PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Point 9mm C-9 Compact - Need Info

147 Grain
August 15, 2005, 04:04 AM
Has anyone handled or fired Hi-Point's C-9 9mm Compact? If so, please provide feedback on this pistol that retails for about $129.00.

WillBrayjr
August 15, 2005, 06:04 AM
One word, :barf:

BerettaCougar
August 15, 2005, 06:22 AM
One word,

Haha...

Actually I own the 9mm carbine, and it's a great firearm.. The hipoint handguns are okay.. you get what you pay for. And I would suggest a Mak or cz52 (same price range) any day before a hipoint.

Clayfish
August 15, 2005, 08:15 AM
I've never shot one but I did handle one in a pawn shop. It felt like a brick with an uncomfortable grip. the edges were sharp and unfinished. I would be scared it would rip my hands to shreds. The carbines are great though.

Clone
August 15, 2005, 12:50 PM
i have a hi point 45acp thats never failed me. it is ugly but it shoots and shoots very well. im geting a hi point c9 next weekend for about $100.

michael t
August 15, 2005, 01:05 PM
Cheap , relieable, heavy and like KelTec the will fix free forever if it doesn't work.

Javelin Man
August 15, 2005, 01:14 PM
You'll get two different opinions; those from whom have never owned a Hi-Point, and those who have owned a Hi-Point. You'll be able to tell the difference immediately. :barf:

I have the .45 acp. It works great. Quite accurate at 25 yards. I'm talking hitting the bullseye. Not everytime, but I'm not that good myself, but when I have done everything right and squeeeeze the trigger correctly, it goes right where I want it.

It is top heavy, but my Heritage Arms .22 is heavier overall. It's within a couple ounces of many people's carry pieces.

You should be able to get it cheaper than $129, and you'll have a new gun that doesn't need all the cosmoline cleaned out and should be a reliable piece.

A Glock felt worse in my hand than my Hi-Point. YMMV A Hi-Point may feel darn uncomfortable in your hand. It has a grip that is quite sculptured, but fits nicely to my hand. You may wish a different style grip. You're out of luck then.

I also have the carbine. Very reliable.

A Hi-Point is an inexpensive, rather reliable piece of machinery. It is not the most refined, nor the prettiest, etc. Sometimes you don't need a Mercedes, or a used Jaguar, but will settle for a brand new Kia that will get you to work every day. Get the gun, enjoy it.

Te Anau
August 15, 2005, 04:44 PM
Hi-Points are heavy and almost as ugly as Glocks but they work and as a general rule (like most guns) work well.

mirage
August 15, 2005, 07:03 PM
I had one, not a bad gun. I never had a problem with it, bang everytime. I just didn't like the "Feel" of it. I am not a fan of the plastic frame and metal slide, It tips up too much. Maybe the comp version would help?
I did sell it for what I paid for it.

luvtoshoot
August 15, 2005, 07:40 PM
I have the Hi-point 9mm, I actually got it in a trade and did so mostly because I wanted to get to the bottom of the (Hi-Point is great) :D V/S the (Hi-Point sucks) :barf: discussions which always seem to bring lots of heat with them. So I thought heck I will just get it and torture test it myself. At first, I cleaned it, lubed it, rubbed it and cared for it like I do the rest of my guns but shell after shell it wouldn’t fail and I wanted to make it break, or FTF and FTE after all I believe in the pay for what you get slogan like most others do. So I quit cleaning it except for an occasional quick (brush and swab) of the barrel for safety’s sake. I have lost count of the rounds but it is well over 1,000 a good 2-3 hundred ignoring maintenance and cleaning, still no FTF or FTE once it didn’t chamber the round all the way but it was because I didn’t snap the clip in. Bottom line YEAH it is a brick, uglier than sin, rough around the edges, a little top heavy, a pain to disassemble and does not have the best grip feel. But with a Hogue slip on, the grip feels much better (still not a perfect fit though) and after shooting as many rounds as I have without cleaning! Who cares about the dissembling? IF it fails send it back and get a new one. Although, it is my opinion {through experience} that it wont. Also use the search option there are lots about Hi-Point pistols and such. My 2cents.

chris in va
August 15, 2005, 08:53 PM
Probably the best $100 new gun you can buy. :D

Haven't tried the handguns, but my carbine is my favey.

CajunBass
August 15, 2005, 10:18 PM
I've got a C-9, and unlike a lot of people, I really like the way it looks and feels. I think that it's functional looking, and it just feels good in my hand. I've had two failures to feed in 600 or so rounds with it and they were early on. I haven't ever taken it apart, just run a patch through the barrel, and swabbed around what I can reach through the ejection port with a Q-tip and some solvent. Most of my shooting has been with FMJ, (WWB, Rem-UMC, Blazer Brass, American Eagle) but I have run a half box or so of HP's (WWB) through it and it fed them just fine.

I put the ghost ring sight on mine and it really helped my old eyes pick up the target. It's pretty accurate too, a lot more accurate than I can shoot. I loaned it to a fellow at the range one day who had never seen one. He fired 5 shots and four of them were touching at 7 yards. (The 5th wasn't far away) He was impressed enough that he went in to the store to buy one.

I too got it to see if they are as bad as "everyone" says they are. I can't speak for anybody else's but mine works. It's on my nightstand right now. I like it enough that I even bought an extra magazine for it.

Te Anau
August 16, 2005, 12:36 PM
There is no handgun in their price range that can touch them as far as accuracy goes.I guess its that good old blowback operating system huh?

chris in va
August 16, 2005, 01:31 PM
Speaking of blowback, is that the reason why my brass is so dirty after being fired? :confused:

CajunBass
August 16, 2005, 03:15 PM
I haven't noticed my brass being any dirtier than with other guns Chris. What brand?

kozak6
August 16, 2005, 03:21 PM
They aren't necssarily bad guns. I have read a lot of reviews, mostly good, and the Hi-Point carbine I got to shoot wasn't bad. They are a real bear to get apart though, and I have read reviews where they wore out prematurely due to soft materials and a lack of lubrication (due to the difficulty of field stripping).

EDIT: I forgot to add that if you are considering a Hi-Point, maybe you should look into the world of military surplus handguns instead. You can go get a nice ALL STEEL Bulgarian Makarov, CZ-52, or Star BM in the same price range.

denfoote
August 16, 2005, 03:23 PM
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83304&page=2&pp=25&highlight=High+point

gharsh
August 16, 2005, 08:47 PM
The Hi-Point C9 was my very first semi-auto pistol. Got it for Christmas one year. I still have it, although have not shot it in about three years. I bought four of the 8 rounders for it and a ten rounder. What I did not like about it was the limited capacity. For the same size I could get other pistols that would hold more in the magazine. I only ever ran a patch through the barrel to clean it. Would not even try to disassemble the thing.

Good gun, good price. My only advice would be to take time to think about what you are going to use it for. As a carry gun, IMHO, it is too heavy. I personally carry a S&W model 60. For range use and maybe a home gun, might be just the ticket.

Good Luck.

joecad
August 16, 2005, 09:24 PM
i had a c9 and have a 995c carbine sold the c9 to my best friend....he is still my best friend ...you may have to break them in a little but after that they are absolutely great.
some folks mentioned that it was a pain to disassemble...but if you look at the manual they recommend cleaning the barrel and around the ejection port for the first 1000 rounds. after that they say to break it down.
with the friendly synthetic polymer spray cleaners around you might not have to do that.
their customer service is tops...friendly and helpful.
if you are watching your pennies or just want a starter or truck gun you can't go wrong.

payne
August 17, 2005, 04:58 PM
I owned a C-9 and though of it as a good little gun. It was reliable and cheap to shoot. Hardly ever cleaned it through thousands of rounds. I had to adjust the sights initally to get it to become accurate. for $100 it was a fun gun, although ugly.