PDA

View Full Version : Remington 510 Targetmaster .22 Rifle

dev_null
August 10, 2005, 10:27 PM
Anyone know much about these rifles? I just acquired one through my fiance', who got it from her late grandfather. Seems to be in decent shape internally, though in need of cleaning. Outside of metal has some rust and minor pitting, but bore looks ok. Oddly, I can't find a s/n, unless this is older than we realized -- see below:

All markings on barrel.

Top, forward:
REMINGTON ARMS CO. INC. ILION, NY
MADE IN USA - PATENTS PENDING

Top, just in front of rear sight:
THE
TARGETMASTER
REG. US PAT. OFF.
MODEL 510

Top, behind rear sight:
REMINGTON
REG. US. PAT. OFF.
.22 SHORT, LONG
OR LONG RIFLE

On right rear, but read from top (i.e, upside down if you look directly at right side of rifle):

No other markings except "REMINGTON" on stamped plastic buttcap.

Any idea of age or value of this example? (I suppose the plastic buttcap would be a clue -- probably post-war, then, right?) The Remington site says they were made from 1939-1962, but even if I could find the s/n they're not listed by year anyway.

Thanks!

- 0 -

James K
August 11, 2005, 12:09 PM
The rifle was made prior to 1968 and the law did not require serial numbers on .22 rifles and shotguns. The 510 is one of the best .22 single shot rifles ever made, and was long a favorite for teaching beginners.

I don't know what plans you and your fiancee have, but if you don't want to shoot that rifle now, you might put it away until later when you might have need for it.

Jim

dev_null
August 11, 2005, 05:42 PM
Thanks!

We're keeping it, but it's gonna need some serious cleaning. Being stored in attics and such hasn't been kind to it.