PDA

View Full Version : 1911, Norinco vs Rock Island

OkieCruffler
August 16, 2005, 01:16 PM
Been thinking about buying a 1911, mostly for just plinking around right now, but eventually want to add some custom parts here and there and maybe get into some bullseye shooting. A local place has a Norinco for $389 and a Rock Island for $369. Both are in very good condition with no frills. All things being equal, which is the better frame, and is there a better frame out there. I started this project once but bought a Llama frame only to find that not all 1911 parts are interchangable.

Ramcharger
August 16, 2005, 01:30 PM
The prices seem a little high. But not by much. But then prices have gone up alot in this year so. The Norinko is a all forged frame and slide. I had one a long long time ago and it was very rugged and accurate. I sold it to my brother who at the time competed in various competitions lke falling plates and stuff. It served him well under heavy and I mean heavy use. Anyways he divorced and was forced to sell his toys for leagal fees :(

Omaha-BeenGlockin
August 16, 2005, 01:32 PM
Does it have to be a 1911??

For that kind of money I'd get a new Ruger P90-----and stay away from those crap pistols.

XavierBreath
August 16, 2005, 02:00 PM
Norinco made (makes) some of the strongest forged frames and slides ever. They are frequently used for a base gun by customizers. People who have milled Norinco slides for Novak sights will attest to the ability of the steel to dull blades on a milling machine. Importation of the Norincos was halted during Clinton's term, and the supply in the US is limited. Finding an unmolested one is uncommon in my area. The direct competition for the Norinco in this market is Springfield's GI45. Some folks would say the Norinco was a better pistol, most will agree it's comparable. It will last forever. It is worth $390 in today's market, if you ask me.

The Rock Island does not compare in my book.

Logs
August 16, 2005, 02:38 PM
Another vote for the Norinco..... great gun.

Impact of Reason
August 16, 2005, 05:03 PM
wow that suprises me... having never fired or even handled either i cant claim to know anything about either. but i wouldnt have guessed that a company like norinco would make decent 1911s. but hey, life is full of surprises.

OkieCruffler
August 16, 2005, 05:53 PM
Well, those are the tagged prices and from experience I know cash can knock as much as 25% off depending on who I'm dealing with. Sounds like Norinco is the way to go.

Rabbi
August 16, 2005, 05:56 PM
I own both and have done extensive modifications to "customize" them. :)

Both are excellent pistols for the money, but the Nork edges out the Rock Island in metallurgy and the forged frame and slide are superior to any cast parts in my opinion. My R.I.A. has excellent fit and finish and compares with Springfields on equal footing.

Both the prices you describe are well within line, I believe.

IM_Lugger
August 16, 2005, 06:28 PM
A local place has a Norinco for $389 that's way to much!

FWI Norinco makes other guns not just 1911; they also make Sig, BHP and CZ copies...

XavierBreath
August 16, 2005, 06:53 PM
FWI Norinco makes other guns not just 1911; they also make Sig, BHP and CZ copies... Yep, I just bought a copy of the Browning 22 Auto rifle made by Norinco.

zzirg
August 16, 2005, 07:03 PM
i would buy the springfield gi that i seen at sportsmans warehouse in st.cloud minnesota for 419.00.

IM_Lugger
August 16, 2005, 07:09 PM
In Canada Norincos cost $325 CND (new)! Springfield is a better quality gun...

ShootCraps
August 16, 2005, 08:21 PM
Buy the Norinco. At those prices, it's the better deal.

Shorts
August 16, 2005, 11:40 PM
Norincos should be selling for $350. Anything else is too much. Unfortunately, it seems the cost has moved up and some are actually paying over $450. Anything over $420, I'd buy a Springfield anyway.

Between the Norinco and Rock Island, all things being equal, I'd take the Norinco. I saw a Norc Commander on Gunbroker for an excellent price and I'm sorta kicking myself for not bidding on it.

IronBalls
August 17, 2005, 12:28 AM
had a Norinco - positive experience. Choose it for its 'best of class' frame and slide steel,.. i built it up and it was verry fine, a prime canidate for future upgrades (its got fantastic bones)

pt92
August 17, 2005, 09:39 AM
I would take the norinco but that being said, I would buy a ruger for that price.

-Cheers

Eric Larsen
August 17, 2005, 10:07 AM
GET the NORK!!!!!!!!!

Omaha says................

"Does it have to be a 1911??

For that kind of money I'd get a new Ruger P90-----and stay away from those crap pistols."

Stick to the thread.......would ya?

Shoot well.

Shoot well.

OkieCruffler
August 17, 2005, 04:57 PM
The whole idea is being able to slap aftermarket stuff on it at some time. Not alot of Ruger goodies out there.

john in jax
August 17, 2005, 07:23 PM
Here's another thumbs up for the Norinco, they are tuff.

Matter of fact if you wanted .44 magnum power out of your 1911 platform Norinco is on the short list of approved frames for Clark Custom's 460 Roland conversion kit.

jrklaus
August 17, 2005, 08:27 PM
I'd go with the Norinco as well.

ulflyer
August 18, 2005, 08:06 AM
Got 4 all bought used all basically stock except one was chromed. All meet or exceed accuracy and functioning of my Colts and Springfield Target. Prices for the Norks varied from $300 to $500 (Tripps chromed; got carried away by the glitter :o ). Saw 2 on a gunshow table last saturday, used but nice, with boxes, for $399. They turned down my $350 offer and didn't bother to counter. However, as others have pointed out, thats awfully close to the price of a Springer GI if you can live with the little sights.

Signed: Duke of Nork :D .

OkieCruffler
August 18, 2005, 08:22 PM
I hadn't thought of the 460, but the 400 corbon peaks my interest from time to time.

jaysouth
August 18, 2005, 09:01 PM
The fire controls on the Norinco are all tool steel and after a little fitting and polish compare well with any premium price products out there. I have fixed up two of them. RIA and Springfield really need premium tool steel replacement parts to tune up nicely and keep them shooting for a long time.

There is one drawback to the Nork that you won't find with either RIA or SA. The slide is so hard that some smiths charge a premium to do millwork on them.

OkieCruffler
August 18, 2005, 10:35 PM
I figure eventually to repalce purt near everything but the frame, so the slide would go away anyhow.
I have some Contender projects I'm in the middle of, but I think I'll go put some money down on the Norinco this weekend.

seth
August 20, 2005, 10:48 PM
A 1911 for under $500 new, I didn't think they existed (please tell me I'm wrong, I really want to get one, but I'm on a college student budget).

NORINCO is a gun company out of the People's Republic of China, right? I remember the PLA using some Norinco assault rifles (AK ripoffs)....

jaysouth
August 21, 2005, 09:52 PM
Seth,

Norinco is an industrial conglomerate owned by the People's Liberation Army. They make warships, electrical generation equipment, and heavy production machinery as well as small arms. Compare to Mitsubishi or Daewoo.

My Nork .45s are very crudly finished and lack finess in fitting. However, there is not need to replace any internals if you can find a smith to polish and fit the tool steel fire controls that come with the gun.

seth
August 22, 2005, 12:45 AM
Heh, I didn't think I would ever find such high praise for a Communist Chinese 1911 copy! I may have to look into this...

Do they have the "Peoples Republic of China" engraved into the gun (in Chinese characters) though? That would be a huge turnoff to me.

EDIT: Does Taiwan (Republic of China) have similar, decent quality 1911 copies? I do know they manufacture their own Browning HPs, it is the standard sidearm of the RoC military, with "Republic of China" stamped into the frames.

joab
August 22, 2005, 01:07 AM
Do they have the "Peoples Republic of China" engraved into the gun (in Chinese characters) though? That would be a huge turnoff to me.
Right side
on frame-- Serial #

Left side
On Frame-- MADE IN CHINA BY NORINCO. CSI.ONT. CA
In small stamping

On Slide-- MODEL OF 1911A! 45 AUTOMATIC With a subdued Norinco emblem

It's all hardly noticeable even at arms length