PDA

View Full Version : Getting Unscrewed...

S.E.R.T.SGT
July 6, 2005, 04:10 PM
Need a little advice please. Recently purchased a new scope for a Ruger Model 77 rifle my dad gave me and I am having a problem taking the old scope out. It seems about 4 of the screws on the scope mount were "lock-tited"(sp??) in and I cannot budge the screws. Ruined 2 small flat heads trying to get them out. Tried to oil them up, (breakfree) etc. nothing seems to work. Does anyone have any ideas on how I can loosen these screws? New scope mounts for this gun run about $65.00+. Thanks in advance all.

esldude
July 6, 2005, 04:47 PM
Hopefully he didn't use the permanent lock tite. I had a siimilar situation. Suggestions I gathered said either heat it or freeze it. I went with freezing it. Before that I was ready to give up and drill them out of the scope mount and rings.

Put the rifle in a deep freeze overnight. Took it out, using the best fitting screwdriver I had. Put the driver in the screw, tapping it lightly a few times with a dead-blow hammer. And while still stiff, it popped loose all of the screws.

ConRich
July 6, 2005, 04:48 PM
If it is Loc - Tite heat will help release it. I assume that you are using a gun screwdriver not a tapered one. Try hitting the screwdriver with a small hammer or mallet.Also I have found that Sili Kroil works very well for removeing rusted screws, Don't rush or you will break the screw and have to have it drilled out. Good luck, Rich

JohnKSa
July 6, 2005, 09:04 PM
Touch the tip of a soldering iron or gun to the screws and turn them out when they're hot.

LAK
July 7, 2005, 04:48 AM
If it does come down to new rings, Bruno Shooters has Burris extension rings for '77s for about half the amount of new Ruger mounts.

Depending on which action the rifle has and what scope you want to mount, you may need the extended front or rear ring.

http://www.brunoshooters.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?

HSMITH
July 7, 2005, 05:30 AM
John has the answer, just put a soldering iron on the screws, give them a 20 count and then try to remove them immediately after taking the iron off the screw. If 20 count isn't enough go to 40, they will come out without a hassle when you get them hot, and it won't hurt anything.

Tom Matiska
July 7, 2005, 10:06 AM
Third vote for hot iron. Took a stripped screw head to a smitty years ago and he heated the tip of a soldering iron with a torch to above soldering temps(dunno how hot) and judiciously applied the hot tip to the screw. Made screw removal look like child's play.

red loktite + heat = antiseize

S.E.R.T.SGT
July 7, 2005, 04:28 PM
Thanks for the information all, on the hot iron. Gonna give this a try tomorrow and see what comes.

artsmom
July 8, 2005, 08:58 AM
Ditto the soldering iron tactic.

It might be too late, but don't use common screwdrivers on scope mounts, if at all possible. Get a good hollow ground screwdriver, or quality driver bits for the interchangeable screwdrivers. The sides of hollow ground screwdrivers are parallel to the screw slots, and give more bearing surface contact to the slot of the screw.

LAK
July 11, 2005, 02:43 AM
... Well? Did it work?

S.E.R.T.SGT
July 14, 2005, 12:04 AM
LAK...and all..sorry about the delay, GA has been experiencing some flooding in the area I live, and I have been a little "preoccupied" (Not in a good way.. :mad: ). The answer is a resounding YES. Hit it with the iron and they came out. Had to put a tad of pressure to the screw head, but not much, and it saved me some money by getting them unscrewed. Again, another great idea, thanks all!!!

LAK
July 14, 2005, 03:20 AM
Sorry to hear about your water troubles, but glad you sorted your scope problem.