PDA

View Full Version : Series 70 .41 Avenger

Uncle Ethan
July 19, 2005, 11:39 PM
I will be picking up a series 70 1911 in 10 days or so. It is supposed to be near mint and has two barrels. One is a .41 Avenger that is an inch longer than standard and has the integral ramp. I would assume that means the frame has been machined to take that type of barrel. The other barrel is .45acp-but I don't know the particulars of that barrel. It comes with the dies, and I e-mailed for loading info.
Anybody out there have any particulars on this cartridge or weapon?

Majic
July 20, 2005, 04:10 AM
If the pistol is machined for the ramped barrel then hope the .45acp barrel is also ramped or you will have something to sell to someone else.
If I remember right the Avenger was a bottlenecked wildcat formed from .45 Win mag cases. It was an attempt to use .41 caliber bullets in a 1911 and boost the performance. I don't think it could do anything that the 10mm couldn't do and with being a wildcat that had to form it's cases from an already expensive case it never gained any popularity.

only1asterisk
July 20, 2005, 05:06 AM
The 41 Avenger was a JD Jones product. It uses standard 45 ACP brass necked down to take .410 revolver bullets. Very like a 400 CorBon with a longer neck. IIRC it was sold as a conversion kit with barrel data and dies. I've got an article or 2 at the house. If you want, I'll e-mail them to you.

David

Dave Sample
July 20, 2005, 01:54 PM
It never caught on. The 10mm Centaur was my favorite Bottle Neck 45 conversion. It died a horrible death also. I now shoot a 400 Cor Bon for fun and it is not for the faint hearted to re-load for. Very little data available for any of these three neat rounds.

I would wonder about "Picking up a 1911 you haven't seen yet". Good Luck!

Uncle Ethan
July 20, 2005, 05:26 PM
I know the seller, and for the price I'm paying you can only buy parts guns or beaters. No matter the configuration, I will have fun with another 1911- besides, I have a few S&W mdl 57's-I like .41 caliber. :D

Majic
July 20, 2005, 05:55 PM
Wasn't the cases made from .45acp cases a little short and that's why the .45 Win Mag cases was used?

only1asterisk
July 21, 2005, 10:28 AM
Majic,

Yes, you're right. I'm sorry, my memory needed refereshing.
The original round was based on 451 Detonics case, a shade longer than the 45 ACP. When Detonics brass dried up, people used 45 ACP (not a good idea) and cut down 45 Win. Mag and 308 cases (lots of work and not perfect). 460 Rowland brass from Starline should form perfect cases.

The barrel and dies are a piece of history and the round is as good as the 10mm for hunting.

David

WESHOOT2
July 23, 2005, 05:56 AM
I find the .410" bore to work well in 'auto' platforms (normally shorter tube than wheels): accurate (because of the great 41 Mag bullets?); low(er) breech face thrust (even the 41 AE?); more powder/combustion area than the .400" stuff; cool factor :D

If Starline would just make 41 AE cases....... :barf:

Uncle Ethan
July 23, 2005, 02:17 PM
Checking back in- I just picked up the Series 70 and it was mint. It also is a Colt factory COMBAT government model. The entire weapon is pristine, and the .41 barrel is the "drop in" type. I would post a picture but I don't know how to resize the photos. J.D. Jones graciously sent me the literature on the kit and loading info. Between him and only1asterisk I am ready to form cases and load ammo as soon as I return from the business trip. I will try to post a picture. :D

Jim Watson
July 23, 2005, 02:34 PM
S70 Combat Government is a rather uncommon variation, I have only seen a couple over the years. I am glad it is in good shape and has not been mucked up to take an integral ramp barrel as you originally reported.

Uncle Ethan
July 23, 2005, 02:55 PM
Me too, Jim. I trust this gentleman- I have know him for years, and he just retired last year and is selling all his "extras." He has expensive tastes and doesn't own anything that isn't pretty nice, and this is the first time I have known him to be wrong on a weapon. I'm glad, as I would have been forced to bring the Colt back to factory just because of what it is. If I can figure out how to downsize a photo I will post the pic. I don't know how the Combat government came from the factory, but this one has Bomar sights, a pachmayer extended slide release, and pachmeyer rubber grips w/ the Colt emblem. The magazine is pachmayer also. It doesn't appear to have been fired. :eek: :D

Uncle Ethan
July 23, 2005, 05:14 PM
Lets hope this workscolt avenger 008.jpg

only1asterisk
July 25, 2005, 03:36 AM
Excellent!

David

Dryan117
April 28, 2007, 04:03 PM
Folks,
I have an AMT Hardballer 1911 with a .41 avenger barrel kit installed. I have been unsuccessful in finding ammo, so I want to convert it back but do not have the original barrel.

How easy is it to convert back? I think I need a barrel and mainspring.

Dan

Rimrod
April 29, 2007, 10:37 PM
I've never owned one, but wish I did since I read about it (back in '83 I think).

As I recall it was a drop in unit and the only parts you should have to change are the barrel and recoil spring, which is probably what you meant. (The big spring that sits under the barrel.)

If you don't have plans for that .41 barrel PM me.