PDA

View Full Version : Glock Reloads

John28226
May 29, 2005, 12:57 PM
My new Glock 30 will not cycle using the lighter "target loads" that my 1911 shot just fine. Is there a lighter recoil spring assembly available for this gun? The recoil spring and guide rod appear to be in one piece. Thanks for any suggestions. Oh, yes, I am using jacketed bullets (200 gr.) and 4.5 gr. Bullseye.
John

J.D.B.
May 29, 2005, 05:11 PM
You can either bump up the load by .2gr increments, staying below max. till it works or try a lighter spring. The non-captive parts are available from Wolff through Midway or another good supplier. Different gun, different loading needs.
Shoot safe,
Josh

JohnKSa
May 29, 2005, 05:25 PM
There probably are, but before going to a lighter recoil spring, you should probably check with a Glock Armorer or with Glock. The striker spring and the recoil spring balance each other when the pistol is in battery. If you go too light on the recoil spring, or too heavy on the striker spring you can cause some functioning problems. It's theoretically possible to cause an unsafe condition.

Zekewolf
May 29, 2005, 05:42 PM
You'll be wasting your time and Glock's by asking them whether you should use a different recoil spring weight. You really think they're going to tell you to do that?

Check with Matt, at Custom Glock Racing, for his recommendations. He uses lighter-than-factory recoil springs in all his Glocks. Unless you go WAY light, you're not going to risk the striker spring's keeping the slide out of battery. Brownell's carries the Wolff guide rod and spring sets. If this is your first Glock, try again, but make a special effort to lock your wrists and don't let your elbows act like shock absorbers. Glocks need more resistance from the shooter than do 1911s.

Davis
May 30, 2005, 01:49 PM
Ah, and here I was thinking that Glocks and reloads were never to be mentioned in the same state...

I agree with Zekewolf about your source of information. Glock would not have an incentive to advise you about altering their pistol to fire loads they specifically tell you not to fire (and most companies would be similar in their approach to the question).

Davis

JohnKSa
May 30, 2005, 07:06 PM
I agree that the striker keeping the slide slightly out of battery isn't likely (that would be the possibly unsafe condition), however, as the striker spring gets heavier, there's more resistance to the slide moving forward. That can cause stoppages. Then there's the issue of what can happen if you accidentally use the lighter spring with hotter ammo. Davis is probably right--since he's speaking in the same terms as the manual when it advises against the use of anything other than good quality factory ammo.

Of course, a lot of people get away with shooting reloads in their Glocks--but some don't...

Superhornet
May 31, 2005, 07:13 AM
Go to the Glocktalk Web site..Lots of information.......

Zekewolf
May 31, 2005, 07:35 AM
The only thing that'll happen if you accidentally use hot ammo with the lighter spring is that the slide will move faster...no big deal, and no problem.

JohnKSa
May 31, 2005, 10:14 PM
the slide will move faster...and therefore the barrel will also unlock faster--which could be a big deal depending on how fast "faster" is.