PDA

View Full Version : First fulllsize handgun...

Megaloman84
May 12, 2005, 10:54 AM
I recently turned 21 and promptly went out and purchased a Bersa Thunder .380

It's a great little gun and should keep me satiated until I can afford something a little more substantial. However, I'm already starting to think about about what sort of fullsize handgun to start saving for next.

Since I'm a college student, I don't have a lot of spare cash lying around. I'v narrowed the short list down to a few decent but economical choices.

CZ-75/Witness/Baby Eagle

I've never fired any of these, but I have handled the Witness, and liked the ergonomics. Feature-wise, I give the nod to the CZ, since it can be had with a decocking lever. All seem to be very affordable and a good value for the money. Anybody have any thought or experiences that would help me decide between the CZ or its clones?

Also on the list

Taurus 24/7

It seems to get rave reviews. Ergonomically, it just doesn't seem as nice as the CZ to me. I know that's odd, because ergonomics usually seems to be where it scores best. Still, the ones I've handled have been perfectly acceptable and the price certainly can't be beat. One thing I am hesitant about though is the DAO trigger.

Auto-Ordnance WWII 1911

I admit it, I'm a sucker for 1911's :)

The first handgun I ever shot was a pitted, corroded, slab sided peice of 60 year-old GI crap, that shot like an absolute dream. 1911s just seem to fit right in my hand like John Browning had me in mind when he designed them. They're well laid out, solid, and exceptionally pointable. I've shot maybe a dozen or so handguns in the intervening time, but never with better results or more fun than I had with that first 1911, or a subsequent Kimber I had the pleasure to try out.

I've heard that Auto-Ordnance used to have a lot of problems, but that they've gotten a lot better since being taken over by Kahr. If this is true, then their entry-level 1911 is an unbeatable value. Anybody have any experience with them?

Just for variety, I'm also considering a Ruger GP-100 of some sort. I've, heard good things about them, I like how they feel and especially like the price point.

If any of you would like to share you insight on the relative merits and demarits of these arms, or some better candidate I've overlooked, I'd much appreciate your input.

Thanks.

IZHUMINTER
May 12, 2005, 10:58 AM
I love the CZ design, but I prefer the Compact over the full size. Full size, I prefer a BHP or 1911; John Moses Browning seems to have forseen my coming and designed two pistols with grip angles and widths that make them extensions of my hand.

Of the three you're looking at, I'd get the CZ (or clone). The 24/7 doesn't feel right to me (especially with the "ribber" grips) and the sights on all GI 1911s suck.

gudel
May 12, 2005, 11:01 AM
looks like you already know what you wanted.

Megaloman84
May 12, 2005, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I pretty much know what I want, I just can't decide what to get first :D

The problem with guns is that there are just too many good ones to choose from.

I'm starting to think it's a deliberate conspiracy by the gun makers to keep me poor :(

ATW525
May 12, 2005, 12:03 PM
Never shot any of the guns on your list, but given the choice I'd opt for the CZ 75, since it has an overwhelming strong following.

Don't forget about other 1911s in that price range either... such as Rock Islands... again no personal experiance there, but they're supposed to be built close to original G.I. as you can get.

Seraph
May 12, 2005, 12:50 PM
Go for the full size CZ 75B. Mine's a super tackdriver, which seems to be the average review. I've seen them online for $349.

captbruubaker
May 12, 2005, 04:32 PM
Hey I'm in the same boat my friend. I recently turned 21 and a student and im going out to get my first pistol within the next few days. Im gonna go for the nicely priced Springfield Armory GI 1911. Good price for a classic 1911.

Bullrock
May 12, 2005, 05:01 PM
I have the CZ 75B because it came in glossy blue and the BD didn't. I put a couple of light wood Houge grips on, and it is beautiful. :D If you wan't a decocker (good choice) it's the BD. The CZ 75 is a big steel gun, and deadly accurate. I don't have big hands (size L), but I like big guns. That's one of the reasons I sold my Bersa Thunder.

I also bought a CZ P01 two weeks ago. That is the CZ model I would recommend. :D Not quite as big or heavy, but like the 75B, deadly accurate. I have put over 200 rounds of 9mm everything (including some old Federal stuff (50 Rds.) I bought for $7.00) through it without a hiccup.

I don't have much experience with your other choices. I'm not much of a 1911 shooter.

Good luck ...

USP C 9mm
CZ 75B
CZ P01
PT-92 SS5
Browning Pro-9
SW66 2" .357
Ruger SP101 3" .357
Taurus 85 Ultra-Lite .38Spl. +p
Plus a few others.....
My next...Beretta PX4 Storm

briang2ad
May 12, 2005, 05:11 PM
CZ has:

Great grip.

Good accuracy.

Great dependability.

Looks and feels like a REAL combat pistol.

Decent customer service.

A 1911 is a fine gun, but will not GENERALLY function as reliably out of the box. The design was not for HPs and it does not have a ramped barrel accordingly.

IMI clones also feel very good, and can come with good triggers.

WillBrayjr
May 12, 2005, 05:28 PM
I had a Kahr/Auto-Ordanace 1911A1 and it is just as good as any other 1911A1 out there.

bclark1
May 12, 2005, 06:40 PM
another vote for the CZ. my buddy (we're all college students too!) sold his dirt cheap since he's graduating and shipping out to boot camp next month, i was _pissed_ he didn't give me an opportunity to make a counteroffer. he's really into having sort of a "dynamic" collection of guns, meaning he's constantly buying, selling and trading, and of the maybe 10 guns of his i shot the CZ was probably my fav.

S.E.R.T.SGT
May 12, 2005, 11:33 PM
Another vote for the CZ 75, I love mine.

Megaloman84
May 13, 2005, 01:38 AM
Thanks everyone. The more I think about it, the more I like the thought of a CZ-75 BD. I'll Have to go try one out at my local range sometime soon, if I can find one to rent or borrow...

DoItRight
May 13, 2005, 02:54 AM
Don't sleep on (overlook) the Sig P226. Nice deals to be had if you find one of the police trade-ins.

perception
May 13, 2005, 11:53 AM
Before you make a decision, go to Ordnance Outsellers (http://www.ordnanceoutsellers.com)

They have phenomenal deals on many guns, look at the sig certified preowned, they are really cheap and probably close to your price range.

spacemanspiff
May 13, 2005, 11:58 AM
baby eagles are great.
sig's are great.
1911's are great.

but you should make up your mind whether or not you want a SA, DAO, or SA/DA. that will help narrow your choices down.