PDA

View Full Version : favorite squirrel recipe

rr41mag
November 5, 2000, 06:50 PM
Any of yall got a favorite. Frying em is the option but thought someone might have something different.

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!

Sisco
November 5, 2000, 07:35 PM
Try these sites: http://outdoorinternational.com/recipes/ http://www.kern.com/~dfisher/recipe.html

BadMedicine
November 5, 2000, 08:10 PM
I do not consider frying 'em an option. Just my opinion, but they're already reasonably tough, and frying them usually will turn them to the equivelent of boot leather. We usually crock pot them, Though I do like to cook them on a stick over the fire if we're out camping. This makes them tough too, but it's the thought that counts :)

beertrucker
November 5, 2000, 10:14 PM
Got a bunch of legs saved for deer season when we do a lot of canned venison. Just stick em in a jar and presure cook, Makes it's own gravy and tender and tasty as can be. Backs are pot roasted with lots of veggies. beertrucker-x

Dave McC
November 6, 2000, 07:01 AM
Quarter the squirrels and wet them, then dredge in flour. Brown in a frying pan in vegetable oil, then add water, beef stock, consomme or all of the above to cover. Add one small onion, a few carrots, a bay leaf, and a skosh of garlic, Simmer,not boil, until the meat can be pulled off the bones, and do so. Add some French cut green beans. Return the meat to the broth and add a little red wine and some sour cream just before serving. Or, make Bisquick dumplings using the directions on the box, and enjoy...

ArmySon
November 6, 2000, 11:34 AM
This is for one since I'm single :D

1 Squirrel
Salt and red pepper (to your liking)
3 tb Oil
2 ea Onions, large, chopped
3 ea Celery stalks, chopped
1 ea Garlic clove, chopped
1/4 ea Bell pepper, chopped
4 tb Parsley, chopped
2 cup Uncooked rice, washed
1 1/2 cup Water
2 tb Salt

Cut squirrel into serving pieces and season well. Saute in oil until brown; remove from skillet. Saute onions, celery, garlic, bell pepper and parsley in oil until wilted. Replace squirrel in skillet; cover and cook slowly about 20 minutes or until squirrel is tender. Add rice and water. Stir thoroughly. Add salt. Cook slowly about 30 minutes or until rice is cooked. You can brown the rice to give a distinctive look and taste to the jambalaya. This works pretty good with pheasant and rabbit too.

rr41mag
November 7, 2000, 06:32 AM
the wife fried them, then sat there and ate just about all of them. When she finished she asked "when are you going squirrel hunting again"? :D Guess I have plans for this friday now. My boy said "it tastes like chicken" imagine that :D

------------------
A son is the best friend you'll ever have!