PDA

View Full Version : Rock Island 45

1911nizer
July 23, 2005, 04:27 AM
Need help on new gun. I have not fired the gun yet and already the plunger tube came loose. I put a few drops of lock tite and hope to solve problem. grip screw bushings also loose, lock tite it too. last complaint is hammer follows down when you pull the hammer back with thumb and suddenly released it. otherwise i think the gun is well made. I racked 7 rounds of hollow point bullets into chamber, seems ok and all bullets ejected without problems. won't know untill gun is actually fired.

Hal
July 23, 2005, 05:40 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about a loose new plunger tube in an unfired gun.
If it works loose during firing it,,that's another matter alltogether.
The one on my Kimber Target managed to unscrew itself somewhere along the way to firing a few hundred rounds.

For any type of carry or (some) home defense uses, I'd replace the rod with good old plug like my Colt has.
In all honesty, I'll probably replace the ones on my Kimbers when I eventually replace the springs. Having to use a bushing tool is ,,well,,kinda annoying..

I'm not sure I understand the whole hamer drop thing.
Are you saying if you cam back the hammer to full cock it doesn't stay there?

smince
July 23, 2005, 06:32 AM
I have not fired the gun yet and already the plunger tube came loose. grip screw bushings also loose, lock tite it too. last complaint is hammer follows down when you pull the hammer back with thumb and suddenly released it. otherwise i think the gun is well made.

:confused: !

joab
July 23, 2005, 06:41 AM
Loose plunger tubes are not that uncommon.
A new tube is about $5 and a smith will reset it for about $10 or $20.
A friend of mine says that his smith sweats them in instead of staking to prevent this.

Grip screw bushing are no big deal

The hammer dropping without the trigger being pulled is something I would have checked out.

How new is the gun, To late to return to the store under warranty?

GoRon
July 23, 2005, 12:24 PM
Is this gun new or new to you?

last complaint is hammer follows down when you pull the hammer back with thumb and suddenly released it.

If the gun is unloaded with the hammer down, you pick up the gun depressing the grip safety and pulling the trigger, you will not be able to cock the hammer.The sear is not engaged.

If the hammer will not cock manually when not pulling the trigger something is wrong.