PDA

View Full Version : Reliable Ammo

StrikeEagle
May 1, 2005, 10:07 AM
Hello!

Years ago, Remington JHP ammunition was the one to get if you wanted high performance rounds that were pretty darned certain to function in any pistol that was reliable with ball ammo. I guess they didn't really expand, but they would cycle properly.

My question is this: What ammunition has the best reputation for reliability (chambering, extracting, ejecting) today in .45 ACP and 9mm?

I realize that whatever I decide on will have to be tested in my gun. But the stuff is so expensive that it would be helpful if you could point me in the right direction.

many thanks,
StrikeEagle

gudel
May 1, 2005, 12:51 PM
My question is this: What ammunition has the best reputation for reliability (chambering, extracting, ejecting) today in .45 ACP and 9mm?

My USP45 works well with Remington JHP (Golden Saber). The USP also works well with other ammo like Winchester, CCI Blazer, CCI Brass Blazer, Independence Ammo, Magtech, UMC, Fiocchi, S&B, PMC, Federal, even Wolf.
This is not just one USP45, make it two USP45s.
Some say try different ammo if your gun doesn't work on a particular brand. I say try a different gun :p

Padawan
May 1, 2005, 01:03 PM
I don't have a ton of experience with different ammo, but I recently began using the Winchester Value Pack 115 gr. FMJ 9mm at the range, and I've never had a single problem with it. It also seems to be relatively "clean" as well as fairly accurate, so for the price (about $11 per 100), I'm quite impressed.

45 Fu
May 1, 2005, 01:43 PM
A lot depends on what kind of pistol you are shooting it from. Most modern autos will feed most JHPs, some better than others. I had a Springfield 1911-A1 that would not function with Hydra Shoks but would run all day with anything else.

In .45 I have had the best luck with SXTs, Golden Saber, and Silver Tip - all in 230 gr. The 230 gr. Hydra Shok is also good, I just had trouble with it in one pistol.

In 9mm, anything that has a profile more like ball seems to work best. SXTs are close, for example. The truncated rounds tend to hang up most of all, but (depending on the pistol) still work well.

If you have a pistol that was built for JHPs then you should be able to find one that works well for it.

Mark54g
May 1, 2005, 01:53 PM
I think this is exactly what CorBon Pow'rBall was supposed to do. I think they expand well but don't penetrate as well as other rounds. Personally, I don't need 14" of penetration in gel to tell me it will probably stop someone. However, fire several types in your gun and find out what is reliable and what you like. A lot on here seem to like Gold Dot, Golden Sabers, etc. Any of the higher performance self defense ammo should be good if you put it where it needs to be.

sageowl
May 1, 2005, 04:25 PM
You might look into what law enforcement agencies are carrying, and try those in your gun. My department carries .357SIG Gold Dots, but that doesn't really answer your quesiton. In .45 I carry 185gr Federal HydraShoks that have been 100% reliable thus far. 9mm I've taken to CorBon 115gr +P JHPs, but I've heard of problems with some CorBons feeding in some guns due to bullet mouth size. Make sure you cycle your ammo to avoid duds. We dump our carry ammo every time we go to the range, just to be safe. No ammo that's been laying around for more than a couple years, and so on.

Dre_sa
May 1, 2005, 04:43 PM
on a recent trip to the local news agent i came across a guns and ammo.
there was an articl about some new carry round by federal (i think). they called it the Expanding Full Metal Jacket. its just a flat nose fmj with a rubber core so it can expand. reliabiltiy was exceptional.

Bullrock
May 1, 2005, 04:54 PM
I'm of no help on .45Cal. Most of my auto's are 9mm. You asked about hi-performance ammo. I don't consider 115GR FMJ to be hi-performace, but I use it allot, and have never had a problem with Winchester 115GR in FMJ or JHP.

I also have not had a problem with Winchester USA 147GR JHP. I shoot it quite often in my USP C, PT-92, CZ 75B, CZ P01, and Browning Pro-9.

For carry, and HD I use Winchester Supreme, 147GR. SXT (JHP) I have seen a couple of these dug out of a tree, and believe me, they do penetrate and expand. Because of cost I don't plink with the SXT's, but I do clean out my mags on my nighttime HD gun, 36 rounds, including the extra mag every month or so. Ditto my carry, 30 rounds

I have also found Remington Gold Saber 9mm, 124GR, JHP to be 100% reliable. Can't comment beyond that, because when I find something good I usually stay with it. :)

Good luck in your decision.

Dogjaw
May 1, 2005, 05:13 PM
The Federal EFMJ is supposedly extremely speed dependent, and has a small velocity window for performance. The best rated 9mm self defense ammo I've read about are Golden Saber, Gold Dot, Black Hills (uses Gold Dot bullets), Ranger. I use Gold Dot 124+p in my 3" XD9 sub, shooting over 500 rounds without incident, testing for self defense ammo. Black Hills is cheaper than Speer, so I'm going to swith to it.

pistolpete
May 1, 2005, 05:18 PM
Speer Gold Dot 124gr is what I have found to work best in my 9mm Glock and CZ. I have not but plan to try the +P in this ammo.

Mark54g
May 1, 2005, 07:14 PM
Someone tell me they have tried Pow'rball. It looks really good in concept but the jury seems out on this one. I am still waiting for my purchase permits but after I get my first gun, I plan on getting a 9mm and then a .45 after (saving up is going to seriously cut into my computer upgrades)

Glock19Fan
May 1, 2005, 08:35 PM
I only have experience with Winchester 127 +P+ and 147 grain Ranger T, Speer 147 grain Gold Dots, Winchesters 147 gran USA JHP, and Black Hills 124 +P Gold Dots. All functioned flawlessly in my Glock 19.

I prefer the 147 grain Ranger T, but since I only have the "Not for LEO" stuff, I keep Winchester 147 grain USA JHP in my Glock 19. In the testing ive seen for it it does well through barriers including 4 layer denim so im pretty confident in the bullet.