PDA

View Full Version : Rare rifle value

Brucelee
July 11, 2005, 12:13 PM
I was told that this was the place to go to get some useful information regarding the actual value of a couple of rifles that were stolen Saturday. Help would be appreciated. My rifle is an Interarms Mark X, FN Belgian Mauser. It is in standard 30-06 length action. It has the origenal Sako trigger.The bolt face and reciever lugs have been lapped. The barrel is a brand new custom contour chrome moly 30" Lilja. The reciever has an Orbendorf trigger gaurd and floor plate release. The trigger is the side slide safty(a true vintage Sako). The stock is made from a piece of American maple and is carved in the old traditional bench rest/hunter style so it does not have a raised cheek plate and is a high comb style. The fore end is wide and flat on the bottom for sitting on a rest. The rifle is chambered in 35 Whalen Ackely Imp. The barrel is a 1 in 12 twist suitable for 250 grain bullets. It has a Leupold VXIII 1.5--5 scope mounted with Contol seamless rings and Control low mounts which were machined to an eighth of a degree divergence angle for long range shooting. It consistantly shot sub minute of angle groups out to 1000 yards at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club. Please give me an idea as to this rifles worth, the sentimenal value is clouding my judgement.
The other rifle is a pre "64 Winchester in 300 win mag caliber. It had a leupold VXII 3-9 power scope.

jefnvk
July 11, 2005, 01:41 PM
Can't give you a value, but can give you advice. Go get an estimate from someone who appraises firearms. Usually gunsmiths do this for a small fee. Internet opinions aren't going to mean crap when you go to the insurance company.

Mike Hull
July 11, 2005, 01:59 PM
Or go to a place that builds rifles like that, and find out what it would cost to have a replacement built.

http://www.gaprecision.net/

http://ironbrigadearmory.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=198

If you're an NRA member, then you have a basic theft insurance as part of your membership, IIRC, and you should call them too. It won't pay but a partial value, but that's better than a stick in the eye.

pax
July 11, 2005, 07:36 PM
Bruce ~

Price the component parts.

Then call a gunsmith and ask how much he would charge to put those pieces together.

Add it all up, and there's your price.

pax

Clemson
July 12, 2005, 02:42 PM
Bruce, you may need to have your components verified. In the first place a Mark X rifle is not rare. Mark X rifles were not made with "FN Belgian Mauser" actions; they were made with Mark X Yugoslavian actions from Zastava. The actions were very similar to FN actions, and quality was similar, but the FN's are worth more. Mark X rifles did not have Sako triggers. They were normally sold with a side safety trigger as you describe, and yes, it looks like a Sako, but it is a Mark X trigger from Yugoslavia. The Oberndorf trigger guard and floorplate release? Could it, too, have been the original Mark X unit (which was styled after early Mauser sporter guards)? And why would anyone hang a 30 inch barrel from a 30-06 sporter? That would kill the value for most hunters.

A basic Mark X action is worth $200 +/- today. Complete rifles go for $250-350. A custom barrel and stock would add no more than $100. You just cannot recoup the investment on a custom gun. Add $200 or so for the scope.

The pre-64 Winchester is worth a bit more -- with the scope, a good deal more.

Sorry for your loss......

Clemson

artsmom
July 13, 2005, 11:25 AM
I would go with the advice of figuring up replacement value of the various parts and the assembly. The price of the Conetrol mounts and Lilja barrel might exceed what the insurance company might give you based on a "used Interams Mark X rifle."

I will pray that you somehow get your rifles back, as that would be the best ending to this whole sorry affair.