PDA

View Full Version : do you have a bolt buffer on your 10/22?

utaherrn
April 15, 2005, 10:11 PM
is it worth it or just a gimmick?
I've got 3 Ruger 10/22s and am thinking about ordering some. I've read about them, but it sounds like a lot of hype on some websites and maybe a solution to a non-existent problem.
If you've put one in your 10/22 (I know it's only $10 or so), is it worth it?
Which maker/where did you buy it from? etc. Good and bad experiences.
Thanks

XavierBreath
April 15, 2005, 10:15 PM
I use them and like them. Some say that they make life a bit easier for the scope, and I suppose that is true, but the main reason I like them is the way they feel when you shoot the rifle. It just seems a lot smoother.

Edited to add: I think I got mine from Dakotan.

IronLance
April 15, 2005, 10:41 PM
I use the buffers in my 10-22, my SAR-2, Mini-14, and my 1911. All are Buffer Technologies items purchased through local gun shops. I have heard wonderful things about Blackjack Buffers (http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=65&products_id=183), as well.

Perhaps on the 10-22 it is overkill, but for $10 it seems like cheap insurance against wear and tear to me, especially if you shoot the rifle quite a bit.

HTH

Wayde

jonathon
April 15, 2005, 11:19 PM
Nope, don't plan to in all honesty either. I like how my gun feels and my scope is still alive, I still shoot good groups(only accuracy problems are user error ;)).

I guess if you put several hundred thousand rounds through the guns, there might be a difference in the wear produce, but all I've seemed to notice wear wise on my gun is the blueing :D

JohnKSa
April 16, 2005, 12:52 AM
The IDEA is sound, but I don't know if there's really enough force on the original pin to cause any problems. I can't remember ever hearing of anyone having problems with the receiver holes getting out of round or bending that pin.

Still, I've got one in my 10/22 just because it doesn't hurt anything and I like the idea that it MIGHT help. ;)

smince
April 16, 2005, 03:10 PM
I built a heavy-barrel 10/22. I put all the trick items on mine, so I figured I might as well put the buffer in. I can't tell it has made a difference. Based on stories from Gunsite and Thunder Ranch, I wouldn't put one in a serious defensive weapon, though. Been known to come apart and jam up the weapon at a bad time. Maybe use them during practice, and take them out when I clean the gun.

cntryboy1289
April 16, 2005, 07:19 PM
I have had many 10/22's brought in that have had the trigger group holes battered rearward. The biggest reason to buy a buffer is that it helps quieten the gun by reducing the clank you get when the bolt hits the pin. The pin does take a lick and over time it will bend on you. This occurs more often when using a hotter round such as the CCI green and so forth. Should this be a problem for most guns? Plain and simple answer is NO! If you shoot a brick or two a month then you or most likely to find on day the the pin won't push out as easily as it once did. When this happens, look at ruger22.com. He sells the yellowjacket buffers at 3/$9. I put them in when they need to be or when the customer requests one. They will help the gun shoot quieter as well as save a cheap scope from the beating it normally takes from the bolt striking the pin. A good scope shouldn't be bother by this. I am not sure where folks got that it makes the gun more accurate unless it made a bad scope shoot better by buffering the clank of the bolt.

Picher
April 16, 2005, 08:50 PM
Yes, I made one from a plastic bolt bought at the hardware store. Bought it for about 75 cents and it's been going strong for over a year. Bought the longest bolt I could find and used the unthreaded portion.'

John

Gewehr98
April 16, 2005, 09:04 PM
My FrankenRuger had seen lots of hard use. In fact, the continued pounding of the bolt against the bolt stop pin had peened out the pin holes in the receiver, making them egg-shaped, so that the original pin would very easily fall out of the receiver when out of the stock.

I bought the 10/22 buffer style that has a metal core with the polyurethane outer layer. It does a great job in softening the feel and sound of the bolt's rearward "smack", and there's a quite visible change in the scope crosshair jump between the old pin and new bolt buffer pin.

April 16, 2005, 11:33 PM
Absolutely.
"The biggest reason to buy a buffer is that it helps quieten the gun by reducing the clank you get when the bolt hits the pin. "
That pretty much sums it up. When you are using a modern suppressor, the action noise is one of the major sources of noise: the bolt buffer cuts down that action noise and makes the whole thing all the more quiet.

CopeLC
April 17, 2005, 07:42 AM
I like my Buffertech. It doesn't fall out all the time like the metal one did. I guess the only reason why I keep it in there is because I lost the old metal one while performing some emergency surgery while in the field. BTW, the right diameter stick will work temporarily.

Zekewolf
April 17, 2005, 11:35 AM
What's the difference in the Buffertech and Volquartsen buffers?

Russ5924
April 17, 2005, 04:20 PM
I thought the biggest reason of the Buffer was to stop the Alum.receiver from wearing around the Buffer.If you don't shoot a lot should make no difference.Have scopes on all mine with no problems.

Moe Mentum
April 17, 2005, 09:48 PM
The only reason I use one is because I could not keep my scope on center. If I was using just iron sights, there would be no reason to use one.