PDA

View Full Version : Holster Nomenclature

Sackett
January 8, 1999, 10:51 PM
As a newbie to carrying a handgun in a holster, is "right" and "left" reversed when buying a holster? Example: I want to carry a pistol IWB on my right hip. Do I buy a right hand holster or a left hand holster?

Bushwhacker
January 8, 1999, 11:37 PM
If you want to draw from your right hip with your right hand get a right hand holster. left hand reverse.For a IWB

Rob Pincus
January 9, 1999, 12:09 AM
I've actually seen a guy try to rip off a left handed shooter. He pulled a Galco IWB right in fron tof me and told the guy to clip onto his belt and let the holster hang there.... uhg!

The holsters are marked appropriately. If you want a Left hand paddle holster.. look for a package that says that.

Rich Lucibella
February 9, 1999, 05:03 PM
Sackett-
As concerns crossdraw, it's bad juju to try to use a right hand holster on the left side (for right handed cross draw). The weapon will either be held verically or worse (with FBI Cant, it'll tilt toward your back). In either case, crossdraw will be difficult.

A true crossdraw holster will be marked appropriately...they will generally have a tilt (cant) that angles the but of the weapon toward your *front*, not back.
Rich

Young Bulldog
February 11, 1999, 05:02 PM
I think what is being refered to is the fact that IWB holsters have the belt atachment on the oposite side, so it apears to be the wrong hand. As already stated, though, each holster should be marked.

Rich Lucibella
February 11, 1999, 05:49 PM
YB-
Most IWB holsters that I'm familiar with employ a belt attachment that should be obviously inadequate to outside the pants wear.
Rich

Young Bulldog
February 12, 1999, 11:34 AM
Rich
Actualy I have an IWB holster for a Beretta that I like to wear in reverse draw form when carrying it. it is posible to wear this holster on the outside, but it does revers the direction of the draw.

------------------
JJmerritt

Rob Pincus
February 12, 1999, 11:50 AM
Some IWB hoslters are sturdier looking than others. Most of the modern designs are obvisouly not suited for "crossdraw" type wear, but several years ago it was harder to tell.

Before the advent of the paddle designe, several manufacturers had simple "Clip-on" belt holsters. Those clip-on attachments looked very much like the IWB clips.

Also, Uncle Mikes offerred at least one hoslter that had a belt loop and a clip, that was designed to be used as an either/or.

Rich Lucibella
February 12, 1999, 02:37 PM
YB, Rob

I didn't properly express myself. Yes, I think a right side IWB will properly hold the gun on the left side *IWB*, cross draw. However, the angle will almost certainly be problematic.

What I was referring to was taking, for instance, the IWB right hand holster and using it for *outside* the pants, *left* side carry. Unless you're talking about a cheap "universal" holster which works *everywhere* poorly and *nowhere* well, this conversion is usually ill advised.
Rich

Rob Pincus
February 12, 1999, 03:24 PM
No, you were right on and I was agreeing with you, just trying to explain the confusion. Holsters have come a LOOOOOONG way in the last 10 years. Back then the holsters weren't nearly as spcialized and people got used to "making do" with whatever they could find.

You are exactly right that IWB hoslters worn on the outside don't offer the proper support, but people have done it and gun shops have sold them for that purpose.....