PDA

View Full Version : IDPA/IPSC Calibers? [Stupid Question]

MicroBalrog
June 2, 2005, 04:06 PM
What is the biggest alllowed handgun caliber for use in IDPA?

What about IPSC?

Has anybody ever tried competing with a bigger caliber than normally allowed and getting some form of dispensation from his local referree/equiv. for that?

I am asking this question because when I move to the US I intend to carry a rather, umm, large hangun [yes, I have a model picked, I just don't want to expose myself to ridicule, it's not a very popular carry gun], and I don't know if IDPA/IPSC will be conducive to miy training.

CraZkid
June 2, 2005, 05:37 PM
The people here are pretty open-minded, I doubt you will be ridiculed; so let us know about your hand-cannon!

To answer your question to the best of my ability:the largest I have seen is the classic .45 acp.

Old Shooter
June 3, 2005, 04:43 AM
In IDPA the rules state 9mm or larger. In their CDP division you are restricted to .45. Aside from that there are no other caliber restrictions. However, something like a .50 is just plain useless and noncompetative due to recoil and perhaps size of gun. The gun must fit into a box measuring 8 3/4" x 6" x 1 5/8" with a magazine installed. Barrel is restricted to 5" on a semi and 4.2" on a revolver. All guns must have a minimum annual production of 2,000 units.

Will yours work in those confines?

ted murphy
June 3, 2005, 07:27 AM
We had a guy shoot a .45 Colt at 300 power factor, that was the biggest we had.

FWIW, IDPA and USPSA production has a box the gun has to fit in, which would eliminate something like a desert eagle .50AE, though ask the MD and he might let make some kind of arrangement to try it. (might be a limited legal gun, dunno)

Only thing is those kinds of guns PUNISH steel targets and the MD's might not be in a hurry to permit you to shoot them.

Ted

MicroBalrog
June 3, 2005, 07:40 AM
FWIW, IDPA and USPSA production has a box the gun has to fit in

Well, I believe Desert Eagles have a shorter-barrel variant...

*slinks away before the mocking starts*

Lycanthrope
June 3, 2005, 11:43 PM
Well, it will put you in ESP class in IDPA and that will leave you shooting against the 1911's in 9mm.

For USPSA it will be fine for Limited 10.

Either sport may give you a hassle about steel shooting on the club level.

Helmut
June 4, 2005, 11:42 AM
uspsa

38super or 9x21 for open
40 for limited

both these are pretty common......but there are a few that shoot 40 in a open gun.