PDA

View Full Version : First Shotgun

63Belair
May 25, 2005, 12:48 AM
Hello, soon I will be getting my first shotgun that will be primarily used for skeet, and possibly some hunting.
I was looking for any advice, information, or recomendations on the Winchester 1300 Ranger Compact and the Benelli Nova both in 20 gauge.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Dave McC
May 25, 2005, 04:34 AM
Either will do the job. So will an 870 Remington, a 500/590 Mossberg and the Ithaca 37.

Get the one that feels best. Then BA/UU/R....

InSoMNiaX23
May 25, 2005, 06:06 AM
My first shotgun was an 870 Express 12ga w/ 28" VR barrel. I got it when I was 18 and I have had no problems with it in the past 7 years. I think its a great gun (time tested design, reliable action, easy to maintain, etc.). It's not quite a Wingmaster, but after being cycled as much as it has, it has become very smooth. My buddy has a 1300 that I've tried out once or twice. I didn't care for it but that is just me. I would get whatever feels best and fits you right, but my vote is for the 870.

HunterTRW
May 25, 2005, 08:46 AM
If I may make a suggestion, regardless of what brand and model you purchase make certain that the shotgun fits you in terms of length of pull, drop at comb, and drop at heel. The results will be better scores at Skeet, and greater personal comfort as you shoot.

Find a competent shooting instructor and have him/her accompany you as you evaluate the various manufacturers' offerings. The instructor can show you how to properly mount the gun, determine which is your master-eye, and check for best overall fit. This may take a little time, and you should offer to compensate the instructor for his/her services, but I believe that you will find this up-front investment to be worthwhile in the long run.

Welcome to the ranks of the scatter-gunners. You are embarking upon a sport that can literally provide a lifetime of enjoyment.

Good luck, and good shooting!

Ruger4570
May 25, 2005, 09:01 AM
All the guns mentioned will work on the skeet field. I would suggest you go to the skeet club and look at what people are using... you will find most everybody that is seriously skeet shooting to be using an auto or a O/U. If your primary goal is skeet shooting, you might want to consider getting one of those type guns. It is not that a pump won't work, it is just that more often than not most have a problem getting their second shot off quickly enough,, I said "most" I know some pump users that are incredably fast and do well, I just think that a pump in skeet is a handicap in this sport. My $.02 worth.

kudu
May 25, 2005, 04:25 PM
I will second what Ruger4570 said. A pump gun is an ideal all round gun, but not an ideal skeet gun, they can be used in the right hands with no problems, but they are experienced hands.

63Belair
May 25, 2005, 10:17 PM
Yeah, I guess I did not do the best job describing what I would be using the gun for. Skeet would be its primary use, but I am looking for a more all round gun, and maybe in a few years move to an O/U.

Thanks for all the replies though, they are greatly appreciated

chris in va
May 25, 2005, 11:54 PM
Don't get the 20ga Nova. I have one, wish I had chosen the 870 or an inexpensive o/u in 12ga. You're just handicapping yourself with the 20ga. Limbsaver makes a fantastic recoil pad that'll tame the 12's if you're worried about that.

The action is far from smooth and catches a lot on the doubles. The sight rail is angled down too which makes for odd POI. Ergonomics are fantastic however...