PDA

View Full Version : Armalite AR?

Primer
August 15, 2005, 12:40 PM
I am thinking about picking up an Armalite AR in the near future. Other than what I have read in some articles I dont know much about them. I am looking for some feedback on them from anyone who owns one. Are they worth the extra money. How reliable/accurate are they compared to other models. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Clayfish
August 15, 2005, 02:26 PM
I don't own an armalite so take my comments as they are. I've been hearing on other boards that armalites are slipping in the qc area. There are alot of problem rifles being sold. That being said they are the origional ar. I say if you're going to spend that kind of money go ahead and get a colt. Or save some money and get a bushy, oly, rra, dpms, cav arms. and some mags and ammo. They are all very accurate rifles as the ar platform lends itself to accuracy and they don't have near the prodlems that most people think they do. have fun.

Logs
August 15, 2005, 02:35 PM
Armalites are pretty good guns, I haven't heard about any quality issues. Also check out double star's or bushmaster. www.centerfiresystems.com has double stars starting out at $699.

If you are looking for a Varmit / Flat top upper AR then check out www.unclelees.com They have a Armalite with stainless bull barrel, target trigger set up for $739, really good deal.

www.kyimports.com also has a good selection of AR's. I was in there today and saw they had one of the old SP-1 models (Vietnam era).

For the most part quality in AR's is pretty good, many of the parts are made by the same manufacture, but with different names. For example the lowers for Colt are made by the same company that makes lowers for Double Star.

308LAW
August 15, 2005, 03:33 PM
best bang for the buck, Bushmaster or DPMS or Rock River Arms
Armalite is a good rifle but they are like Colt anymore ,you pay for the name

AK103K
August 15, 2005, 05:28 PM
I have two, a M15A4(T) and a M15A4(C). Both are flat tops with 16" barrels, the (T) being a free floated target type gun, that is very accurate and had a great trigger out of the box and the the (C) is a carbine with mid length handguards, which I prefer over the shorter models with the barrel poking way out, as it looks better proportioned. It shoots like any of your normal AR's by a good maker. Its trigger is more of what you would expect from one too. Both rifles have been very reliable and I havent had any stoppages with either yet. I wouldnt hesitate getting another. When I got the (C), the comparable Bushmaster model was actually more money, so your really not paying any more and I believe the Armalites are the better rifle. I also have a Bushy Dissapator and a Colt SP1. Of them all the Bushy is definitely the hound of the bunch.

M15A4(T)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid169/p8366ce734247d1366c9d5de0ad0e2e56/f414a8ce.jpg

100 yards off bipod.. 5 rounds 55gr Nosler BT's over 4895(pays not to look at the group before your done :) )
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid61/p2a9937684151d8c8860706360adef6b7/fc279ec6.jpg

M15A4(C)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid161/p74ab2326e64202724bf0e01456e279f8/f4c8daae.jpg

keens
August 15, 2005, 06:38 PM
I have the AR-10 A2 carbine with 16-1/2 inch stainless barrel, and green furniture...it of course is a .308. The .223 version is a bit lighter but I like the power of the .308 in the AR-10.
I have had zero problems and zero malfunctions of any kind. Most 100 yard groups are 1 inch...I have it sighted in for right on at 100 and it shoots about 2 inches low at 200 but still a nice group of about 2-1/2 inches. I could no doubt do better, but the trigger is very heavy (my only complaint about it). Better triigers are easy, it just costs a little to get them. If I had to give up all my guns but one (long gun) this would be the one I would keep. Oh, btw I have a Leupold VXIII 3.5X10X40 scope on top just for fun. I love this gun...easy to clean too. I highly recommend them. Never heard of any quality problems...but every maker has them...they should make it good if you happen to have a problem. They have been very nice to me on the phone when ordering accessories.

Primer
August 16, 2005, 01:05 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. Its always good to get feedback before purchasing a product. I will probably pick one up next month after I get back from my deployment. Take care

shield20
August 17, 2005, 12:23 PM
Hi Primer,

I picked up a used AR-10A2 last week. I have not gotten to shoot it yet.

In the mean time, I have been really impressed with Armalite...1st above all the gun itself is tight and very well-made. Their website has TONS of info on their products including plenty of tech notes, FAQs, manuals and such; they also seem very support oriented for repairs and upgrades and the like. In a recent AR-15 magazine, there is an article about manufacturing at Armalite and it too seemed very positive - the steps they take to ensure a quality product etc. Also possibly one of only a few companies using forgings exclusively for receivers.(?)

I won't have the bottom line of course till I try mine out, but so far i am thrilled with my purchase, and the company.

Primer
August 18, 2005, 01:54 AM
Good to know Shield 20. Keep me posted if you will and let me know how your range time goes. I cant wait to get back to the states and further my ever-growing firearms collection.

Mannlicher
August 18, 2005, 06:31 PM
Armalite makes fine weapons. I have one of their A2 Shorties. Picked it up two years back at the Miami Gun Show for $700 out the door.