PDA

View Full Version : Sigs -- how do you protect the finish?

Porkchops
July 10, 2005, 12:06 AM
Wondering how to maintain the black finish on my new P229. I've only got about 250 rounds through it.

I'm using Gunslick solvent and oil. I only use the solvent for gunky areas, but usually oil all contact points, and I sometimes oil down the outside of the gun and towel it dry.

How do you keep your Sig in top shape (including the outside metal)?

While cleaning, a drop of solvent got on the outside of my slide, and it looks like it hurt the finish. Oiling it helped, but I don't wanna use anything that'll eat the beauty away faster than natural.

Also, my trigger is starting to turn brownish on the sides and finger area (as if the black finish is wearing off). Anyone seen this? I'm wondering if my solvent is too potent. What does everyone use?

xXStarScreamXx
July 10, 2005, 12:08 AM
hoppes oil. mine been good for about 8 months.

ohh and while im cleaning the barrel they are no where near the rest of the gun

BioDemon
July 10, 2005, 02:01 AM
http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html
http://www.thegunzone.com/rust.html#eezox

juliet charley
July 10, 2005, 06:34 AM
With SIGs the best you can do is send them to Virgil Tripp for hard chroming. ;)

clt46910
July 10, 2005, 10:14 AM
I have had my Sig 228 for about ten years now, I carry it often and shoot it a lot. So far the finish is holding up good. I do not do much more then normal maintenance to my pistols. I will say it has held up better then a number of blued guns I have had.

Seven High
July 10, 2005, 11:22 AM
Most of the damage to the finish on my sig came from shoving the weapon into and pulling it out of various holsters. If you can minimize that and keep the outside oiled the finish will last for a long time.

Wildalaska
July 10, 2005, 07:37 PM
Gun cleaning is bad. Shoot it till it doesnt work I say

WildexceptfrothesweediesAlaska

NarcSgt
July 10, 2005, 10:01 PM
If you are worried about the finish of a gun then don't take it out of the box. One thing to know is that Sigs will not ever rust, except the sights and grip screws, if factory. As long as you care for the gun you should not have to worry about the outside not staying perfect. I have shot the crud out of mine and the outside does show wear but that is due to pistol to holster contact.

Enjoy the fine piece of craftsmanship you have and shoot the crud out of it, the gun will thank you for it.

Thomas Nowicki
July 12, 2005, 08:45 PM
I used to really worry about the finish on my pistols, but now I think that some wear adds to the character of the gun, especially a carry piece.

NarcSgt
July 12, 2005, 09:39 PM
These pistols are meant to be used, not put in a box and admired. I would rather look at my good tight groups at the range than to look at a pretty unused pistol.

Porkchops
July 13, 2005, 01:54 AM
Why shouldn't I try to maintain the look of my gun? It doesn't mean it's sitting in a box unused.

I've got a range membership, and I try to go often. I bring friends and let them put rounds through it as well. I've taken private lessons to help me improve my shooting; So in short, my gun isn't just sitting in a box looking pretty. It's on the range, working like a champ because I maintain it well.

But, I'm the kind of person who likes it to LOOK good too. So, I'm trying to find out the best way to preserve the finish. That doesn't seem weird to me.

Think about a car or truck you own -- have you ever washed it? Given it an oil change? Polished it up really nice? Of course you have. That doesn't mean you've never taken it out of the garage, does it? Or that you've never floored it to see how the engine revs, and how much torque it's got?

So, anyway, I prefer to maintain the nice look of my gun (if for no other reason than to maintain it's value if I want to sell it someday). When I come home from the range, I love to break it down and clean it, put it back together -- it's therapeutic!

For those of you who neglect your guns, I think that just means you're too lazy and don't appreciate what you've got.

Porkchops
July 13, 2005, 01:58 AM
Juliet Charley:

With SIGs the best you can do is send them to Virgil Tripp for hard chroming.

Speaking of this, what's the difference in the finish? How much would a good job cost?

juliet charley
July 13, 2005, 05:38 AM
http://www.trippresearch.com/chrome/chrome.htm

Hal
July 13, 2005, 06:19 AM
One thing NOT to use is Clenziol.

ATW525
July 13, 2005, 07:00 AM
I store it in salt water, which I find brings out the beautiful rust tones in a Sig better than almost anything besides leaving it in it's case. ;)

NarcSgt
July 13, 2005, 12:46 PM
What kind of Sigs do you have that keep rusting ATW, besides the places I have mentioned? I guess you might be talking about the barrel, springs, and spring guilds. Those could rust if you do not take care of your weapons wiping them down often and cleaning them inside and out once and a while weather you shoot them or not.

Hey Chops no offense was meant by my comments. :) I thought you might have been one of those types that will buy a gun to look at and admire and not use. You are using your pistol and you just want to take care of it, which I can and do respect. You take care of your weapons and they will take care of you when you need them. The Sigs I have are duty guns and I am not as concerned with the finish as I am concerned with the functionality and reliability. Rust prevention is part of this but the main objective is what is on the inside and making sure it is in great shape. What I do use for final wipe down after striping and cleaning is a pre coated cloth made by Kleen Bore/SP?. I find that it does a good final wipe down without leaving the outside feeling greasy or slippery at all.

ATW525
July 13, 2005, 01:02 PM
What kind of Sigs do you have that keep rusting ATW, besides the places I have mentioned?

My current Sig doesn't rust unless I case it for some reason... I know it's prone to rust and take the proper preventive maintance. The trigger, control levers and carbon steel slides are all common places for rust to appear, though. Really, out of all the major brand pistols, Sigs are the biggest rust magnets going. I've owned a two-toned P220 with blue controls that rusted whenever I looked at them the wrong way.

Ala Dan
July 13, 2005, 01:09 PM
I use Break Free C-L-P on all of my firearms, including the SIG's. :)
I have a 1990 model P228, and a 1995 model P220A both West German
variations, and they look as new in the box! :D

Best Wishes,

ulflyer
July 13, 2005, 01:31 PM
Porkchops: I use a spray product call "G96".....its a very light oil base that pretty much dissapates after awhile. Spray some on a wipe rag which I keep in a ziploc for wipe downs after handling. Never has hurt the finish on any of my blued, stainless, polymer types yet. Been using it for years. Good for final coating of insides of guns too. Should find it at gun shops, gunshows, etc.

Handy
July 13, 2005, 02:36 PM
One thing to know is that Sigs will not ever rust, except the sights and grip screws, if factory. Narc, I think you need to get around more. Rusty Sigs are VERY common, even the new ones with stainless slides. Many are quick to blame the owner, but a Nitron'd stainless slide should rust about as easily as nylon.

Ala Dan
July 13, 2005, 03:38 PM
As the Kimber owners manual states,

"RUST IS NEGLECT"! :D

BTW, in this case I'm not putting the blame on owner's; as firearms
manufactuer's could do more to insure this doesn't happen~ :eek:

Best Wishes,

juliet charley
July 13, 2005, 04:32 PM
firearms manufactuer's could do more to insure this doesn't happen~
At what SIG charges, I would say the could do a whole lot more. ;)

NarcSgt
July 13, 2005, 07:31 PM
I guess it happens, just not to mine or my partners. I am guessing we don't see it much rust because of the constant attention to the weapons. I guess if I let it sit a while it would rust, but I live 30 miles from the ocean and mine does not rust at all except the places I have mentioned. Our P226R DAKs do have stainless slides and body so that does make a difference. I do know that I made a general statement about all Sigs not rusting, so I can see the confusion I led into. I should have said "all the Sigs that my Department uses do not rust". Sorry for the mis statement.