PDA

View Full Version : P99 QA - cocked and locked

Duxman
July 29, 2005, 11:11 PM
Gentlemen,

Need your help! :confused:

Just went by the local gun show and picked up a terrific looking P99 QA. Unfortunately - one of the safety features of the weapon is a single action trigger.

Does anyone carry their P99 QA cocked and locked? Is this a common practice? Will the spring get damaged? Is the trigger pull too light?

Thanks.

:eek:

Handy
July 30, 2005, 12:06 AM
You lost me. The QA has light double action trigger, almost identical to a Glock. That is the only trigger pull it has, and while light, it is not cocked.

It also has no manual safety, so it is not possible to "lock" it, so it can't be carried cocked and locked.

Please read your manual.

Slateman
July 30, 2005, 07:10 AM
Yea, as far as I know, it doesn't have a safety. A decocking lever? Yes.

Did you go to the Dulles Expo Center? If so, how much did you pay?

Duxman
July 31, 2005, 10:45 AM
Handy - sorry its just an expression: what I meant was does anyone carry their Walther P99 QA ready to fire. (Is a better expression probably...) Actually some newer Walthers (not the one I have) has a trigger safety similar to a glock.

Slateman - picked it up for $499, actually I paid only $250 cash + a CZ100 in trade. So I made it well - its a titanium slide, very pretty. :D

k_dawg
July 31, 2005, 11:16 AM
When I carried my P99, it was "cocked" in single action mode. However, it has a longer first trigger pull, and numerous firing-pin safties. I had no "worries".

The best "safety" is in your head!

Duxman
July 31, 2005, 11:27 AM
Dawg,

Any issues long term with wearing out the springs?

Thanks. I will consider carrying it cocked. Yes you are right about the best safety....good gun handling.

Handy
July 31, 2005, 01:51 PM
Duxman,

It isn't cocked. Your gun is not like Dawg's.

Slateman
July 31, 2005, 04:09 PM
Damn it! Who was selling for 499!?!? I thought I went to every table and didn't even see one with titanium slide!! :mad: Thats a pretty good deal actually

**starts kicking himself**

Duxman
July 31, 2005, 04:54 PM
Slate,

I was in there Friday @ 3 pm when they opened canvassed the whole floor by 4:15, and bought the gun by 5 pm. It was the only titanium slide QA in the whole show.

I still have it unfired. Deciding on whether or not I will keep it. Bought 4 extra 15 round magazines for it too. You wanna make a deal?

.357SIG
July 31, 2005, 06:55 PM
Relax. Take some comfort in the fact that Walther designed this pistol to be carried with one in the chamber, just like a Glock. It would make no sense to have a duty pistol that could not be carried in this condition. The question you need to ask is if you feel comfortable carrying this way.

Duxman
July 31, 2005, 07:51 PM
Good point SIG....it is a fine looking weapon.