PDA

View Full Version : Clean & Lub with what?

pistolpete
May 3, 2005, 10:45 AM
Just wondering, what you guys use to clean and lub you semiautos with? I use hoppie 9 or Butch's to clean, then (some of you may think this is wrong, or funny) I use the same oil I put in my car to lub them(Amsoil 5w-30). Anyone do the same? Reasons not to do this? It seems to work fine. I have been doing it like this for ten years now.
Thanks, Pete

BillCnKC
May 3, 2005, 10:58 AM
pistolpete--

I use Mil-Comm TW-25B grease and Mil-Comm MC-2500 oil on my fifty caliber Desert Eagle and my Bushmaster Carbon 15 Type 97S Pistol. (Mil-Comm: Mil-Comm (http://www.milcomm.com/))

I use Eezox on my Colt M1991A1 .45, my two High Standard HD-Military pistols, and my old S&W Model 59 9mm. Eezox is phenomenal stuff. If they still have their "preservation" pictures up, be sure to look at them. (Eezox: Eezox (http://www.eezox.com/))

I use some kinda gun oil that came with a cleaning kit on my various other handguns.

--seal killer

Old Prussian
May 3, 2005, 11:23 AM
Break Free all the way!
Bore Cleaner, Powder Blaster and CLP

gudel
May 3, 2005, 11:28 AM
Break Free CLP and Sweets 7.62 for copper.

BUSTER51
May 3, 2005, 11:29 AM
Fp10

Trapp
May 3, 2005, 11:38 AM
Hoppes # 9 and wd-40 with a toothbrush to clean. WD-40 to lube........

Mark54g
May 3, 2005, 11:57 AM
be careful. WD-40 is less lubricant and more solvent. You might want something a bit slipperier

918sgt
May 3, 2005, 12:00 PM
WD 40 is a parrafin based lubricant and will, after time, tend to lock up parts when a gun is stored. Use M-Pro7 products for cleaning and lube. No problem---reliable.

Bullrock
May 3, 2005, 12:19 PM
I use soap and water to clean with a firm toothbrush. Lube with good old petroleum jelly...

signal4l
May 3, 2005, 12:23 PM
M Pro 7 works very well. It is non toxic and will keep your bore from rusting if you shoot corrosive ammo. I lube with KG gun oil or FP 10. The KG seems to stay put and remains slick even after a few range sessions.

Ala Dan
May 3, 2005, 12:40 PM
Another Break Free user checking in! :) Been using it for a number
of years with nairy a problem~ :D

Best Wishes,

Roger310
May 3, 2005, 01:59 PM
For cleaning I use M-Pro 7 with a brass brush and boresnake, followed by Shooters Choice Quick Scrub 3 to blow all the crap out. I lube with Shooters Choice FP-10 lube. I'm currently looking for a product that does the same as the quick scrub 3 but without the harsh odor.

Big Yac
May 3, 2005, 02:29 PM
I use Hoppes #9 to clean the gun and then RemOil to lube the gun. RemOil is the greatest, just spray a light coat on and let it set up for a few minutes before reassembly.

A friend of mine uses a cleaning solution called Ed's Red, and its seems to work fine, his guns are always nice and clean and rust free. You can make your own by mixing up equal parts of Acetone, Kerosene, Mineral spirits, ATF Dexron II, and up to 1# os Lanolin.

Kerosene is a good gun cleaner too infact Hoppes #9 contains kerosene.

mightymo
May 3, 2005, 02:56 PM
Does anyone use Prolix ( http://www.prolixlubricant.com/ ) I bought a bottle but didn't have a chance to use it. For those that use it post. For those that don't go to the site and read about it and tell me what you think.

UziAnnie
May 3, 2005, 04:48 PM
Just used Break Free for the first time---LOVE it!!!! Guns never looked or worked better.

Trapp
May 3, 2005, 05:36 PM
My Pops used it for years and his guns still shoot well......As far as storing guns....The longest they get "stored" for is about 2 weeks (and my collection is up to 15 or so"

Edward429451
May 3, 2005, 06:24 PM
I had a bad experiance with WD-40 on an early Para-Ord hi-cap frame conversion. Pulled the grips and hosed it down one night figuring to clean it tomorrow night...it attacked the finish. They nicely warrantied the frame, and WD hasn't been near any of my guns since.

I use Hoppes to clean with or at least start with it and finish up with Breakfree and lube with BF also, most of them.

I still clean with Simple Green sometimes if their super cruddy or if I have a lot to clean. Then a blow dry & wipe & oil cure.

Tom2
May 3, 2005, 07:36 PM
For years I have used EEZOX to protect the guns and something else to lube in high stress areas. Eezox works well on parkerised or matte guns especially, in my estimation. Might look a little streaky on highly polished guns unlike a silicone cloth, but probably protects better. It is a good bore protector that does not require swabbing out as most of it evaporates. On working parts of the gun I used to always use Breakfree, but now have started to use FP 10. I think maybe in extended storage that Breakfree clings better and does not dry out or run off as easily. But it separates in the bottle from storage. I would use it if it was all I had.

Tom2
May 3, 2005, 07:40 PM
I have been useing the GI bore cleaner that comes in the little green plastic bottles for a long time. It is usually VN surp, and sells at gun shows for 50 cents or a dollar a bottle. Seems to do a real good job. I have Hoppes and also have some other "elite" cleaners for hard cases, but the GI stuff works great for everyday cleaning on non corr. ammo residue. I hoard the stuff in case it disappears on the market.

jonathon
May 3, 2005, 08:11 PM
Mobil 1 and Hoppes :D

stevelyn
May 3, 2005, 09:30 PM
MPro-7 for cleaning. Break-Free CLP or LP for lubing and rust prevention. Brownell's Action Lube Plus for things that get grease. I currently use Tetra copper remover when necessary, but switching to Sweet's when it runs out.
Been experimenting with BullFrog Lube and Rust preventive for rust prevention on exterior surfaces. So far, so good. The test is on our issue shotguns that are kept in the vehicles.

topspin43
May 3, 2005, 09:49 PM
Hoppes for the bore... WD-40 to clean moving parts and Breakfree CLP to lube

T WARD
May 4, 2005, 12:46 AM
After you get your bore as clean as you possibly can, use "JB bore cleaner" from Brownells and get the rest of the crud out. I didn't believe it till I tried it.
I like "Wilsons" oil for the rails and "Rem-oil" spray for the outside surface.

ulflyer
May 4, 2005, 06:38 AM
What you clean your guns with is sorta like what oil is best for your car. One is about a good as another. FWIW, I use #9 on bores, carb spray cleaner and toothbrush for crud, G96 (smells good) or Remoil for overall wipe down and bore, touch of Amsoil on the rails of my 1911's.

sageowl
May 5, 2005, 07:23 AM
Break Free CLP on everything.

Hoppes # 9 is good as well, but I don't use it anymore. Only other one that comes to mind at the moment is EEZOX - I can't stand this stuff, it's way too messy and muffs up my guns finishes.

tanto
May 5, 2005, 07:55 AM
I am currently trying Finish Line's Krytech, which is a bicycle chain dry lubricant with DuPont krytox inside.
I used the gun last time a couple of months ago two months after lubrication, and didn't lubricate it after shooting.
I'm trying to see if this dry lubricant can keep the gun in perfect working order even after years of storage.
The idea is that the dry lubricant (basically wax and krytox, I believe) will maintain it's characteristics for a long time, won't dry out in other words.
The gun shoots well, but being a Beretta I doubt any lubricant would make a noticeable difference.
Rust protection is not a significant issue for me as I don't carry it.

luvtoshoot
May 6, 2005, 03:41 PM
Outers foaming bore cleaner and powder blaster work wonders I also use Outer’s solvent and Remington gun oil in a can. I found the hard way that some solvent maybe all will mess up the finish on some guns. :mad:
once you go foam you will nevere go back to scrubbing that barrel.

Bullrock
May 6, 2005, 05:31 PM
Once a month I gather up all my auto's, lock the slides open, and put them in the dishwasher. I use a commercial detergent with a very hot setting, and extra time on drying.

When they come out of the dishwasher I oil them up with bagbaum. It has kind of a unusual oder, but I like the smell, and it keeps the blackflies away.

My wheelguns have a tendency to break the shelves in the dishwasher so I clean them in the sink using the same formula, and air dry.

tINY
May 6, 2005, 05:40 PM
I have had good resuls with the Tetra Gun products. I usually give a gun a good buffing with it every third cleaning. Guns clean easily and look good.

The grease they make it the best I have used on slide interfaces.

-tINY

BatmanX
May 6, 2005, 05:43 PM
In another set of posts, I mentioned that I use Hoppes and Break Free.
But what do you wipe the gun itself down with?

Do you use the Break Free all over?
Or just wipe down with dry cloth after you are done cleaning?

I notice a lot of guns at gun shows have a film on them (not the manufacturer film) when I pick them up. It just appears to be gun oil.

Russ5924
May 6, 2005, 05:54 PM
Pro-shot one step cleaner and lub got to love the stuff.Use it on your barrel brush to clean the barrel and chambers use a spray bottle to spray down the outside leave sit 5 min clean out your barrel and wipe down gun.Even takes those carbon ridges out that get in your chambers when shooting shorter cases.You can take a very dirty SS almost black and will clean up like new :D I did at one time use Breakfree but cleaned two of my 10-22 and they set about a month it gummed up the actions on both of them.

jonathon
May 6, 2005, 05:54 PM
Whatever is handy if I am not storing the gun for a while without oiling it(which I've only done once, for that I just used either Outers or Hoppes gun oil), usually just the hoppes since I have a lot of it(5 or 6 bottles still..).

I'm a believer in stainless guns, except for ring around teh cylinder :barf:

Bullrock
May 6, 2005, 06:06 PM
Hey! I'm going to answer your e-mail, I'm just in a transitional situation for the next few days... :)

After cleaning & lubing I usually wipe my weapon down with an old white cotton T shirt. Then I buff it with a silicone cloth. WallyWorld has them, Mossy Oak Brand Camo, Gun & Reel, Silicone Cloth for a few bucks.

It works well for me!!! :D

Lieut96
May 6, 2005, 06:40 PM
I use Blue Wonder gun cleaner and lube with Miltec both are great products better than anything else I have used. :)

Moe Mentum
May 6, 2005, 07:10 PM
Blue Wonder, and CLP

DanV1317
May 7, 2005, 05:29 AM
iosso bore cleaner
Balistol lube

N.H. Yankee
May 7, 2005, 07:00 AM
I found out the hard way WD40 turns to shellack after awhile. I use FP10 and kroil for my guns in the bore and outside. I use tetra gun lube for the rails and bushing and other points. I use hoppes for regular bore solvent unless I have a bore that is really copper fouled than I use Tetra gun solvent.

Hello123
February 15, 2006, 07:55 PM
It seemed like break free powder blaster discolored my syn. stock. Happen to anyone else?

choochboost
February 15, 2006, 09:09 PM
MPro7 to clean, Break Free CLP to lube.

mitchcoyote
February 16, 2006, 12:16 AM
Lps

HangFire83
February 16, 2006, 08:05 AM
After the range I use Hoppes No.9 and some remington oil wipes to get it clean. If I plan to store the gun for a while I will use Butch's since it seems to take less passes to clean as well as hoppes, though it is more expensive. I use the rem-oil wipes for the exterior and I also have a spray can for those hard to reach places.

CajunBass
February 16, 2006, 08:24 AM
I use Hoppes no 9, some stuff called "gun oil" or Break Free.

On the finish I use silicon spay. Keeps away the rust, dust, and fingerprints.

WD-40 will do all the above in a pinch.

Sport45
February 16, 2006, 11:22 AM
I use soap and water to clean with a firm toothbrush. Lube with good old petroleum jelly...

Ouch!! Is that for your gun or for your firearm?

Sport45
February 16, 2006, 11:29 AM
I clean with Shooter's Choice or Ed's Red. Lube mostly with Breakfree CLP, but I also use Lithium grease (Garands), Moly grease (Autoloader rails), and ATF. After cleaning a revolver with Ed's Red I usually don't have to lube as there is enough residual ATF to do the trick.

Fremmer
February 16, 2006, 12:01 PM
Clean with Hoppe's No. 9, and oil with Hoppe's oil. Yeah, I know, I don't use very modern stuff. But it works well, prevents rust, and doesn't mess up a finish.

I recently purchased a couple cans of Kroil. I'm going to try using that; I've heard good things about it. We'll see how it goes.

govteach
February 16, 2006, 06:36 PM
Clean with Hoppe's, lube with Miltec-1

gunmetal
February 16, 2006, 07:29 PM
I've been using Hoppes #9 to clean pretty much everything. Then I'll leave a film of Outers Gun Oil in the bore and the outer surface of the barrel.

When I run out of the Outers stuff I'll probably replace it with my BF CLP.

For the slide rails and slide/hammer interface I'll use Wilson Combat Grease or wheel bearing grease.

I like to use RemOil on the trigger bar because it's typically a very tight space and RemOil is thin enough that it can easily creep into there.

I did mix up a batch of Ed's Red, and when my Hoppes runs out I'll probably use this instead (cheaper and I don't feel like I have to conserve every drop). I left out the acetone though because of the warnings about ventilation (I usually clean in my living room) and its effects on plastics.

Sport45, do you find that the acetone in Ed's Red causes any noticeable melting/damage to plastic parts? (Or do you just use it on all-metal parts?) Also, is the odor too strong for indoor cleaning (central A/C here so the circulation is decent, although not a wind tunnel)?

stangfan93
February 16, 2006, 08:51 PM
i tend to use different bore cleaning products on my guns. bad habit. i know. i usually buy something that catches my attention. I have Hoppe 9, Break Free CLP and some otis cleaner. When it comes to actually scrubbing and using patches i only use otis products. as far as oil goes i use miltitec-1 on all my guns. Works great! although i tend to be a little heavy with the oil. again bad habit. after shooting it will leak out.

any one use that gun scrubber spray? i did on my norinco 1911 and when spraying down the barrel the link and pin fell out. when i used it i was on my patio of my apartment the pin almost rolled off! thank God for quick reflexes.

Sport45
February 17, 2006, 10:40 AM
Sport45, do you find that the acetone in Ed's Red causes any noticeable melting/damage to plastic parts? (Or do you just use it on all-metal parts?) Also, is the odor too strong for indoor cleaning (central A/C here so the circulation is decent, although not a wind tunnel)?

I use the acetone. My mix is 25% ATF, 50% mineral spirits (paint thinner), and 25% acetone. I start with the thickest stuff and by the time I finish pouring in the acetone my funnel is clean. I clean at the kitchen table and the fumes aren't bad. My acetone is just nail polish remover. If the ladies can use the stuff full-strength locked up in a bathroom I figure I ought to be able to use a 25% solution in my kitchen.

I've used it on everything I have. I avoid contact with wooden parts, but have noticed no ill effect to plastic grips and other non-metal parts such as the polymer gripframe on my 22/45. It will take the finish off wooden stocks and grips if you leave it on very long. A drop here and there quickly wiped up doesn't seem to harm things. None of my wood is what you'd call presentation grade, so I don't worry a lot about that anyway.

I've found it stores and dispenses acceptably well in small quantities in a yellow mustard squeeze bottle. Larger quantities are stored in an old camp fuel can. (But I've been eyeing my son's RC truck fuel bottle.)

gunmetal
February 17, 2006, 11:45 AM
Sport45, thanks for the reply. I store mine in a 1-gal paint can I bought empty from Home Depot for about $3.50. Then I poured about 12oz. or so of it into an old Planters sunflower seed glass jar with a screw-on, silicone-gasket top.

I think I'll put the acetone in, and mix another batch without it for use near wood (even though my stuff's nothing to look at, I'd just feel better that way).

I like the mustard bottle idea, that sounds ideal for dispensing. (As long as it's not made of HDPE.)

Btw, I got my acetone from Wal-Mart, they had it in 1-qt. cans for something like 4 or 6 bucks. It was in the paint section.

Thanks again.

WRINCHSLINGER001
February 20, 2006, 10:16 PM
Everyone call me ignorant but I have no idea what break free is, and where to buy break free. And whats the difference between lp, and clp?

gunmetal
February 21, 2006, 01:24 PM
CLP == Cleaner, Lubricant, Protectant

BF CLP == BreakFree CLP

www.midwayusa.com
www.cheaperthandirt.com

Magyar
February 21, 2006, 01:44 PM
For bores: Left 2: Lube rails & other points...10 X 30 Synthetic...Yes, Break Free is a lube also; but prefer it as a cleaner & preservative...
http://i1.tinypic.com/o8xbh0.jpg

Average Joe
February 21, 2006, 02:09 PM
Blue Wonder to clean, and Breakfree CLP to lube.

PanamaDave
February 22, 2006, 01:15 AM
Hoppes #9, Simple Green, and Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic...

Eghad
February 22, 2006, 01:18 AM
Break Free Guy CLP.. at the moment I am looking into some other products that tend to stay where you put them.

However on stuff like my M1 Garand and M1A use some grease in additon to the CLP.

choochboost
February 22, 2006, 02:18 AM
I am looking into some other products that tend to stay where you put them.
I've heard great things about Slide Glide. Its a product that was developed by Brian Enos. I haven't used it yet, but I'm definitely going to try it out.

Sport45
February 24, 2006, 06:52 PM
I like the mustard bottle idea, that sounds ideal for dispensing. (As long as it's not made of HDPE.)

My mustard bottle is marked LDPE and lasted a couple of years. When I made this last batch I put a pint of it in the acetone bottle (HDPE) and 3 pints in a RC Racing fuel jug (HDPE). I used the acetone bottle to refill an empty 2oz Shooter's Choice bottle that had that has a dropper top.

I wouldn't sweat the HDPE thing. If acetone comes in a HDPE bottle and nitro RC fuel comes in HDPE I don't think there's anything in Ed's Red that will hurt HDPE.

Added on edit: I've searched chemical compatability for HDPE and acetone is definately not recommended. The best rating I could find is "fair". My "100% Pure Acetone" nail polish remover definately came in a HDPE bottle. I don't think it would be cost effective for a manuafcturer to internally coat a plastic bottle so the HDPE must hold acetone for a while. This bottle had been setting on my garage shelf for over a year 1/2 full of acetone.

HiPowering Along
August 8, 2006, 06:06 PM
I've heard great things about Slide Glide. Its a product that was developed by Brian Enos. I haven't used it yet, but I'm definitely going to try it out.

Yea, I know the thread's old, but didn't want to start another thread....

coochboost - I've tried the Slide Glide (got a sample tin when I got my 650), and it's a nice product - makes the gun a PITA to clean, tho... Smoothed out the action - gun cycled beautifully.

The gent who did the trigger job on the Browning saw the stuff and immediately disassembled it, wiped it out, and threw some BF CLP on it. Mentioned tho the Slide-Glide does 'stay in place', it also sucks up all kinds of contaminants and actually increases the wear, in his most humble and educated opinion.

Seeing as how I would take most of what he said to heart (years, decades more experience with guns than I have, no contest!), I've stopped using it and use the BF CLP and Hoppes...

kymasabe
August 8, 2006, 06:39 PM
Hoppes or Shooters Choice to clean, then lube with Rem oil and I use SlideGlide Lite on the slides of my autos.

Ammo Junky
August 8, 2006, 08:17 PM
Hopes, then sweets for the bore then hopes agian then oil then a dry patch and mop out the chamber. Mobil 1 10-30 syn to lube. I am happier with m1 than any gun oil. :)

EIGHTYDUECE
August 8, 2006, 08:20 PM
I use Hoppes #9 oil (not the solvent) for the entire cleaning. I will use Hoppes #9 solvent (occasionally) in the barrel to get at the copper and lead buildup but that is it pretty much.

wingman
August 8, 2006, 10:12 PM
After 40 years of cleaning I use only FP10.

packa45
August 8, 2006, 10:34 PM
Hoppes' #9 for bore, Break Free CLP to clean and lube, Silicon Cloth for wipe downs periodically, and Brian Eno's Slide Glide Lite on moving parts. It's best to use the Lite variety sparingly at first then increase the amount once you see what works best. This is the recommendation for all carry weapons. Stuff is amazing.

Redneck with a 40
August 9, 2006, 12:02 AM
I use Hoppe's #9 for cleaning, then I lube with breakfree CLP. This combo has been working great for me.

Topthis
August 12, 2006, 10:37 PM
I was using Gunscrubber to clean my guns then Break LP. BUT after reading all the posts about Breakfree CLP, I went and bought a can of the spray. I just cleaned my guns using the stuff...ugh! While it seems to work, it gets all over the friggin place and seems to leave an endless supply of CLP all over the guns...after I wipe em down, the stuff appears again!!! I did not think that I used all that much to clean with!! Although it could be the Lubrication aspect of the stuff. I am used to only lubing certain areas of my guns.

choochboost
August 13, 2006, 01:57 AM
I use BF CLP to lube, not clean, and I don't use the spray because I don't want to deal with what you just described.

ride-a-aug
August 13, 2006, 08:22 AM
After cleaning I use Renaissance wax polish for the finish .

bg226
August 13, 2006, 11:24 AM
Sewing Machine Oil.

I use it to clean and lubricate.

fairview mick
August 13, 2006, 01:45 PM
Some one on this site directed me to "WIPE OUT"
It's a foam that is sprayed into the bore. Let it sit and then run a tight patch through it. it's amazing what comes out after you think it's clean.
Mickey

kenneth owens
August 14, 2006, 03:50 PM
some ole no.9 and friction defense from brownells good stuff!!!
you guys need to give this lube a try(friction defense)

gonzo53
August 14, 2006, 03:58 PM
I have tried most of the products mentioned at one time or another. I just received some Slip 2000 gun cleaner. Since it strips all lubrication from metal surfaces, I was particularly careful about where I applied the Slip. My Beretta 92 Inox Brig and HK USP 9c look great. Cleaning was a snap. I used Militec to lube the guns after cleaning. Seems like good stuff.

OBIWAN
August 14, 2006, 09:39 PM
Slip2000...

WORKS GREAT...

AND NON-TOXIC

Sorry...didn't mean to yell

Squiggy
August 14, 2006, 10:42 PM
To me Militec-1 seems to crawl like crazy, which wouldn't be that bad if it also stayed where I want it to. It does fine on bare metal, but doesn't stay put on my HK's Hostile Environment barrel finish.

I use Mpro7 cleaner to clean. I use Mpro7 CLP to lube med. to light friction areas. I use either MadDog Labs XF7 grease or Brownell's Action Lube Plus on high friction areas. I wipe down the exterior when done with a Marine Tuf-Cloth. I try to limit my exposure to toxic chemicals as much as possible and everything I use is non-toxic except for the Action Lube Plus (which I'm replacing with XF7 grease) and the Marine Tuf-Cloth which contains mineral spirits. The Mpro7 products and the XF7 work better than anything else I've ever used.

webbee
August 14, 2006, 11:21 PM
I use EEZOX and that's it.

orionengnr
August 15, 2006, 10:11 PM
another big thumbs up for EEZOX.

Cleans, lubes, protects. Smells great.

Blue, stainless, polymer, wood...it's all good. :)