PDA

View Full Version : BuckMark holster

PCurrent
December 6, 1998, 10:01 PM
Anyone know where I can get a holster for a Browning Micro BuckMark Plus (4" barrel)? The only holster I found was an uncle mike's "universal .22" holster, and I am hesitant toward something that wasn't designed for my specific weapon.

Thanks,
-PCurrent

Rosco Benson
December 7, 1998, 09:13 AM
I had a Micro Buckmark for a few years. It worked nicely and is only gone due to my easily bored and fickle nature (toward hardware). Like you, I wanted a holster that was nicer than the nylon "bags". I turned to a shop called Minuteman, out in the Pacific Northwest. They built me a nice high-ride, leather, somewhat pancake-like holster...made and blocked specifically for the Buckmark. It relied on frcition for retention (no strap) and was secure and fast.

The operation has moved to Texas and does business under the name of "K Holsters" or similar. They have a website, www.kholsters.com, I think. Have a look.

Rosco

Rob Pincus
December 7, 1998, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately PC, you may have to resrot to a custom hoslter as Rosco did. After searching the catalogs of most of the major manufacturers I didn't find one holster that is made to fit the Buckmark.

As a side note, I was surprised at the number of newer holster designs that are also not made for the Hi-Power.... Not being a Hi-power guy I never noticed until I was staring at the pages looking for Browning handgun holsters...

------------------
-Essayons

Rosco Benson
December 7, 1998, 01:25 PM
Not to quibble, but I've never considered it a problem to "resort to" a custom holster. While it may be marginally more convenient to pick up a holster "off the rack" at the local gunshop, it's not much trouble to order EXACTLY what you want from a custom maker. It really doesn't cost much (if any) more either...they're not exactly giving away good quality factory holsters.

It always puzzles me to see a person shell out several hundred dollars for a quality pistol and then put it in a generic-fit, velcro-secured, cordura nylon "bag" (I won't call it a holster). The pistol is a reactive instrument. The pistol and holster are a "system". A well-designed and executed holster, of "factory" or "custom" manufacture, is required for safety, comfort, and efficiency in use.

Rosco

[This message has been edited by Rosco Benson (edited 12-07-98).]

Rob Pincus
December 7, 1998, 03:06 PM
Sorry, I meant that it was unfortunate that the major manufacturers aren't offering a holster for the Buckmark, with countless thousands of them in the marketplace. I suppose it is not really a gun meant to be "carried" and most users will keep it in a gun bag or a hardside case to and from the range, using an Unlce Mikes type holster while shooting perhaps.

Since you brought it up. I would be unlikely to spend very much money on a holster for some relatively costly guns. For example, I have two model 41s that have been worked on in the performance center, but I wouldn't bother to buy a decent holster for them, as I never carry those guns. I put the Buckmark in a similar category, though it might make a great camp gun it would not likely be my first choice.

There is much to be said, IMHO, for a bit of penny pinching when it comes to accessories. I wish I could trade in a lot of seldom used leather and other accessories (what was I thinking when I bought G&G shoulder holster for a Desert Eagle ?!?) for a couple of extra firearms. Of course, I don't apply this theory to self-defense carry or duty gear, but for plinking at the range, give me the cheapo plated .22LR and the nylon holster for my dirty .22 semi-auto any day!
Fit and Finish is nice, but Function is really the main thing for me.

------------------
-Essayons