PDA

View Full Version : Anybody have experience with 10mm Glocks

marano
July 2, 2005, 05:49 PM
If so what model. Whats your impression. I have never shot a 10mm of any brand but I understand its a pretty hot cartridge.

juliet charley
July 2, 2005, 06:00 PM
Their ergonomics are really bad--they flat do not point very well for fast and accurate shooting.

denfoote
July 2, 2005, 06:04 PM
I used to have a G29.
It has the same frame as the .45acp G30.
It was to big for my hand so I traded it away!!
10mm hardball ran about $20/box in my local, which was also a factor in my decision!!!

BigSlick
July 2, 2005, 07:12 PM
The G20 is indeed a handful. It is large, box like feel and the grip angle will take some getting used to if you're a 1911 shooter.

The G29, is lighter, still a little box like and without the finger extension mag plate it's a no go for me.

95% of all the factory ammo currently offered in 10mm is denutted to about the same level as a 40 SW.

When the 10mm was first introduced, it was common for factory ammo to be advertised as 12-1300 fps in many offerings. I settled then on the 170 PMC JHP for the Delta Elite I carried at the time. Nowdays, the 170gr offerings are all but non-existant. Most are available as 180's, with a few 155's out there if you look hard enough. Corbon offers (or did) a 135gr that will get you some faster fps, but it's stll a 135. I guess comfort level with that load depends on which side you fall with regard to the Marshall/Sanow vs Marvin Fackler data saga.

The Winchester SilverTip was always loaded pretty hot, but wouldn't group to minute of football field in my gun. Lot's of muzzle flash too. I haven't tried any of the current offering.

The G29 does have some practicality to it. It will do nicely as a CCW, if you can handle the bulk and the weight of it fully loaded.

Other options exist if you're set on a 10mm. The Dan Wessons get pretty good reviews, most of the custom guys offer a full house 10mm in their lineup and if you get lucky you might find a reasonably unmolested Delta or a Smith 10xx out there somewhere.

I would definitely rent a G20 or G29 before plunking down the guitas for it. Lot's of folks like them, others hate them, but as far as reliability, fit and funtion, they are typical Glock.

BigSlick

GLK
July 2, 2005, 08:16 PM
I am a major fan of the 10MM cartridge(if you couldn't tell)and own several at this time. I have owned two 1st generation Glock model 20s in the past. Both were more accurate than I was and would eat everything I fed them including many 1000s of my own handloads. I find that they pointed well in my hands and 15 rounds of 10MM made plinking a blast. Due to my mistake one blew the nearly full mag out of the bottom of the frame. The mags bottom plate was blown off, dumping the remaining ammo. The mag spring and follower were never found. It also sheared off the mag release and partially blew the slide off the frame. I wiggled the slide the rest of the way off the frame and it went right back on. So I replaced the mag release, put in a new mag and it shot fine and accurately for a few 1000 more rounds before I sold it. By the way my only injury was a bruised weak hand(my right)and ego.
Those that tell you it(10MM)is a pain to shoot are either overly recoil sensitive or have not really shot one. Personally I find the 357 in a short to medium barrel much more of a slapping to my hand than the 10MM. Most factory ammo is way under loaded and handloading is the way to go in my opinion. Or if you don't handload you can go the DoubleTap or CorBon route. From what I have read and have been told by others that shoot it DT is doing some truely amazing things with the 10MM cartridge. As others have already stated the price of 10MM ammo can be high at the local gunshop. But there are good deals to be found online and at the gunshows here in Fla.
Here is my latest acquisition in 10MM. it is a NM Ruger Blackhawk convertible chambered in 38-40 WIN / 10MM auto. With its 6.5 inch barrel and blackhawk frame even the most stout 10MM loads are no problem.
http://photos.imageevent.com/10mmgary/guns/websize/DSC01002.JPG

JohnKSa
July 2, 2005, 09:10 PM
Their ergonomics are really bad--they flat do not point very well for fast and accurate shooting :D :D LOL! Somehow I knew that there would be a jc post on this thread. Kind of funny that it was the very first reply though. All in all, the above is a very predictable response from someone who spends a good bit of time posting negatively about both the 10mm caliber AND Glock pistols separately...

Actually, jc's is not a terribly unique opinion and I'd agree at least so far as to encourage you to handle and shoot one before buying it. The grip is a bit large for some shooters.

Sarge
July 2, 2005, 09:31 PM
Well, I have a 'vicarious' experience with one.

About 12 years ago, one of the local city cops who had a county commission called me & said he was getting the full-size 10mm Glock, and wanted to know when I could qualify him with it for his county reserve time. We agreed on a tentative date about two weeks away, and I told him to get it out and verify the zero, make sure it ran OK, etc. Several guys with dual commissions carried Colt Delta's, and his particular agency had loading equipment set up at the station so the boys could shoot all they wanted.

There was 10mm ammo already loaded, so Charlie drew 50 rounds and took his new 10 out to the range for a tryout. First shot out of the box blew the gun. The right side of the frame and internals turned to shrapnel and ripped up the back of his right hand & wrist pretty good. Of course it was a reload so Charlie was SOL. Never mind the fact that hundreds of rounds from that batch ran fine through the Colts, before & after that incident occured.

No, I don't know the exact load, and never heard what it was. I recall that it had 180 grain JHP's, and didn't seem quite as warm as the 175 grain Silvertips I issued in that caliber. Maybe it was a bad one; I don't know.

I also had a deputy that bught the same model, and his ran fine for the several years that we worked together. He shot some lead reloads through his, but he was also a stickler for keeping his guns clean.

Charlie healed up OK, bought a .40 Beretta after the 10mm kaboomed on him, and never looked back.

Gixerman1000
July 2, 2005, 09:48 PM
Great pistol if it fits your hand (Same grip as the G21 45acp), Mine has been totally reliable and It's very accurate.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/Gixerman1000/Handguns/GlockG20.jpg

Springer45
July 3, 2005, 01:40 AM
We've all got different hands. Mine likes the G20. Yours may or may not, but don't let anyone scare you off by saying "bad ergonomics"; try it for yourself. I can understand why small-handed people wouldn't be the biggest fans.

Zekewolf
July 3, 2005, 07:20 AM
Beware of gross generalizations by the ill-informed and inexperienced! Glocks point and shoot just fine for most folks. Their ergonomics are excellent for all but those with girly-man hands and wrists. :)

Both the G20 and G29 are fine 10mm pistols. Try them for yourself, then report back.

azrael
July 3, 2005, 08:28 AM
Well all I will say is, besides the 19 the Glock 20, is the only Glock that I like and one that I would carry..Although that 35 does seem to be a decent piece of plastic..

If you are cursed as I am with small hands, the grip reduction offered by certain gunsmiths would prolly be a good idea...

hated the idea of cutting a pistol up till I shot one that had it done...now I gotta get me a Glock and have it done! :D

SouthpawShootr
July 3, 2005, 08:35 AM
Have a Glock 20. Might be a hot cartridge, but the bulk of the full size Glock 20 makes it no worse than firing a Glock 22 or 23. My 20 is the most accurate of my Glocks. I love it. In fact, I'm thinking of getting a 29 before too much more time has past. The gun's a bit more beefy than the others, but I have big hands anyway, so matches up pretty well.

Peter M. Eick
July 3, 2005, 10:21 AM
I had one, shot it over 3000 times then sold it. I could not ever get over the squishy feel of the grip during recoil. Trust me when I say that the frame of the gun flexes during recoil with hot loads. The Glockers all call it a "feature" and extoll its virtues. Sort of like Gates calling system crashes in Windoes a "feature". Anyway I sold it, this is after paying for 15 rnd mags, kkm barrel and a bunch of other stuff because I like the 10mm.

I walked away from the G20 with a respect for steel frames and a dislike of plastic oops, I mean "polymer".

On the upside, it was an accurate (for what it was) reliable gun that shot well. I guess to a lot of folks what more could you ask for. To me, it was plastic that flexed and I did not like that.

Hammerhead
July 3, 2005, 12:11 PM
Their ergonomics are really bad--they flat do not point very well for fast and accurate shooting.
Yup, saw that one coming a mile away. You're too predictable JC.
The nice thing about the Glock 20 is its ability to handle the recoil of the 10mm. I tried a 10mm in a 1911 pistol and did not care for it.
I tried a Glock 20 and loved it.
I had mine for a couple of years and shoot it more than other firearm I own. I have a .40s&w conversion barrel that I use a lot. It's just plain sweet.

juliet charley
July 3, 2005, 12:55 PM
Yup, saw that one coming a mile away.
Yep, a lot of people find the G20's (and G21's) grip too large. It's probably the most common objection to G20 (closely followed by the mushy trigger). If you limit your shooting to largely the G20, you could probably learn to compensate for it. Frankly, I want a handgun that when I pick it up and point it that will pointing in the direction of what I'm looking at (without a lot of shifting the grip, etc.).

I like the 10mm and shoot/carry it often. For my money, the best platform for the 10mm remains the S&W 10xx series (particularly the 1066/76/86).

wayneinFL
July 3, 2005, 01:39 PM
People who like large frame Glocks will like the g20. If you're used to the smaller grip and grip angle of the 1911, you won't like the glock. Large frame glocks fit and point well for me, so I like the g20. My first came with a NY trigger, but it's much better now.

G20 is one of my favorite guns.

blades67
July 3, 2005, 09:58 PM
I compete with my Glock 20, and I do fairly well. I have about 10,000 rounds through it since January and about 22,000 total so far. It isn't harder to shoot quickly and accurately with than any other large caliber hand gun.

SouthpawShootr
July 3, 2005, 10:12 PM
I have about 10,000 rounds through it since January

:eek: My goodness. I hope you reload. That's got to be expensive, but I enjoy my G20 so much, I could see myself shooting it this much.

Wildalaska
July 4, 2005, 01:45 AM
One of our gunsmiths carries one for bear protection, shoots 210 hardcasts at 1200 fps

WildsunburnedAlaska

Springer45
July 4, 2005, 02:18 AM
JC - Your second post was much more enlightening than the first, which just seemed to be a generic, prejudiced blast. #2 contained the justifications that readers will find more useful (and less objectionable).

WESHOOT2
July 4, 2005, 08:21 AM
Some time back I bought a M20.
Too big, so off for a grip reduction.
Still pointed funny for me (high).
Sights - replaced (numerous tries, ended up with the superb MMC rear / Heinie front).
Trigger -- replaced guts until it had a super trigger -- under 3lb, perfect take-up, glass-rod break, just friggin' perfect. Like a fine 1911, yep.

But I could feel it unloading (19 rds of 220g has weight), grip never felt correct, and it offered me nothing I couldn't find in a different gun more to my personal liking.

Decent (enough), but IMNSHO over-rated (unlike the M17, which is not).
As is the 10mm cartridge; decent (enough) but offering no new ground to tread......

Sold gun (to friend. Like I said, decent enough.)

OF
July 4, 2005, 09:15 AM
...they flat do not point very well for fast and accurate shooting.Tell that to Dave Sevigny.

The Glock frame has a unique grip angle that takes some getting used to if you shoot 1911's. I find it very hard to transition between the two platforms for this reason. But to say that there is something inherent about the grip angle that handicaps the gun for 'fast and accurate shooting' is just not true. It's different and will have no more or less detriment for you than any gun with a grip angle different than what you're used to.

I carried a 29 for many years (before switching to a single-stack .45) and loved it. It's a hell of a gun. Not for everyone, but man, even when it was just sitting on the counter is positively hums. It's alot of bang for the package. I eventually switched because I can shoot the full-size 45 better, it's alot thinner than the 29 (which can feel a bit like a brick IWB) and it's what I compete with.

juliet charley
July 4, 2005, 12:07 PM
I didn't say anything about the grip angle, did I GRD? That's all your invention. :rolleyes:

I think your statement does sum it up best:
I eventually switched because I can shoot the full-size 45 better, it's alot thinner than the 29 (which can feel a bit like a brick IWB [and in the hand]) and it's what I compete with. :cool:
The G20/29 is just a little too big to be truly shootable for most people.

OF
July 5, 2005, 09:22 AM
Well, JC, when you mentioned 'point very well' that seemed to imply the (in)famous Gee-Lock grip angle. If that's not what you were referring to, then I guess not.

The thickness of the 29 was a comfort issue for me carrying IWB and has nothing to do with shooting it. The 29 is a compact gun, the full-size 1911 isn't. That's the biggest improvement in it's shoot-ability for me...the .45 is bigger, while at the same time being thinner, which is more comfortable to carry.

VaSig
July 6, 2005, 11:26 AM
A friend of mine loaned me his G20 (he'd won it in a raffle, didn't know anything about it til then) for a while and I found it to be an accurate, very shootable pistol - *IF* you have big hands.

The big trouble I had with it was getting ammo - my local shop was plumb out of 10mm for almost 3 weeks!

OJ
July 6, 2005, 11:51 AM
I've had my Glock 20 and 29 since 1997 and have shot thousands of rounds through them - I shoot at least once per week. They are my favorites of all my handguns. True, the ammo is not available locally but there is plenty on line such as from Natchezz at reasonable prices. Blazers 200gr go for $12 and change for boxes of 50 in 10 box lots.

The newest produced is Double Tap owned by Mike McNett and his loads are great - 200gr XTPHP at 1250 fps is just short of 700 ft-lbs muzzle energy and his 180 gr Gold Dot HP at 1300 fps is about 680 ft lbs muzzle energy.

My hands are a little larger than average I guess - I wore size 8 in surgery before I retired and average was 7 1/2 so that's not much different. I admit to not being very recoil sensitive but I don't notice a lot of difference from full power loads in my Glock 22 or 23.

As usual, YMMV.

:) :D

kymasabe
July 6, 2005, 01:30 PM
I recently had an opportunity to shoot a a new Glock at an outdoor match. I'm pretty sure it was the G35, the competition-ready, lighter trigger 10mm Glock. I'm used to shooting my sub-compact Taurus 9mm and was really surprised about how LITTLE recoil there was in the 10mm and how smooth the trigger was. It was great, pointed nicely, very accurate.

caz223
July 6, 2005, 03:30 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the G35 is chambered in .40 S&W.

OF
July 6, 2005, 04:01 PM
Correct - the 35 is .40S&W.