PDA

View Full Version : Remington Model 11 modification

Denny Hansen
June 14, 2005, 09:31 PM
Okay, I'm about to suggest sacrilege:

I've acquired a Remington Model 11, serial no. 2XXX which places its date of manufacure in 1905 in the first batch made by Remington. All parts are correct and match, except the barrel has obvioulsy been replaced, probably killing any collectors value it may have had. The barrel will be cut to 18.5 inches and I will replace the original bead/ramp with a Williams shorty dovetail ramp and bead.

Also, is there a way to modify the carrier latch so that one does not have to push in the carrier latch button to load every shell, as can be done with the Browning A5 of similar ancestry?

Denny

cntryboy1289
June 20, 2005, 08:39 PM
You can replace it with the two piece Browning carrier latch. Make sure to orient it correctly so the latch will drop down to pick up the shell.

As to the value of the second hand barrel, check it to see if you can see the proof marks on it. If it was an original factory barrel of the same era, it shouldn't drop the value significantly.

Denny Hansen
June 20, 2005, 10:04 PM
Thanks, cntryboy. I figured the two-piece carrier latch from the A5 might work, but wanted to get some input before I sprung for the hundred bucks or so a new one will cost.

Denny

cntryboy1289
June 21, 2005, 11:45 AM
Browning isn't normally considered to be a company that makes parts for other company's guns, but this one works well. You can also replace the carrier latch spring with the newer Browning design that fits inside the trigger gaurd on a pin.

Make sure when you put it in that you orient the two piece latch to where the second piece will have enough reach to pick up the shell out of the magazine. It looks ok both ways, but it won't pick up the shell when it is upside down. Make sure it looks just like your original latch before putting it in.