PDA

View Full Version : Looking to get into handgun competition

Dust_Devil
August 7, 2005, 09:22 PM
Here is what I would have to work with. Either a Beretta 92FS 9mm or a Glock 23 .40cal.

Would either of these be good for a stock class. IDPA class?

Should I look more into the Glock owners competitions?

I also have a compensated 1911, but I understand those aren't allowed and I don't want to spend any more money on guns just to compete. I just want to be able to use what I have.

ampleworks
August 7, 2005, 09:42 PM
Either one of those would work fine for IDPA. Both compete in Stock Service Pistol (SSP) and would work out just fine for you.

scottys1
August 7, 2005, 09:47 PM
I'm not up on IDPA rules, but in USPSA any of your guns will do fine. The Beretta or Glock will work in Production or Limited-10 with 10rd mags or Limited if you have bigger mags. The compensated 1911 will put you in Open class with the race gun guys, but is a blast if you are just starting out. I'm sure IDPA has a place for you too. You can shoot more than one class.

My advice is to find a match near you, bring your guns, gear, and ammo and shoot. All clubs will have a new shooter orientation where the rules are explained. You will find that your fellow competitors are very friendly and helpful and are willing to loan gear such as mag pouches, etc. to help you out. Go to uspsa.org for more info. They have a search function where you enter your zip code to find matches near you.

GSSF has matches for Glock owners, but Glocks work just fine for any match. Go with whichever you are most comfortable with.

Welcome to a fun sport. Good luck and good shooting!

Old Shooter
August 10, 2005, 06:14 AM
There are a lot of guns that will work but not be competitive, such as any Ruger (a fine gun on it's own but not a competition weapon). Yours will work AND be competitive. Just get the right holster and mag pouches.

Take your gear down to a match, let them know you are new to the sport, and jump in.