PDA

View Full Version : I want a New 9mm, Which one??

June 16, 2005, 10:01 AM
I want to get a new nine, because the Hi Point just ain't cutting it any more. I have narrowed it down to either the NEW S&W Sigma, Ruger or and EAA Witness. Please vote and give comments.

Jack Bauer
June 16, 2005, 10:17 AM
Well, since my personal choice (H & K P2000) isn't there, I'd say go with the Ruger. When funds become available, I'll be getting the new KP95PR (or whatever they're calling it). I had a P95 a few years ago and let it go so I could get a Glock; I shoulda kept the Ruger. They're solid, reliable guns, built to last 'til long after you're gone.

News Shooter
June 16, 2005, 10:24 AM
The Sigma is it

BryanP
June 16, 2005, 10:30 AM
Of the three the Ruger would be my first choice. Ugly as sin but They Just Work.

The Sigma has a bad reputation, but I've heard they're much improved.

I've heard the Witness series can be a mixed bag. They usually work just fine, but ...

walpur6isknight
June 16, 2005, 10:31 AM
glock 19, its the only 9mm worth owning.

and by the way...............
while i have alot of respect for ruger, and think they are a top notch manufacturer. ill have to admit id opt for a semi auto glock. esp. in 9mm. the glock 19 is about as close to perfection as the glock can get. its as good as a 9mm gets. its size and amount of capacity make it the best. and the simple safe action system is about as good as it gets for a combat/defensive firearm.
just remember to keep your booger hooker off of the bang switch.
theres alot of aftermarket, cheap parts, and just plain reliability make the glock stand out. for the money its hard to beat a glock if you looking at semi auto 9mm pistols.

other catridges demand other platforms however....(for me anyway)
YMMV

ruger is a fine producer, and if given a choice between a glock semi and a ruger wheelgun, id opt for the ruger wheelie.

but i dont care for ruger semis, esp their synthetic frames.
the aluminum ones are fine though.
i own one, its alright. no problems. (p85)

and the EEA witness? i dont buy second rate junk.
sigma? smith and wesson should stick with things that go
round and round........... round and round......................round and round..............................

chaim
June 16, 2005, 10:31 AM
Out of your list I'd go with the Sigma hands down (in fact I plan on buying one in the next year or two).

After once being the owner of a Ruger P89 I am far from a fan of the Ruger 9mms. If you were considering a budget .45ACP I'd say strongly consider Ruger, but the 9mm isn't half the gun the .45s are.

Of course my first choices in 9mms in roughly that price range aren't on your list (but I assume you already considered other guns and are just trying to narrow down the finalists, since you basically said so, so I won't waste your time by listing a bunch of other guns I think you should consider).

tulsamal
June 16, 2005, 10:32 AM
The gold standard in "service size" 9mm's is the Glock 17. That's just the way it is. And you should be able to find an ex-LEO M17 for a good price.

You may or may not like the Glock line but every good gun collection should include a G17! Once you fire a few hundred rounds through it you just might see what the attraction is.

Gregg

ATW525
June 16, 2005, 10:40 AM
I put in my vote for the Witness. Ruger 9mms are just plain ugly, imo, and SWocks are even uglier. After all, the Witness comes with a metal frame version which you can probably get a nice set of exotic hardwood grips. It's not the most scientific method of selecting which is best, but all else being equal it never hurts to goes with the gun with the most style. :D

just one question
June 16, 2005, 10:43 AM
BOOOOOOO {shakes fist at glock} :p I like the beretta better then a glock.

on topic

Of the 3 I say ruger because it is pretty easy to find cheap and its reputation as a rugged reliable gun.

walpur6isknight
June 16, 2005, 10:50 AM
i dont care for beretta products. ive only shot one and it was the model 92, and i was not impressed with fit finish nor function.
JM2C YMMV

CougarRed
June 16, 2005, 11:12 AM
In the $400 +/- price range, I'd seriously consider an XD-9 or a Certified Pre-Owned Sig P228.

walpur6isknight
June 16, 2005, 11:14 AM
yes, the sig p228 is a good pistol. sigs are very well built
however..... but the glock will handle abuse better. sigs can be sensitive to rusting unless you keep them tip top.
ymmv

Cryptoboy
June 16, 2005, 11:28 AM
Another voter for the Glock 17 or 19 here, especially if it's going to be a carry gun.

dickfunk
June 16, 2005, 11:34 AM
I could say Sig or H&K or whatever, but, out of the choices you listed, I voted Sigma. I've owned one for years and it's the SW9VE model. PM me if you want more info...

somerled
June 16, 2005, 11:38 AM
Of the three you have listed, I'd lean toward the Ruger. They are not pretty. The ones I've tried don't shoot as tight as groups as my Browning Hi-Power or Sig P226. But they feed just dang near anything one can justify calling "ammunition". They are durable.

The EAA Witness looks like it would be fun to play with. The polymer framed pistols can be equipped with conversion kits in .45 ACP, 10mm, .40 S&W, .38 Super and .22 LR. The steel-framed 9mm can only be converted to .40 S&W and .22 LR because the receiver is a bit shorter. However, a steel, large-frame pistol can be converted to the same calibers as the polymer one.

K_Frame_Fan
June 16, 2005, 11:48 AM
Browning Hi-Power...no further comment

shooter56
June 16, 2005, 01:37 PM
I've had very good luck with my Sigma, the 9GVE (NATO green version of the 9VE). Absolutely reliable, accurate, feels good in the hand, and at under $300, it's a great price. A little bit of a stiff trigger at first, but after about 500 rounds, it loosens right up.

June 16, 2005, 01:40 PM
How much did it loosen up? It's almost 10 pounds factory. Could you check and post the weight now?

LoadIt
June 16, 2005, 01:51 PM
Another vote for Glock 19.

However, out of your choices, I'd go with the Ruger.
I have a P90 in .45ACP and it is able to take alot of abuse. Not exceptionally accurate, but I can hit what I aim for. The sights on mine are kind of crappy, but from what I have read, Ruger has improved sights on their newer models.

bclark1
June 16, 2005, 02:12 PM
USP or a version thereof. love love love it.

i'm looking at a glock 17 for the family in the future.

of the list, i've enjoyed shooting ruger autoloaders even though i've never owned one. guess that's the important thing, sticking to the list :P

Bullrock
June 16, 2005, 02:20 PM
ATW525
I put in my vote for the Witness. Ruger 9mms are just plain ugly
Bryanp
Of the three the Ruger would be my first choice. Ugly as sin but They Just Work.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=13355
This is my new Ruger P345. IMHO it's beautiful! I also have a P95D15. It is also beautiful.

Everything on both of these two guns works effortlessly. The balance is nice. The trigger is a little long on the P95, but great on the P345. Both are accurate, easy to take down. I don't own the Witness or the Sigma, so I can't comment

ATW525
June 16, 2005, 02:24 PM
I admit, I like the looks of the 345, that's why I said Ruger 9mms are ugly ;)

I suppose, however, if everybody else can push for guns that aren't even on his list, we can push for calibers that aren't on his list in guns that are... :p

shooter56
June 16, 2005, 02:24 PM
How much did it loosen up? It's almost 10 pounds factory. Could you check and post the weight now?

I'm not enough a gun guy to be able to measure trigger pull, but because I was used to an SW99, the double action trigger seemed especially stiff. But as I say, after about 500 rounds over three or four trips to the range, it definitely loosened up. I generally shoot it side by side with the SW99 and the difference isn't nearly as noticeable now. It's no single action pull to be sure, but I like it just as it is now that's it's broken in a bit.

denfoote
June 16, 2005, 02:30 PM
Get the Sigma!!!

To own one is to love one!! :D

payne
June 16, 2005, 04:20 PM
Don't you hate it when everyone starts pushing brands on you that aren't on your list, *cough* getanXD *cough*. So, with that said. From your list I'd say Ruger. Just know people have always had good things to say about them. Enjoy the search for a new 9! :D

stephen426
June 16, 2005, 04:41 PM
When you say that the Hi Point just isn't cutting it anymore, what do you mean? How will you be using this gun?

The guns you have listed are all full sized. Does size matter (when it comes to guns at least :eek: :p :D )? I'm pretty sure that price matters based on your selection. If you already have other guns, I suggest saving up a little longer and buying a better gun. I hope that doesn't sound snobbish.

If I had to pick one of those three, I would have to shoot them all first. The Sigma is acopy of the Glock, although the early ones were very poor copies. The newer ones are supposed to be better. I've shot Ruger semi-autos before and wasn't very impressed with the over all quality of them. (I know I'm a snob!) As for the EAA Witness, this is base off the CZ-75 design which is a great gun. Why don't you consider the CZ instead and pay the small difference.

If you are depending on this gun for self defense, I suggest you buy quality and reliability. That is why you see so many reccomendations for Glocks. They are not that much more than the guns you are looking at. I think Glocks are tough to beat, especially since they are great guns at such a great value.

SteelToe
June 17, 2005, 10:34 PM
I would go with a sig p226

It was the first handgun I ever bought about 6 years back when I was 21. It is still my favorite and it seems I have been spoiled by it. Every other 9 I shoot I just cannot get into. I LOVE that the sig p226 has no safteys so for self defense it is unrivaled (in my humble opinion). It is VERY utilitarian in function and I think second only to Glock in way of indestructability.

Also it is super quick to reload. When one magazine is spent and it is locked in the open position the magazine release is easy to hit and once the new one is popped in you can release the slide so it is ready to go with a flick of your thumb. I never understood why on smith and wessons and others the release for the slide is way up over the trigger near impossible to hit with a thumb while holding a ready to fire position. Maybe I have small girl fingers I dunno.

Thoughts?

topspin43
June 17, 2005, 11:04 PM
that IS a pretty Ruger!

yekimak
June 17, 2005, 11:25 PM
of the 3, ruger....witness service is a pain if you need it(so I have heard)and I don't care for how high the rear sight is, and I just have no love for the smith.

jonathon
June 17, 2005, 11:27 PM
You will not be disapointed with a Ruger or a Witness.

FWIW, I really like the Witness.

yayarx7
June 18, 2005, 12:31 AM
Having owned a Sigma and a CZ (not really Witness, but...) and having shot a Ruger in competition, I would say go for the Witness. I hated the Sigma trigger and the Ruger's reset felt funny to me. Overall I think you would not go wrong with any of your choices. I just would have to select CZ, er Witness. :)

stevelyn
June 18, 2005, 02:16 AM
A Smith & Worthless, a brick with a handle and trigger (Ruger) and a wannabe CZ.
Hmmmmmmmmm. Not much of a choice. Perhaps you should handle them and see which you like best.

ron8903
June 18, 2005, 06:30 AM
I voted for the Ruger because of it's tougher than nail's construction.
But IMHO the Sig family of sidarms are the very best that money can buy.

TBT
June 18, 2005, 09:42 AM
I just bought a Witness but haven't recieved it yet. I did a lot of research on it and chose it over the CZ75. It seems that the customer service for EAA is bad by reputation but that the Tanfoglio Witness is actually a very accurate and well made gun with a lot of drop in part upgrades and options including caliber interchangability.

That was my choice for a cheapo gun but I can't testify to weather or not it was the right choice yet.

Eric Larsen
June 18, 2005, 10:24 AM
Quote "just remember to keep your booger hooker off of the bang switch"

Didnt you used to write for Soldier of Fortune????????

Pushing Glock as the ONLY platform for the 9mm and slamming Beretta in the same thread only goes to show you have alot to learn about guns.
Much like the little squids I used to teach to ride and they get on their sport bikes daddy bought them and ride with their Kevlar shades and sandels!

Out of the 3, which 2 Ive owned and carried, the Sigma Ive shot and didnt like it for a couple of reasons.......I voted for the Witness.

Oh....you didnt like the Witness, thats right! Second rate junk???????

Your vast experience in the gun world has shown through yet again.......:D

Sorry, I shouldnt get pissed but the voices in my head tell me to do otherwise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shoot well.........

Jkwas
June 18, 2005, 12:18 PM
I am very pleased with my ruger P89. If I bought an additional auto it might be something else, but probably a lot more expensive also. Either way, I won't part with the Ruger. It's just ultra dependable. Never a glitch.

walpur6isknight
June 18, 2005, 03:39 PM
i dont care for the beretta. i was not impressed with the ones ive handled. perhaps before they see several thousands of rounds they might seem a little better. the only ones ive come into contact with felt loose and finicky. and were all but used up.
i was left unimpressed.
ftfs mostly mag related i will admit.
ruger is ok, i think they make much better wheelguns. i dont dislike their semis, i just dont care much for them. ruger is the best of the 3.
i love ruger wheelguns more than any other wheelguns.
and as for the eaa witness. ive never even given them a chance. a friend owns one and he has had NOTHING but trouble, as well as problems with MFG.
smith and wesson sigma? thats crazy, and its garbage. smith has gone way down hill. end of story.

glock is hands down the best for the money. parts are readily available, they do have the best finish in the business. all the hype aside, they just work, and are perfect for 9mm. OTHER CALIBERS DEMAND OTHER PLATFORMS however, and i wouldnt own a glock in any other caliber, although i have in the past. the 9mm is just perfect for the glock. i bet you are just the gunstore commando type who says glocks kb all the time, there are better gun makers, sig makes great guns, guess what, wilson does too. but sigs are high maint. compared to the glock, and if you dont care for it in a traditional sense it will rust on you. the glock is better in this aspect. and with a little tweaking a glock can be just as reliable as a sig or hk.

IM_Lugger
June 18, 2005, 05:36 PM
I voted Sigma,

BUT I'd save up a buy a decent like a Beretta or Sig

Half-Price Assassin
June 24, 2005, 12:07 AM
GLOCK 17

or Glock 34 for range

or Glock 19, or 26 for CCW

SONICMASD
June 25, 2005, 01:48 AM
jesus, i hate it when people list other brands, the guy has had a hard enough time narrowing it down to 3 so just help him out. he doesnt need any more advertisment or he wouldve asked for it.

i think id go with the ruger also, i hate them for the most part but the other choices arent any better. my roomates p95 is a jamamatic so i cant say they "just work" but when it does shoot i do like the way it shoots.

Cage11
June 26, 2005, 09:52 AM
I am inerested in buying either a P228 or any 9mm S&W or suitable alternative 9mm privately. Please contact me if you have anything sutaible to sell.

Trockstroh
June 26, 2005, 02:10 PM
Buy a Ruger P89 I love mine I was thinking of getting rid of it but I just can't. It like they said just works, it is built like a tank and would take nothing shy of a sledgehammer to break it. Cleaning it isn't to difficult and taking it apart is a breeze.

Jkwas
June 26, 2005, 05:29 PM
I took my P89 to the range today, and shot 3in groups at 40ft. Is that good enough? Love that P89.