PDA

View Full Version : 10mm autos for hunting deer?

Solitar
September 4, 2000, 03:58 PM
Since the REAL 10mm autos are up in the same class as 357 magnums (600+ftlbs), does anyone know if long-barreled 10mm autos are permitted for hunting deer (200 to 400 lbs as found in the mid to northern states)? What is the longest barreled 10mm?

I'd thi nk that a hot 10mm load out of a 6" barrel could deliver 550 ft lbs at 50 yards which is the minimum requirement in Colorado (which also requires at least a 4" barrel). I've heard that Glock makes a 6 inch hunting barrel for the Model 20 and Cor-bon offer s a 10mm 180gr BondedCore SP at 1300fps/676ft/lbs http://www.cor-bon.com/huntammo.html

[This message has been edited by Solitar (edited September 04, 2000).]

Robert the41MagFan
September 5, 2000, 12:52 AM
Will 10mm harvest deer? Yes! Large deer? Yes! The ammunition you described would pass the test. Barely! Don't know anything about automatics for hunting. Guess they would work in a pinch. A wheel gun is a gentlemen's firearm for handgun hunting. Gentlemen don't use AR's for rifle hunting, don't use pistol grip shotguns for birds, no crossbows during archery season and see no reason what so ever to use a semi automatic pistol to handgun hunt.

Ten is a good cartridge for hunting deer. I've got the gun and loads ready to go! This is my gun, this is my ammunition for the entire season. If I use more than three round from this moon clip this season, I have no business hunting with a handgun.

http://www.teleport.com/~ralfonso/S&W610classic.JPG

Robert

patrickt66
September 5, 2000, 07:29 AM
Robert, I agree with you about the 10 mm's capabilities and the fact that revolvers are better suited to hunting than pistols but, GET OVER YOURSELF! I use my Beretta 1201 FP for bird hunting, does that make me any less of a "gentleman"? NO, It's just the only shotgun I have. I am not the only one in this type of situation. If you are proficient with your equipment, obey local laws, and can make a clean kill, I don't care if what you use for hunting. Neither should you.

------------------
Think!

Art Eatman
September 5, 2000, 07:47 AM
If you have the skill to stalk close. Or if you have the patience to wait for a volunteer-deer to walk close to your stand. And if you have the skill to make that near-perfect shot.

It'll work.

"Well, if everything goes right..." is wonderful, if Mr. Murphy stays home.

In other words, do everything *except* actually pull the trigger--unless you've done perfect "prep work".

Success when you push yourself to a higher level is always rewarding.

:), Art