PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Else Conflicted About CAS?

Kestrel
June 29, 2005, 12:38 AM
I find the concept of Cowboy Action Shooting interesting. That is, using old guns in a shooting competition. My reservation is the costumes. I mean no offense in this, but that is just not my thing. I would love to shoot some competitions, using Vaqueros, lever actions, shotguns, etc., but I'm not playing "period" dress-up. I'm not knocking those folks who enjoy that, it's just disappointing to me that it is such a big part of it. It's hard for me to be interested when it looks like it involves costumes and cowboy story nicknames.

Are there any CAS competitions or groups that just do this without the drama? (Again, no offense to those that are involved in this - just not my cup of tea.)

Thanks.

Malamute
June 29, 2005, 12:57 AM
Look at my post in the "lets be realistic" thread. There was some discussion of something similar to this.

I've used my single action revolvers in a couple different types of plate shoots. not that I thought I'd win anything, but did better than I thought. And better than most watching thought. I'd like to shoot my SA's and levers in different types of shoots more. Maybe a "practical traditional", or a "field" class in IDPA or another shoot would work?

I can't get too excited about the rules and regulations in a couple of different shoots, like IDPA and cowboy shoots.

Sir William
June 29, 2005, 12:59 AM
Western themed clothing is a requirement of all sanctioned CAS. The minimum would be some form of boot, non-designer jeans or Carhartts, a button placket shirt and a western styled hat. You don't need to dress like a B western extra. It IS cowboy action shooting. I have seen people dressed as butchers, firemen, bartenders, milkmen and one lady who shoots in a bikini. One hot summer day had many shooters in their longjohns. I have dressed as a peon simply by wearing white hospital scrubs. Use your imagination. One guy dressed as a Scots Guard, complete with kilt.

Kestrel
June 29, 2005, 09:54 AM
William,

That's exactly my point. I'm not going to wear any costumes or dress up. I have no interest in that whatsoever. Only the shooting is what interests me.

Edward429451
June 29, 2005, 10:11 AM
Aw, you're just being shy... :D

Take your ladyfriend/wife with you. Deck her out in one of those cool old dresses and then they wont even see you! ;) :D

IronLance
June 29, 2005, 08:31 PM
So, hold your own matches. People will show up to shoot. Even those who 'dress up' and have a good time in period costumes will come to shoot.

Just make sure you attach the caveat in whatever billing you use, "Period costuming NOT required."

Glenn E. Meyer
July 1, 2005, 02:34 PM
Just be lucky we don't have Star Trek or Star Wars Action shooting.

Just an aside, a friend of mine used to CAS but after 9/11 couldn't take it seriously anymore.

I did watch the mounted shooting on ShootingUSA the other day and that looks like a blast although I have zero idea about how to ride a horse like that.

Erich
July 1, 2005, 02:38 PM
No conflicts here: it seems silly to me, but I'm glad others enjoy it. :)

I'm happy to see a shooting sport become so popular.

Brian D.
July 1, 2005, 06:35 PM
One of the early SASS participants from Ohio (me!) has a saying for those that feel self-conscious about dressing correctly to shoot Cowboy Action: "Grow up and start actin' like a kid already!"

Of course it's not for everybody, but it's my firm belief that the costuming aspect of the game has helped draw in more female shooters than any other gungame. This means couples and even families participate together, and that is indeed encouraging for the future growth of this event.