PDA

View Full Version : Shaped charge from a 12 ga shotgun

Big-Foot
May 7, 2005, 10:16 PM
Add this one to the list of things ya just gotta shoot.

http://www.mcwl.quantico.usmc.mil/factsheets/FRAG%2012.pdf

Stiletto
May 7, 2005, 11:08 PM
I'd always been wondering why nobody fielded explosive slugs.

Imagine trying to deal with a squad of assault troops decked out in full armor and armed with HE rounds and USAS-12s.

Shock and awe, anyone?

hawken50
May 8, 2005, 01:46 AM
must.........have.........some..........

BillCA
May 8, 2005, 02:23 AM
Good gawd! Don't let this leak out to the Dem's -- Feinstein will wet her undies and then sponser a bill to outlaw "assault shotguns" that can fire this ammo.

p99guy
May 8, 2005, 02:28 AM
15 years ago there were civilian 12ga explosive slugs("blockbuster") put out by Power Plus enterprises and also the Blammo Ammo company(made by power plus)......it was a 465 grain shotgun slug with six tail fins, held one cublic inch of flash powder and a #209 shotgun primer in the nose.......I got to play with a whole bunch of them and sold them to local police deprtments.....in broad daylight it had about a 4ft diameter fireball when it went off on target! the slug exploding was just as loud as the shot that launched it. we found it would blow an honest fist size hole in one car door and fill the car with smoke/bust both tempered windows out......a coyote was shot by one and it completly removed a hind quarter(and scattered intestines) in demos we did , a fav was to shoot a .50cal ammo can......one shot would rip off the lid/bend it in a horse shoe shape and fling it 10 feet and flatten the rest of the can(big entry hole) and throw it 10 feet int the other direction. If sombody didnt see the shotgun that projectile came from
they never would have thought shotgun, as its effect was pure military looking, as in grenade launcher. damn those were fun :)

Johnny Guest
May 8, 2005, 07:32 AM
With all due respect, though, I believe this topic belongs in Shotguns Forum, so it is moved, leaving a re-direct.

Best,
Johnny

Wraith
May 8, 2005, 10:03 PM
1 inch hole in 1/4 inch plate? Meh, I've done better. ;)

UT_Air_Assault
May 9, 2005, 02:01 AM
P99: Does anyone still sell that type of Ammo or something similar? That would make a great, "Hey ya'll watch this!" thing for the Machine Gun shoots. :D

Also has anyone here actually played with some of these more exoctic ammo types out there (dragonbreath, etc.)?

Cowled_Wolfe
May 9, 2005, 06:20 AM
UT...

http://www.hi-vel.com/Catalog__17/Specialized_Shotshell_Ammuniti/specialized_shotshell_ammuniti.html

Go to that page, hit CTRL+F and search for "Payload"... I guess you've gotta come up with your own 'payload', but that can't be hard... As a guess, these are probably illegal once you've stuck the payload in so be careful.

Best of luck,
Wolfe.

Btw... Lemme know how they work out if you get some... :D

mikikanazawa
May 9, 2005, 10:54 PM
That would make a great, "Hey ya'll watch this!" thing for the Machine Gun shoots.

As Jeff Foxworthy says, "If you know anyone that's ever died after saying, 'Hey watch this!'," you know you're a redneck. ;-)

Back on topic, when I was in college for civil engineering, I took a course on using shaped charges for demolition (buildings, rocks, etc). Pretty amazing stuff. Working one into a shotgun load would be devilishly easy.