PDA

View Full Version : Browning Boss on a 6.5x55 swede

ohwoody
July 17, 2005, 06:50 PM
yesterday i bought a 6.5x55 swede that looks like it was someones project that was never finished.It came with a new barrel on it,bare metal and no markings.The reciever and bolt was polished with an after market safety.The floorplate also stripped of finish.Stock is a semi finished burl walnut monte carlo style.I am planning on having the rifle blued,and finish the stock myself.I would like to add a muzzle brake (something like the browning boss).Looking for suggestions on finishing this project and tuning up this rifle for a hunting gun.

Wildalaska
July 17, 2005, 07:24 PM
You dont need a boss or a brake on a 6.5x55

WilddaswedeAlaska

steveno
July 17, 2005, 07:36 PM
the 6.5 x 55 is a very easy shooting round. don't screw it up by putting a muzzle brake on it

Fremmer
July 17, 2005, 08:03 PM
Those muzzle brakes can be LOUD! This is something to consider, especially if you are going to use the gun without hearing protection while hunting.

Try shooting the gun first to ascertain the felt recoil before you add a muzzle brake.

DnPRK
July 17, 2005, 08:06 PM
The 6.5 Swede has minimal recoil shooting 140 grain bullets. I would shoot it first and add a brake later if it didn't meet your accuracy expectation.

ohwoody
July 17, 2005, 08:13 PM
the intrest in the Boss is in tuning not recoil.I had a swede a few years back(gave it to my son) Picked up this rifle for project to see how accurate I could get it and still use it for hunting.

BusGunner007
July 17, 2005, 10:58 PM
Que Industries is the maker of a BOSS copy ( licensed by Browning, I think ).

I like your idea. It's different. Good Luck! :)

Trxxx
July 18, 2005, 02:12 AM
I've got a 270 with BOSS and it is LOUD. Don't ever make the mistake of firing it without hearing protection. I did once and my ears are still ringing 5 years later.

It does work as advertised, though. If you're not a handloader, you can just pick a factory load and tune the rifle to suit it, rather than the other way round.

It probably won't make any practical difference when you are hunting, either way. Good luck with the project.

mete
July 18, 2005, 05:01 AM
Tuning a 6.5x55 ? This is an exceptionally accurate cartridge so tuning shouldn't be necessary.

Picher
July 18, 2005, 05:21 AM
I think that the Boss can be had without the compensator. It still works to tune the barrel, but I'd also recommend shooting the rifle without the compensator first. The Swede is one of the best shooting rifle/cartridge combos around and the Boss may not make a measurable difference in accuracy.

Picher

arthurrh
July 18, 2005, 11:22 AM
The boss is useful if you're buying factory ammo, but if you handload it's pretty much unnecessary, since you can tune the load to the gun rather than the other way around.

JohnKSa
July 18, 2005, 10:01 PM
Never seen a Swede in halfway decent condition that wouldn't shoot sub-MOA--and recoil is very light.

Mike Irwin
July 18, 2005, 10:03 PM
"This is an exceptionally accurate cartridge so tuning shouldn't be necessary."

The point isn't to tune the cartridge. It's to tune the rifle TO the cartridge.

I was a big skeptic of the concept when Browning first announced it when I was working for American Rifleman.

Then I got to shoot an A-Bolt in .270 with the Boss.

Immediate believer.

locked'n'cocked
July 18, 2005, 10:20 PM
i have never heard of the BOSS before. what exactly does it do? does anybody have pic of it or of a gun with it? i did a google image search and checked browning's website with no results.

Jart
July 19, 2005, 06:17 AM
Here ya go: BOSSThingie (http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=001B&cat_id=035&type_id=005)

Picher
July 19, 2005, 07:56 AM
Re: Browning bolt rifle picture referenced above.

As an aside, I have a thumbhole stock on my Rem 581 bolt action, but wouldn't want to have one on a hunting rifle, since it really hampers quick bolt work, especially with gloves on.

Picher

mtnbkr
July 19, 2005, 09:40 AM
I'd complete the gun, shoot it, then decide what it needs. I'd also tune every aspect before I put something as ugly as the BOSS on the end of the barrel.

My Winchester Featherweight 6.5x55 needed quite a bit of work before I could get it shooting well. I had to glass bed the action, float the barrel AND put a pressure pad at the end of the forearm (barrel was touching at bottom and side of forearms most of it's length). I used washers to slightly "float" the bottom metal from the wood. I also tuned the trigger. I worked up a load that matches the gun (140gr Gameking, Varget, once fired and neck sized brass).

I started with a rifle that would group 3 shots in 1.5-2" at 100yds off of sandbags. I ended up with a rifle that would put 3 shots into .75" or better at 100yds off those same sandbags. If I'm having an "off" day, it'll barely hold 1", but that's my fault. :o

It's more accurate than it needs to be for a hunting rifle, but it was an interesting exercise.

Chris

Dave R
July 19, 2005, 11:19 AM
Regarding the need for a BOSS...

Do you handload? If so, you tune your load to your rifle.

If no, the BOSS allows you to tune your barrel harmonics to the particular load.

Either way, the point is to get the barrel harmonics to tune to a particular load. If you handload, you can tune loads for several bullet weights to your rifle. You could have a light-bullet load for varmits, and a heavy bullet load for big game. Both tuned to max accuracy for your rifle.

With the BOSS, you'd have a setting for the light bullet load, and a setting for a heavy bullet load.

ohwoody
July 19, 2005, 07:35 PM
I use to handload for pistols 15 years ago.Only occasionally load for shotgun now..Unless I want something special, Walmart was cheaper then making ammo myself.I sold the press I had for pistols ,maybe I'll get a new one.I saw a BOSS on ebay and it gave me the idea.For now I will just finish the rifle and see how it does.I was thinking it would be better to have the barrel threaded before I had it blued at the gunsmith.Handloading does sound like the better choice it would give me a wider selection of bullet weights.Factory ammo is scarce around here and limited ttto 140 gr. Not only would I have a good deer rifle,but a varmit rifle too!!

Thanks OhWoody

Mike Irwin
July 19, 2005, 07:39 PM
I have to admit, I'm really taken with the the Boss concept.

Unlike many others, I really don't enjoy the thought, or the practice, of sitting down and going through untold hours of experimentation trying to find a load that shoots well in my guns when I can simply, easily, and repeatedly tune the gun to the load.

The concept is, to me, not unlike taking a stock car and over the course of a couple of months, trying dozens of blends of gasoline from all of the service stations in your area to find the one that gives the best performance in your car.

ohwoody
July 19, 2005, 07:56 PM
just so everyone knows what I was thinking
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7170594867&category=31709&ssPageName=WDVW&rd=1

JohnKSa
July 19, 2005, 08:27 PM
I have to admit, I'm really taken with the the Boss concept. I am too. I think it's a great idea and I'm surprised that it hasn't caught on more. I think they'd probably sell more if they made them in a non-brake format.

But I think putting a Boss on a Swedish Mauser isn't necessary since they're invariably surprisingly accurate as they come.

ohwoody
July 19, 2005, 08:54 PM
The non braked version was what i was looking at.The price is cheap compared to a reloading press and all the goodies to go with it.Also the nearest range is a hour drive away.testing and retesting may become a chore.
Different bullet weights and loads are a big plus,for handloading.The minus is the cost.I only have a .223 and the swede to reload for.In Ohio shotgun only for deer.Sometimes I get to hunt where I can use rifles but not often.Reloading press vs. a new gun.Hard choice for someone who likes tinker with his guns.

cracked butt
July 20, 2005, 03:28 AM
I would shoot it as-is first, you might be suprised how accurate the rifle is.

Not sure about Brownings, but Winchester rifles have thin whippy barrels, a harmonic tuner certainly doesn't hurt such barrels to dampen vibrations. If you take a look at a 6.5 swede barrel, its profile is very heavy- its the same dimensions as a 8mm mauser barrel with a smaller bore. Pretty much any load you put through a swede rifle using the right range of bullet weights is going to shoot well- with the exception of cast loads, but that's a whole different story.

Wildalaska
July 20, 2005, 11:25 AM
Considering the lack of ammo for the Swede, your gonna have to reload.

WildthatswhyistartedAlaska

Picher
July 20, 2005, 02:27 PM
You probably realize that the URL quoted for the unventilated Boss is only to fit existing rifles that have a Boss installed already?

There has to be a base unit for the sleeve to screw onto, which is not included in that offering.

John

ohwoody
July 20, 2005, 05:30 PM
Picher,Thanks I knew that too.The original is also on ebay also.Its just not to feasible to reload for the one rifle.Espeacially one that I might get to hunt with five times a year.Accuracy is the challenge for me.The BOSS system intrigued me and I had never heard of one used on anything other than a Browning.With an unknown replacement barrel already on this rifle I dont know whether or not it will preform as good as factory barrels.I'll finish the rifle over the next few weeks and give it a try.I can always add the Boss later.