PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Length question for AR-15 Pistol caliber uppers

Greywolf
April 19, 2005, 04:05 PM
I have the SBR forms approved, and am now ready to get the 9mm AR upp and .45 AR Upper cut down for eventual suppressors.

9mm - what barrel length? I was thinking of 8"-10" - have read a lot, but no one seems to have THE answer - will be shooting 147 grain subsonic almost exclusively through a suppressor.

45 - Looks like 7"-9" again may be the best bet. Again, will use subsonic (duh) and mostly through a suppressor.

Any ideas, guys? I want to optimize my accuracy and fps, but given my subsonic parameters and suppressor use I want the barrel as short as reasonably possible to get the ballistics performance I want.

fanoblack
April 19, 2005, 05:57 PM
I have read that some Mfg of suppressors will not honor the warranty if it is fired on a bbl shorter than 11.5 or 10.5 I can't remember for certain.

This is relevant to the 5.56 uppers, I know realize after rereading your post that you didn't discuss anything but 9mm and .45. What are you looking for ballistics wise, most full sized pistols only have a 4-5 inch barrel, so are you wanting better than that or equal?

What suppressor do you have and how long is it? (if you don't mind me asking)

fanoblack

Greywolf
April 19, 2005, 07:47 PM
Basically, I want to get the most burn out of the powder before the extra barrel length starts to drag the bullet down again. Most of my research is spotty - seems Colt has the length at 10.5" for their 9mm Carbines. But if I can shave off another inch or two and still maintain the velocity/powder burn I'm looking to get, that would be ideal. The shorter the barrel, the better :D

fanoblack
April 19, 2005, 10:22 PM
This (http://isntapundit.com/?date=20030925) is just one site I found, but it says that the 9mm round will start to slow down due to barrel friction after 10-12 inches.(varies on 115-148gr.)

So I would say something in the order of 10 inches would do fine.

fanoblack

shaggy
April 20, 2005, 09:17 AM
Greywolf - I can't help you with exact numbers for velocity loss at those lengths, but I think the 10.5" 9mm is optimal. That said, I don't think you lose much velocity going back to about 7.5". I've had both Colt 635 and 633 SMG uppers and I prefer the shorter 633 (the 635 was 10.5", the 633/DOE gun had the 7.5" barrel w/M231 handguards & flip-up front sight). If you plan on adding a can, I'd definitely go with the 7.5" - the 3" barrel length you save on the front will help keep the overall length with the can down. Remember, most 9mm cans are about 6"; add that on top of a 10.5" barrel and you're past where you'd be with a 16" carbine.

Greywolf
April 20, 2005, 03:55 PM
I guess I'm just wondering if when I am shooting it without the can with a 7.5" barrel, am I hurting myself in a big way vs. getting a 9" barrel? Though again, I think for the most part I'll be sticking with the suppressor most of the time.

shaggy
April 20, 2005, 04:10 PM
I really don't think you'll lose that much velocity by cutting back even 3" from a 10.5 to a 7.5. Just a rough guess but maybe 100-200fps total? The importnt thing is that a 9mm isn't as reliant on velocity as a 5.56 to do its damage. I've had short 5.56 uppers but won't go below a 14.5" anymore because of the velocity loss. With 9mm, however, even a 7.5" barrel is going to do as much, if not more, than a 9mm pistol. Just consider a Beretta M9 has what - a 5" barrel? An M11 has a 5-6" barrel. How long a barrel does an MP5k have; 7" or 8"? Even the 9mm Colt 633 guns have a 7.5" barrel and from what I understand those were built for nuclear security personnel via the Dept. of Energy.