:08 AM
bought c9 for my youngest girl to shoot she did't realy like shooting the 45
i did't know that they were blowbacks . she liked shooting the 45 better
other than the very sharp recoil it was a very good gun trigger was as good
as some pistols costing much much much more ! we shot hundreds of rounds
of the 11 $ stuff from wal-mart only had two nose dives i think i got sand
in it picking up brass . traded it for my "first" endfield n1 m3 . would like to
shoot the 45 seen one for 125

Toney
September 2, 2005, 09:22 AM
Traded for the 45 yesterday. shot 60 fairly hot cast rounds. barrel bearly leaded. very accurate. trigger better then one on c9. felt like a strong bump rather then a sharp rap. very pleased even wife likes shooting this one.

Te Anau
September 2, 2005, 07:59 PM
I have a compensated 9mm handgun.Does it work---great--YES! Is it accurate?--far more than any gun in its price range has a right to be.It also fits my hand like a glove.I'm keepin mine. :D

kozak6
September 2, 2005, 10:23 PM
I have the carbine. It hasn't been very reliable lately, but that's because I haven't taken the time to take it apart and clean and oil it properly. All Hi-Points are real bears to get apart, keep that in mind.

If you are thinking about a pistol, I would suggest picking up a nice ALL STEEL CZ52 or a Bulgarian Makarov instead.

Te Anau
September 3, 2005, 11:05 AM
If you are thinking about a pistol, I would suggest picking up a nice ALL STEEL CZ52 or a Bulgarian Makarov instead.
Neither of which is available in 9x19,.40S&W or .45acp

CajunBass
September 3, 2005, 11:37 AM

Both of which, at least around here will cost you at least as much if not more than a Hi-Point. I've only seen one CZ52, that was used, and the dealer was asking the same price for it as I paid for my Hi-Point, 9mm.

I paid more for my Makarov than I did for my Hi-Point, and it of course isn't a 9mm either. Ammo for it in stores around here costs $14-21.00 a box, for FMJ. Hollow Points are more. I can order it off the net for a lot less of course, but I think that's a pain in the butt myself. I can walk into Wally World and buy 9mm for less.

Do they work better? I don't know about the CZ52, I've never shot one, but I admit my Makarov is a shooting little gun. It has never malfunctioned with Wolf or Fiocchi FMJ ammo, which is all I've ever shot in it, and it is VERY accurate. You won't hear me say anything bad about a Mak, other than the local ammo costs.

On the other hand, my Hi-Point has only jammed twice in about 1000 rounds, and it shoots better than I can. A couple of the 9mm carbines are way up on my list of "wants" now.

hksigwalther
September 5, 2005, 08:17 PM
I wanted to know the same thing. So I bought one. (C-9, 9mm) I like it. It works. I think they're a bargain.

Same here except with a C-9 Comp.

newcastlejudo
September 25, 2005, 01:07 AM
I bought my first gun yesterday. I picked the .40 s & W Hi point carbine. I shot it today. It was the 1st time I fired since leaving the Army in '95. At 25-50yrds I was hitting head shots and center shots. I love the sight. If I can Hit the target I know Momma can. My buddy also shot it (he shoots often) . He was surprised how accurate it was. I shot 100 rounds with no issues. It felt sturdy to me. I am happy ! It had a good pop to it too. Some good power to it too. I paid about $220 (with tax) and will buy another. One for everyone in the family (eventually) . The gun shop owner actually had good things to say about the .45 cal hand gun. Are they really comming out with a .45 cal carbine? I do wish I can find a higher capacity magazine for it.

denfoote
September 25, 2005, 02:28 AM
From what I'm reading here, maybe those things have gotten better!!
I had one in about 85 or 86 (I don't remember which it was any more). It turned out to be the most dangerous piece of crap I ever owned!! Jams everywhere!! But the kicker was the slamfire!! Good thing I was out in the desert when it happened!! It got dismantled and buried that day!!

Would I buy another one?? I might, but I think I'd buy the carbine first!!

CajunBass
September 25, 2005, 05:44 AM
Maybe somebody can tell me. Is there a difference in the carbine and the handgun? It looks to me like the carbine is just the handgun with a longer barrel and a stock?

RedRiver
September 25, 2005, 11:07 PM
I guess they're the same but I don't know for sure. I don't own the carbine. I own the C9 9mm. It hasn't jammed once. It's accuracy is so good it's creepy. Go figure.

308Enfield
September 26, 2005, 10:38 AM
I have a 9mm carbine and a .45 pistol - the newer polymer framed one, I bought both NIB. The carbine came first and is great fun. I haven't put a lot of rounds through it, but from what shooting I have done with it its fun, accurate, and I haven't had any problems.

The .45 is good mechanically, certainly not a combat-ready kind of handgun, but a long way from being junk either. The catch I've run into and heard from others is that Hi-Point mags SUCK! :barf: :mad: I had to modify mine with a pair of pliers to get to feed and I understand that its a common problem. If you get one of their handguns I'd say be prepared to do some magazine tweaking to get it to work properly.

gb_in_ga
September 26, 2005, 11:41 AM
Ya know, I've been thinking about getting a cheap-o 9mm pistol just for range & plinking use, and I could care less about the looks or the "studly" factor. Maybe a Hi-Point would do.

And it hadn't even dawned on me to consider one of those Hi-Point carbines as a SHTF/truck gun, of which I'd been looking to get as well. What do ya'll think of it as a SHTF/truck gun? How durable and reliable is it? Can it hit something out at 100 yards with stock iron sights? I assume so, if coke can plinking at 50 yards is doable.

If they actually work as ya'll say they do, there might be a couple of Hi-Points in my future, even if they are a hassle to clean. There's lots to say for cheap and functional.

Crosshair
September 26, 2005, 02:38 PM
How does a person tell how old their Hi-Point carbine is? (9mm) I bought mine used and I am good out to 100 yds with open sights. (I want to put a scope on it.) The Promag 15 round mags are NOT worth it. (I have 3 of them) I have gotten them to work, but they need to be tweaked and are only good for about 12 rounds tops, though this may be because mine is probably an older one. Just get several 10 round mags.

With any Hi-Point mag you need to whack it so the bullets seat right. If you don't it will work most of the time, but a good whack with each mag makes everything work 100%.

Pietro Beretta
September 26, 2005, 05:49 PM
The Hi-Point. The C-9. www.mkssupply.com

*The Bad*
Its Bulky, It doesn’t fit my had well, its heavy for a poly gun, it’s ugly, You have to drift pins to strip it, inside machining is very rough, Trigger pull sucks, does not feed hollow points reliably at all, magazine is a bit cheap when loading I have to pay attention to make sure the final rounds nose is pointed up, and not down. (as long as the final round in the magazine is pointed up, I have no problems)

The Good
It costs 130$ out the door, I have never had a failure to extract, you can toss the gun around and not feel bad about it, it is very accurate. Customer service is great, 100% lifetime warranty even if your not the orginal purchaser

Do I like my Hi-Point C-9. Yes, Yes I do for what it is, a inexpensive plinking gun.

However since I have gotten my XD and CZ, and "inherited" my beretta and colt revolver, the hi point doesn’t get used at all.

junkman6970
September 26, 2005, 08:34 PM
I have had my C-9 Pistol for over a year now, I liked the price, It would stove pipe in the beginning and then I called the factory and they sent me out a new heavy spring and a firing pin and it does shoot good, I got my CCW permit with it. I carry it in my vehicle and in my home. I will get the carbine in a little while.

Ignition
September 27, 2005, 05:27 AM
owned my 9mm carbine for over a year and i love it.

200yards im hitting steel on every shot

25 yards and im almost punching the same hole every time
50 yards and im touching holes usually on the 10ring

i love the ghost ring sights on it

reliable, no real hopes at a high capacity double stack mag because of the handle internals and styling

havent looked at the high end mags.

i did cut some inches of the front of my stock then using parts of the cut pieces and some plastic bondo i was able to shorten the hand grip and use a barrel mount to mount a light underneath, instead of adding an even more ugly compensator to the end of it.

but if anything else... for the prices and the BEST WARRANTY ever... plus great customer serivce from an American Made gun(ohio) i really dont see why you couldnt just pick one up... i mean whats 1 more gun when it really could cost you less than 3 weeks worth of ammunition is you like to shot alot

XDoctor
September 27, 2005, 11:23 AM
I had a 9mm, it never jammed and always went boom when I pulled the trigger. Then one day, I decided to clean it. After several hours of attempting to remove the takedown pin, I sprayed it full of brake cleaner. All sorts of black nasties came flowing fourth. Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.

It was fun while it lasted, but I would not buy another.

Crosshair
September 27, 2005, 02:49 PM
XDoctor

After several hours of attempting to remove the takedown pin, I sprayed it full of brake cleaner. All sorts of black nasties came flowing fourth. Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.

You realise that brake cleaner will melt almost ANY plastic. Very bad idea to use it on plastic guns like the hi-point/Glock/anything else with a polymer frrame or plastic components. Using break cleaner is not a fault of the gun.

Toney
September 28, 2005, 03:03 PM
From what i understand highpoint would still take care of your melted pistol.
I'm still waiting for our new 45 to jam

Pietro Beretta
September 28, 2005, 06:54 PM
Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.

A lot of plastics will melt on firearms, only a few seem to be able to resist the "melting" effects of brake cleaner.

I would talk to mksupply complain a little. I wouldnt be surpised if they gave you a new firearm. (however still; I wouldnt hold my breath)

CajunBass
September 29, 2005, 05:20 AM
I sprayed it full of brake cleaner. All sorts of black nasties came flowing fourth. Then the trigger melted. That's right, melted.

http://www.clean4less.com/_FileLibrary/Product/5052/CRC%20brake.jpg

http://www.gunaccessories.com/BirchwoodCasey/33235_lrg.jpg

Not the same thing.

sltintexas
September 29, 2005, 06:31 PM
Heck xdoctor, if you still have it, I'll buy it from you (for cheap of course)... :cool:

DiplomaticBlackHawk
September 29, 2005, 09:59 PM
Hey man that can of chlorinated brakleen is giving me flashbacks of my days with Advance Auto Parts.But anyway , I had a hi-point and when it FLEW apart I got dropped off at the house and walked about 35 mins down dixie to MK and they not only gave me a new one , they gave me 4 clips of my choice " anyone with jamming problems try 8or9 in a 10 rounder , Bet it takes care of the problem" I think they just need a little lip work and I bet money that is not a consistant rate spring in the mag.But anyway they gave the whole setup , a bag of mags , and a ride home.Now that is customer service.They guy may have been going that way but he could have said sc### ya buddy.I got the new one whice worked much better .You may think I'm crazy for taking the time but I tore it down , looked at the design , cleaned it/ used some common sense and smoother it out in some areas and then found it's downfall.HP bullets take chunks out of the feed ramp that is make out of aluminum and some layout die showed the ramp could use A LOT OF WORK , but aluminum didn't take that much time at all.Polished it after blending it untill it felt good on the action then god even more bored so I took a rivit and cut the ball off to make a pin that would have a spline and still come out easy.Now it is the best gun I have for all around dogging.It takes hp's , everything else , NEVER jams and is more accurate just because I feel better about the safety of this fire arm" partly the reason for my pin idea , ala last one in face" Now I do not recommed anyone try these modification if you are not VERY knowledgible when it come to gunsmithing .Most of these mods where just for fun and to see if it really helped with the only thing that did was no hp's or the ramp work.Also for one last thing , anyone with the c9 check your feed ramp for the hollow point chunks out of the ramp then take the mag and feel the front rounded edge for a massive burr,ect, and then taper it , then smooth it out , not only will it make the mag feed better " only if you rework the inside and out by where the bullet is pointing twards in the mag" and it will pop in and out without bind.Remember unless you bored and know what you are doing just do the mag trick and use moly coated lead because I think even the fmj's rough up the ramp and lead will feed and shoot better out of it . don't trust me , trust yourself.Good shooting and enjoy that you can spend the time learing everything that you need to be proficent with most any gun " that ton of ammo you can buy now is good too"

joecad
October 1, 2005, 12:02 AM
i have had both...the 9 mm compensated and the carbine.
first the pistol....the barrel is fixed to the frame ....permantly...IMHO it gives it very surprising accuracy. the gun is not intended to be broken down like a 1911 or a ruger....you are just supposed to clean the barrel and the ejection port...at least thats what my manual said....now with the advent of polymer friendly cleaners like birchwood casey's poly cleaner you can go beyond the recomended basic cleaning without driving the roll pin from the pin to remove the slide or you can send it to them and they will fix what ever is wrong if anything and spruce it up....good people. i sold the pistol to one of my oldest and best friends.....he shot it all the time with me....he wanted it, i wanted to get a 45 so i sold it to him....he is still one of my best friends.
the carbine is a great little carbine... mine is plenty accurate....use it all the time to kill raccoons and possums trying to get in the hen house.....about 35 yards from the back deck....never have missed one shot kills all.

hi-point has great customer service....there guns are fairly accurate. the finish on the metal slide is one of the toughest i have seen...dropped it on concrete, gravel and rocks and stones.....not one chip....i wish i knew what they used.

if you are looking for a starter pistol or truck gun or a range or plinker...you can't go wrong with them. after break in i think they are ok for carry.....like to the barn or road just for insurance....i used to carry mine all the time and like i said after break in not one malfunction and i know that by the time i sold it that it had at the very least 2000 rounds thru it.

Te Anau
October 1, 2005, 11:14 AM
After several hours of attempting to remove the takedown pin, I sprayed it full of brake cleaner.
Or two minutes in my case. ;)

Sriracha
October 9, 2005, 02:30 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm a new member of this group, but have been lurking for some months.

I recently started grad school in Atlanta. Being on a student budget, I moved into a less-than-upscale neighborhood. After a rather frightening late-night experience, I decided to shop around for an 'adequate' gun that would be more effective than a baseball bat.

I bought the C-9, and my experiences with it closely match many of yours. On my first box of ammunition (Federal AE FMJ), I had two failures to feed -- both times were when I loaded the magazine with the full 8 rounds. After oiling the feed ramp and the 'lip' of the magazine, I haven't had this problem again. Nonetheless, I will store my Hi-Point at home with only 7 rounds of FMJ until I'm sure that the feed system is broken in.

Accuracy? As a novice shooter, this is hard to assess, but I'm pretty sure I can hit a bad guy at 15 ft range. Basically, I can shoot it as well as the Walther P1 that I was renting, but it's possible that my lower skill level will drown out the inherent accuracy of better guns.

Additional points:
1) There is too much play between the slide and the rest of the gun. The slide can deflect about 1/16" relative to the barrel -- this is of course a problem because the sights are on the slide. The main spring somehow keeps the slide pressed up in its top-most position, but I'm not 100% confident that the slide and sights will always return to the same position. In practice, the accuracy hasn't suffered much at 15', but it'd be nice if there wasn't so much wiggle-room.

2) The gun rattles. Part of this is due to (1). However, I took the gun apart and found that most of the sound comes from a sear counterweight that prevents the sear from letting go if the gun is dropped on its handle. The counterweight is supposed to dangle freely, and this rattle is not a mechanical problem.

3) I wish the rear sight was more robust. It is mounted on a plastic ramp, and can be pressed in and out like a spring. Again, no problems with accuracy so far, but it would be nice if the sight was immobile.

4) As mentioned before, stripping/disassembly is very difficult the first time -- you have to remove a friction-fit pin with a mallet and punch. It is much easier the second time.

In summary:
This is not a high-quality firearm, but it performs its main function adequately. If I could do it all over, I would carefully consider two alternatives that cost just a bit more: a Bulgarian Makarov and Keltec P-11.

- Sriracha

OuTcAsT
January 8, 2006, 08:47 PM
I have owned the 9MM carbine for a couple of years, have fired more than 2000 rounds thru it with NO problems... 10 in 10 out. and it is as accurate as any weapon I own. Have recently purchased the .40 Pistol, have found it to be every bit as reliable as the carbine. would I depend on it as my primary weapon ? YES. HI-Point makes a product that far surpasses the expectations for a weapon of this price. It's GREAT to fnd a company that gives you real value for your money.:cool:

CajunBass
January 9, 2006, 10:21 AM
:eek:

They're like Zombie's.

Lock one Hi-Point thread, and another one comes back from the dead.

:eek:

:D

JR47
January 9, 2006, 10:34 AM
Heaven help us, Jack Malloy must be raising them up!!!!:)

It's ANOTHER thread of satisfied customers!!!

1inthechamber
January 9, 2006, 11:37 AM
I didn't even get a chance to reply to Jack's post. Guess I'll use this thread to do so.

:)

I noticed he said that my gun was a jamamatic, but when he said he'll take up the offer of having a Hi-Point loaded and pointed at him then pull the trigger he mentioned he would want me to use either of the 2 HE used.

Hmmm...

I don't like to argue online, so I'll say that Jack 'wins'.

EDIT: By the way, I wouldn't shoot anyone. It was just sarcasm. ;)

barnetmill
January 9, 2006, 03:50 PM
I just purchased in the last month a used 9 mm carbine. For the money it is a great deal. However, as a camping carbine it has one serious failing that no one has mentioned. The line of sight must be at least an inch and half higher than the bore. This will cause me to miss a snake's or squirrel's head unless you aim really high at close range. I may eventually buy some other type of carbine that has a more useful sighting alignment. Maybe in .357 sig when it becomes available in a carbine.

Another possible problem is that when I snug the stock firmly against my should, the stock flexes. I have not yet taken the gun to an ourdoor range and have only function fired in my 50 ft indoor range. God that russian that I am shooting smokes like a flare. I still do not know what type of groups I will get with this gun. Just picked up two extra clips. I wish the clips double column, but they work and 10 is enough, but not as much fun when locally sold russian is going for 4.88/ 50 rd box.

My dealer test fired the gun with mix commercial hollow point and it functioned without problem.

I am shooting blaser and steel case russian through the gun. There were initially a few failures to feed with the russian that I cured by lubing the gun. I still getting to know this gun and I think it will develope into a good friendship.

1inthechamber
January 9, 2006, 05:08 PM
Lubing the gun. That's something I'll never forget to do. I didn't clean my gun before my failures, but with a good cleaning and better ammo, it's working just fine now.

I would like to get a 9mm carbine, but for now I'm still enjoying my C9. :)

BADMAN400
January 10, 2006, 01:25 AM
I own three Hi-Point guns; A C-9 9mm, a JHP .45 ACP, and a .40 S&W Carbine, and I love 'em all! They all shoot flawlessly. I did have a minor problem with the 9mm at first. It started dropping the clip. I called MKS and they sent me a new clip spring, release button and retainer. It arrived 3 days later. In less than 10 minutes I installed the new parts and it has been a perfect gun. As far as accuracy, the .40 carbine is amazing! Ugly they may be, but they are reliable, and tough. I haven't regretted my Hi-Point purchases at all. :)

Hi-Point C-9 9mm
Hi-Point JHP .45 ACP
Hi-Point .40 S&W Carbine
Kel-Tec P32 .32 cal.
Taurus PT-145 .45 ACP
Beretta 9000S .40 S&W
Bond Arms Texas Defender .410/.45 LC
Mossberg 500A 12 GA
Iver Johnson .410

mordis
January 10, 2006, 09:51 AM
well. im not sure how i got the last hi point thread locked, tho my post was the last one on it, all i said was i agreed with some of what jack said, but mentiond that the carbine was a fine weapon.

Mal H
January 10, 2006, 10:23 AM
To set your mind at ease, mordis, it wasn't your post that got it locked. There's always got to be a "last one", but it is extremely rare for a single post to be the only reason for closing an established thread.

I didn't even get a chance to reply to Jack's post. Guess I'll use this thread to do so.Glad you didn't. If the "conversation" in that thread is continued here, a lock may not be the only consequence.

mordis
January 10, 2006, 11:13 AM
LOL thanks mal. i feel better, Truthfull i feel that, those that hate hi points need to go out and buy one and shoot them. like i said i only have shot the carbine and loved it, i do plan on going and ordering the .45 with the optional laser sight. and ill right a indepth review when i get it. not like it will cost me much. MY only question to "those who know" is, if y ou have never shot or owned one, why continue to degrade those that do, and the firearms they chose to buy.

JR47
January 10, 2006, 01:00 PM
Mal H, I'd suggest that you check out Mr. Malloy's comments in "Piece of Crap Guns" then. It appears that he's carried his exact same diatribe into that thread. There was little mention of the weapons prior to him and his zincammatic whine appearing, again.:barf: :barf: :barf:

Toney
January 10, 2006, 01:01 PM
Did it get locked because two guys were talking about pointing there pistols at each other???

1inthechamber
January 10, 2006, 04:02 PM
If it was closed because of my comments I apologize. To reiterate, it was meant as sarcasm and nothing serious. I would never shoot anyone much less point a gun at them. It was only meant as an example. Again I apologize if someone misunderstood my intentions.

CajunBass
January 10, 2006, 05:11 PM
I have come to realize that you can't discuss something with someone who wants to argue. There is a difference.

Te Anau
January 11, 2006, 11:32 AM
I have come to realize that you can't discuss something with someone who wants to argue. There is a difference.
If I were a certain someone,;) I would have better things to do than try to convince others what a horrible choice they made when they clearly like their gun.I still dont love Glocks,but I havent sold my 21 yet.:confused:

firestorm829
January 12, 2006, 06:43 AM
I have the C9 9mm and the carbine. The C9 I find to be heavy, but I like a heavy hand gun. I found that they both fire each and every time that I pull the trigger with no jams. I only have one complaint about them, that is breaking them down to clean them. They both use pins, and are a total hassel to strip them. I find it easier to give them a once over, without field stripping them. If someone knows an easy way to clean them, I would love to hear about it.

donberry
January 12, 2006, 11:02 AM
ignoring all of the stupid stuff said about the C9, after shooting over 1500 rounds thru mine, I have found something that bugs me.
It may just be me, but there are a couple of times I inadvertantly hit the mag release button and the magazine dropped out. I do not know if it is the placement of the button or just the ignorant guy holding it, but it is something I have to keep in mind now.

BADMAN400
January 12, 2006, 01:13 PM
Don,
I had the same problem with my C-9 dropping the magazine shortly after I bought the gun. I called MKS and talked to a tech. He was very helpful and shipped out the spring, clip retainer, and realease button that same day! Free! It arrived in the mail about 3 days later and in ten minutes I had the grips pulled, retainer/button installed and back together. Simple install, and much better than sending the gun back and waiting. Since then, my C-9 has functioned perfectly! Haven't dropped a single clip. So, no it isn't you. But in answer to the guy that posted before you. I agree that the field strip could be a little easier. But short of the old mallet and punch to remove the clip I don't know of an easier way. Another rep from MKS sent me an email advising that I should only use some break-free spray and never take it apart at all. What the heck, if it breaks it's guaranteed for life. :)
Wade

Dave686
January 12, 2006, 04:57 PM
I tried to buy one last weekend. My dealer said he couldn't get one and another local dealer wanted more than MSRP. :confused:

BADMAN400
January 12, 2006, 06:14 PM
Dave,
I'm not surprised! Some of the gun shops in my area don't even sell Hi-Point guns at all. They seem to think it's "beneath" them. But some others are catching on to what we Hi-Point owners already know. They're worth more than they cost! Some are probably raising the prices to capitalize on that. Shoot well, be safe. :)

Jart
January 12, 2006, 06:38 PM
local dealer wanted more than MSRP.

Pawn shop locally has a C-9 for 295.00. Makes me wonder what kind of people go in there. He evidently moves enough of 'em though.

1inthechamber
January 12, 2006, 06:40 PM
The only store that sells here sells alot. They ran out of the C9 when I bought mine (I got the last one).

Dave, don't give up, once you get one and start shooting it, you'll enjoy it just as much as the other Hi-Point owners. I know I am!

Side note: Went to the range today and shot 100 more rounds of CCI Blazer Brass without any problems. I can't praise CCI Blazer enough, it really does make a difference. ;)

BADMAN400
January 12, 2006, 06:52 PM
I don't know what area of the country you're in Dave, but here in SC my C-9 was $159 NIB. And when I went to another gun shop 5 miles away to get an extra clip for it, he said he could've sold it to me for $135. Today I went to the range to test a recently repaired Beretta 9000S. I also shot my new Bond Arms Texas Defender derringer with .410 shotshells in it. What a cannon. But the last one I shot was my trusty Hi-Point C-9. What a pleasure to shoot, and it sure made me feel great hitting the bullseye so consistently from 5 yards 6 yds out! :)

Dave686
January 12, 2006, 07:06 PM
I’m thinking here lately I’m in the wrong part of the country; at least for buying guns. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/hahano.gif

I’m in the Nashville area. I moved here from Illinois where I had a couple of dealers that treated me right. I have been trying to buy the new S&W M&P since they started shipping. Up North they are selling for $530-$550. Down here I have been able to find one dealer that has them and they want $629. I offered $550, but they wouldn’t take it. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/banghead.gif

Then while I’m talking to one dealer about the S&W I ask, by the way do you have a H-Point .45? He tells me he does, and that its $199. MSRP on the Hi-Point website is $179. http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y111/TourGlide/Web%20Stuff/leaving.gif

oldguy52
January 18, 2006, 05:18 PM
I'm not an owner, but I have shot a friends 380 and couldn't get it to group. I didn't have any problem with my pistol (not a hipoint). That gun had less than 100 rounds though it and the fellow was telling how accurate it was. Also a buddy of my son brought his up to shoot and wasn't having much better luck when comparing it to the son's (cal 40 S&W and again not a hipoint) That was a 9mm and it was all over the target and the woods. I know it's not a lot but that's my experience with them. On the plus side they are cheap and they are made in the USA which helps the country's tax base. Anything that goes bang is alot of fun, but I'd get out and try one before I take anyones word on perfomance. Remember not all hunters/shooters BS, but a lot of BSer's hunt/shoot.

BADMAN400
January 18, 2006, 07:29 PM
Old Guy,
I've never shot a 380, but I do own a 9mm & .45 semi-pistols, and a .40 carbine rifle, all by Hi-Point. As a boy I shot my father's guns but, at 46 yrs old I have only gotten involved with shooting again in just the past 3 months or less. So, needless to say I'm no expert marksman. And I can only give my experience but, I have gone from, "all over the target and woods," to some pretty tight groups with both Hi-Point handguns at around 15-30ft, and pie-plate sized groups at 100 yds. with the Hi-Point Carbine in a short time! My experience has been great so far, at least in this novice's humble opinion. I did find the handguns to be a little unwieldy at first, but soon became used to the feel and quickly improved. If not for the weight, I would trust any of my Hi-Points for SD. At present I own several other types of handguns, and I will admit they are all very different to shoot. As a result it takes me some time to adjust for accuracy when switching from any one, to another. And with practice one does improve. Still a Hi-Point fan! Shoot well-be safe. :)

1inthechamber
January 18, 2006, 07:40 PM
I'm not a great shot either, but everyone had to begin somewhere. I am starting to get my groups closer together. I'm just having a blast shooting the Hi-Point. :)

duck911
January 18, 2006, 09:08 PM
Can someone please give us a little heads up on the ballistics differences between the 40 S&W and 9 MM carbine? I already have a 9MM (Ruger) so having another 9MM would make bulk ammo purchases easier, but if there is a real positive downrange difference with the 40 over the 9MM out of the carbine, I would buy the 40...

Any ideas?

rcwpop
January 18, 2006, 11:04 PM
I worked in a gun shop for a couple years and we sold a fair number of these guns and although I do not have an exact count I would estimate that 2 out of 3 sold came back for one reason or another. In my humble opinion there are a number of weapons out there that would still be considered "Saturday Night Specials" that are far superior.

Backstrap

oldguy52
January 19, 2006, 12:41 AM
Glad to hear the hipoints are working out for you Badman. It's good to see a US company is producing a product at that price and not importing it from overseas. However in my defense to my posting, I was just answering the question posed by the fellow that was looking for first hand info on the hipoints. The one I shot didn't do it. I'm not a super shot like some, but I do expect that when I have the sight on the dot and the gun goes bang that the bullets will end up somewhat together. That didn't happen with the 380ACP hipoint for me. It did happen with my old 45 pistol that I hadn't shot in a couple of years. As for the 9, I know the guy wasn't happy with the performance and he shoots it regularly. But I agree with you that there are a lot of different facets to shooting each gun. So my humble advice to a new buyer is do the research and then go try one for themselves. But take a friend with something else to compare to. A sharp stick will do the job. But there are things that might do it better if you have a chance to look around.
Now if you want something for house protection I recomend getting a 12ga shotgun with a short barrel and keep a five gallon pail of drywall compound around in case you ever have to use it.

Te Anau
January 19, 2006, 11:49 AM
Now if you want something for house protection I recomend getting a 12ga shotgun with a short barrel and keep a five gallon pail of drywall compound around in case you ever have to use it.
:confused:

Dave686
January 19, 2006, 12:45 PM
In my humble opinion there are a number of weapons out there that would still be considered "Saturday Night Specials" that are far superior.

Which .45 semi autos would those be? :confused:

CajunBass
January 19, 2006, 04:31 PM
In my humble opinion there are a number of weapons out there that would still be considered "Saturday Night Specials" that are far superior.

While you're at it. Which 9mm's (9x19) would those be? I might want one.

Jart
January 19, 2006, 08:58 PM
I've posted in a couple of Hi-Point threads and never bashed the things. I'm no fan of zamak, but tried to stay honest about recent QC improvements...

That said....

I'm bettin' one Hi-Point guy is about to trade up, real soon now...

He's postin' in the reloading forum.
:D :)

...time will tell.

newcastlejudo
January 19, 2006, 11:26 PM
I have a .40 carbine and a .40 pistol. Pistol has not had problem . I finally "zeroed " the carbine and I like it. I have had problems with the slide on the carbine but I beat the hell out of it and it works fine now.I could have sent it in but i like it at home. If it continues to give me problems I will . I hear they hand out extra magazines for your troubles. I'm considering the 9mm copmpact, but may go kel tec or taurus. I like the hi points .

CajunBass
January 20, 2006, 04:33 AM
I'm bettin' one Hi-Point guy is about to trade up, real soon now...

I guess I'm a "Hi-Point guy," and I'm thinking I might get a 1911 of one kind or another soon. Leaning toward a Springfield GI. Not sure just yet. That has nothing to do with what I think of my Hi-Point though. I've already got a half dozen other handguns. They had nothing to do with me buying a Hi-Point.

Jart
January 20, 2006, 07:28 AM
Actually, I had someone else in mind, but no matter.

The more the merrier.
Reloading Kunbaya.
:)

CajunBass
January 20, 2006, 10:13 AM
Actually, I had someone else in mind, but no matter.

I didn't think you meant me. I haven't posted in the reloading forum. :)

I used to reload back in the 80's when I was shooting with a local IPSC club. I started with a Lee Loader, and a plastic hammer, and ended up with most all the goodies. I don't know how many rounds of 45 acp I put up with that Lee Loader, but it was a BUNCH. :D

I wish I still had that 70 series Colt too.

http://www.glocktalk.com/images/smilies/brick%20wall.gif

nvankalker
January 20, 2006, 08:20 PM
keep our money do not buy one they are cheap I know I bought one:(

jsflagstad
January 26, 2006, 09:23 AM
I now have 3000+ rounds through my Hi-Point Comp 9mm and it never missed a beat. It eats everything I feed it with out a problem right up to my +P handloads (450+ ft/lbs). Has proven to be quite an accurate gun as well. I have the 40 S&W as well, but haven't shot that quite as much. Had to send the 40 back one time and it turned out that the extractor was just a bit out of adjustment. I may pick up one in 45acp as well if I find a good deal on one.

From the mixed reviews, I guess they may have made some not so good ones but I guess the two I have are not those. I would say that I am completely happy and satisfied with them, and they shoot as well as the higher priced HK that is in my safe. I have had both of my Hi-Points apart, for general tune up and what I call a "Fluff and Buff" where I polish up some of the internals. Maybe that makes all of the difference?? Not sure but mine really shoot...

JSF:D

1inthechamber
January 26, 2006, 11:11 AM
JSF, what parts do you polish up? I was thinking of polishing the feed ramp.

jsflagstad
January 26, 2006, 12:26 PM
I did polish the feed ram, although neither of mine ever gave me feeding problems. I also polished and fitted all of the trigger mechanism. Ran a light polishing compound down the bore and into the chamber to remove any burrs. Polished the firing pin tunnel and slide mechanism. The tunnel where the firing pin and spring sit on mine were very rough cut and the polishing made everything move smoother.

This all made the gun feel much better and improved accuracy. I may do a little more trigger work as I thing there is a little more room for improvement there.

These guns are incredibly simple and it is easy to identify improvements once you have them apart.

I am working on a mold for some custom softer urethane grips for mine (for the 9mm and the larger frame 40). Would anyone else have any interest in these? I suppose they could be done in different colors as well. Any Ideas?;)

Have Fun,

JSF:D

marshall2
January 15, 2007, 06:08 PM
Hi-Point Link Central is....

http://www.mouseguns.com/hipoint/hipoint.htm

BADMAN400
January 15, 2007, 08:39 PM
Here's the link to the new Hi-Point Forum. Great crowd, great information.:cool:
http://hipoint.7.forumer.com/index.php

jsflagstad
January 15, 2007, 08:53 PM
+1 on the Hi Point Forum, those guys over there are great!

It is amazing how many people are Hi Point owners and shooters now. I bought one out of curiosity several years ago, and I now own 4 (2 handguns and 2 carbines). I probably shoot my Hi Points more than any of the other 25+ guns in my collection.

I guess I had to prove it to myself that these guns were worthy. My conclusion: They are...

JSF

hdawson228
January 15, 2007, 11:06 PM
I'm another one that was intrigued by the threads about Hi-Points. Owners seemed so well satisfied and those posting against the HP, claiming they were junk, for the most part never owned one and some even hadn't handled one. I decided I had to find out for myself. A small investment of $129 and I was off to the range. With 6-700 rounds so far, not one hiccup or failure of any kind. I use both 8 and 10 round mags. I fire fmj and jhp Federals. They offer the most comprehensive warranty of the industry and are Made in America. Mine is the C9, 9mm compact and I always shoot it along with my Springfield 1911, .45.

Please, keep this thread CIVIL. :cool:

BADMAN400
January 16, 2007, 01:02 AM
JSF, I also have 4 HP's (2 pistols-the C-9 and the jhp.45, the 995 and the 4095 carbines) and I enjoy them all. I installed the ATI stock on the 995 carbine. and I put "Bubba grips" (cut sections of bicycle tube) on the grips of both pistols and the 4095. The rubber gives a good secure feeling grip. I would be interested to see the new grips you're making. If it's not too much trouble, send me an email with some pics when you get them ready. If they work well, maybe you can present them to the guys at the HP forum and get some orders.

Hdawson228, congrats and welcome to the fold. You'll enjoy your new HP. And if anything ever goes wrong, just call HP and they'll make it right. Their customer service and warranty is the best!:cool:

jsflagstad
January 16, 2007, 08:34 AM
It is great to see that the Hi Points are catching on so well. I think it is because that they are a fairly inexpensive, fairly accurate, simple gun that people can have fun with. I love to shoot mine and I do alot as I am nearing the 5000 round mark in both my Comp 9mm and my 40S&W handguns. Mine have proven themselves to many on numerous occasions. I challenged my father to a "for guns" shoot (He wins and he goes home with his and mine and vice versa), he has a 1911 S&W 10mm and he declined the challenge after he saw me hit numerous double and triple taps on plates out to 20 yards.

There is nothing wrong with these guns, and I think there is a lot of nah-sayers eating crow from their comments early on.

Have fun...

JSF

Jbar4Ranch
January 16, 2007, 11:09 AM
I've had experience with two C-9's, and I'm quite impressed. One was $99 new, and the other, $109. I can't make them fail, even limp-wristing/weak gripping it to the point of holding the gun only with my trigger finger pushing back on the trigger against the web of my hand with the rest of my fingers outstretched and not touching the gun at all. Light bullets, heavy bullets, jacketed, cast, fast, slow, +P, ball, or hollowpoints makes no difference, it works every time.

kenneth owens
January 16, 2007, 04:01 PM
I have had my 995 for 3yrs nothing broke,lose,rusted,installed an aim-point
red-dot very accurate.the warranty is the best, made in the united states
which is a rare thing! my dads 45 out shot me shooting hk mark23:eek: :eek:
they function flawlessly in my view:) you either like them or you dont.I have
pumped thousands of rds out of my 995 +p +p+ reloads I had 1 box of reloads
which would not work the action due to low powder charge my fault:o guys
these things WORK ! if you dont have one try one out. the only thing I am upset about is the 45 carbine is not out yet L.O.L

hdawson228
January 17, 2007, 05:52 AM
Is there any better, more comprehensive warranty than this? ? ? ? ?

"All Hi-Point Firearms carry a Lifetime, No-Questions Asked
Warranty. If any Hi-Point Firearm is ever need of service,
please call 877-425-4867. Whether you are the original
purchaser, or a third-hand owner, your Hi-Point firearm will
be repaired free of charge." (From the official website)

NRAhab
January 17, 2007, 12:29 PM
I recently purchased my first Hi Point firearm. A very complete view of my thoughts can be found here (http://churchoftheduke.blogspot.com/2007/01/on-gun-snobbery.html).

Also, if you enjoy my blog, tell others.

jamephipp
February 3, 2008, 07:45 PM
I've had the Hi point 45 acp since june and have dumped 6000 rounds thru it. Cheap, Ugly yes but most amazing thing is it will be dead nuts on at 75 yards. That's right I couldn't believe it either. it's a pistol not a carbine. I've had no issues with the pistol after break in I had 2 extraction failures the first 150 rounds other than that it keeps on hammering them out.

:D

ShootemDown
February 3, 2008, 08:48 PM
I own the 9mm carbine, plus the ATI stock.

I was horrified with the quality of the build.

upon removing the stock, found it was two halves of a plastic clamshell that flexes and bends.

I have seen TV box cusions better made. * exaggeration

The clam shell was held with screws and U Clips.

If one was to butt stoke a BG, it would be akin to them getting hit with a wiffle bat.

the finish of the reciever was reminesent of 3rd world backyard garden tools.

I cant believe it. but for what it is, and for the price, fit and finish is secondary to a gun that actually works !

the poor people needs a product like this, cheap and works.. and truely ugly. :D

Perldog007
February 3, 2008, 09:20 PM
I got one just to have a cheap pistol to get back on the range with after time away from the shooting scene. I only had two nice revolvers and did not want to shoot them loose.

After the .40 I liked it so well I got the C9. I shot these while I decided what i wanted to get for a "real" pistol. Then I got an XD .45 and the obligatory mkIII. Next purchase is a JHP .45.

After I get my BH and a GP100, will get the carbines.

They are cheap, ugly, at times needing way too much TLC for the mags and sometimes the feed ramps need to be polished. Take down requires violence and punching out a roll pin. Harsh language may also be needed.

Still when some newbie with their thousand dollar gun looks at your target then peeks into your lane stall and sees that ugly block of zinc, that is it's own reward.

Crit21
March 3, 2008, 01:33 PM
I'm not saying that Hi-Point guns are the best hanguns on the planet, but it's easy to see that too many of the negative comments regarding Hi-Point are either:
- anecdotal or just plain lies to support their biased opinion that is not based on first-hand experience ("I know a guy who had one and it was crap")
- based on flawed logic ("It must be junk if it's so cheap")
- from owners who thought a cheap gun must need cheap ammo (and experienced the jamming that any gun would experience with crappy ammo)
- or from owners who didn't realize they could sent it back to the factory (made in the USA) for free repair under Hi-Point's "100% lifetime guarantee"

I've seen reviews from reliable industry sources (e.g., shootingtimes.com and defensereview.com) that all say the same thing: Despite the fact that the Hi-Point guns look clunky, they were all impressed. The guns were very accurate with no jams.

I plan to get both the 9mm and 45 ACP next week.

bakelite
March 6, 2008, 01:44 AM
They are kinda expensive paperweights.

JasonJ
March 6, 2008, 04:00 AM
well what are you doing using a firearm to hold down papers! unless its more targets at the outdoor range.

in all seriousness, looks, fit and finish aside, they just work.. and in the end, thats all that matters.

daferg2
March 6, 2008, 01:32 PM
Unlike a lot of amateur "gun experts" out there, my ego isn't too large to own one. It's hard to find many negative comments from people that actually have them. I may pick one up to target practice with and save some wear and tear on some of my "good" guns.

ElectricHellfire
March 6, 2008, 03:59 PM
I have a carbine and its great for plinking and such. A little on the rough side but functional and reliable nonetheless. A good value for the money. No experience with any HP handguns.

HeroHog
March 6, 2008, 04:06 PM
I bought a C9 yesterday. While I was there I played with a Kel-Tec P-11... went back and baught it today. Paid $145 for the C9 and $205 for the P-11.

KarrensMan69
June 30, 2008, 10:56 AM
I had the 995 a few years ago, and never had a problem w/ it. It fired every time, and hit the target if I did my part right. I had to sell it:( thanks to 19 tick turds crashing airplanes and the economic turmoil thereafter.:mad:

chubbmann
June 30, 2008, 11:07 AM
I have had my eye on the carbines and have always been amazed at the cheap price. I would not want the handgun for a carry weapon, but it is a good choice for a begining shooter as it is simple, durable, and cheap.

Te Anau
June 30, 2008, 02:22 PM
They are kinda expensive paperweights
That will shoot Wolf ammo all day without complaint!:D

rogertc1
June 30, 2008, 02:38 PM
I had one way back in the 90's in 9MM, they were all metal back them.
Ugly IMHO but it worked 110% of the time.
I sold it for more than I paid for it.
If you want a gun that shoots get it.
Kinda like a cheap Glock.:o

hustler
July 1, 2008, 06:14 PM
I have a carbine 9 mm and its very accurate with those peep sights for me. My friends often plink cans at 75 yards or so and hit once or twice per mag and this little rifle is rattling it around almost every shot.
I'll agree, its totally ugly. But I love the way it feels in the hands, especially when its up to your cheek ready to shoot.

I've also owned a 9mm pistol. I know you dont want second hand talk but I owned HIS EXACT gun after it was repaired so here is my story. My co-worker shooter buddy had this pistol and it would not fire after 500 rounds or so. He sent it back to high point, they replaced some parts (I believe firing pin and maybe a spring????) and was fine after that. All taken care of for free to him!

I bought it soon after because I wanted a 9mm pistol, it was my first. I didn't enjoy shooting it as much as I did the carbine. I never liked the feel of the pistol. It is very top heavy from my memory. When its shot it slings that heavy slide back and makes it feel (to me at least) like its pushing back with a rubbery resistance feel when it stops and slides back forward.
I dont know if thats explained very well, but I just didnt care for the feel, nor the looks. the rifle I could live with but the pistol is really ugly imo lol.
It shot fine though after that first repair for probably another 1000 rounds or so then I traded it off for a star b (LOVE this gun)

Brad