PDA

View Full Version : Cz 22 Hornet

PAHOGHUNTER
April 10, 2005, 10:11 AM
I read that CZ rifles have controlled feed, does anyone if that includes the 22 HORNET?

Lawyer Daggit
April 10, 2005, 06:12 PM
It should do, my CZ carbine is available in Hornet,.223 and 7.62x39- same gun.

DR_MAX
April 13, 2005, 05:51 PM
Is that the 527? I would like to know if this is a desireable gun. I just got in a CZ 550 Safari in 416 Rigby. Tell you the truth, I wasn't expecting much for the price; but when I got it out of the box and looked at it, I couldn't believe my eyes. This has got to be one of the most beautiful rifles I have ever seen.
The wood, checkering, metal surfaces, etc. are absolutely gorgeous - so I'm definitely interested in getting more of their stuff if this is in any way representative.

PAHOGHUNTER
April 28, 2005, 08:40 PM
It is a 527 American, really nice gun but I am having trouble getting the Hornet to group, I'm running out of patience and money

WIN71
April 28, 2005, 09:14 PM
I've got the same model as you do. It grouped at around 1.25 to 1.50 inch at 100 when I first started shooting it. That was much better than the ruger hornet I traded in. I've put roughly 200 rounds through it and it's now almost always close to 1.00 inch 3-shot groups at 100 yds. I'm using a 2x7 redfield scope and admit I'm having trouble holding dead on. I've had the best luck with 40 gr. V max, 40 gr. ballistic tips, with 40 gr. Sierras not far behind. My partner bought the same rifle at the same time only in .222 and he is having trouble with his. I hope that's not a bad omen.

Ron

PAHOGHUNTER
April 29, 2005, 07:40 AM
I tried the 40 & 35 grain vmax, 37 grain hp from Calhoon, at least 3 different types of primers, several types of powder, different OAL'S. And I'm not asking for 1/2 groups, I can't get under 2 inches!

WIN71
April 29, 2005, 11:01 AM
I may have just got lucky. I have not chronographed my load lately and I'm using a moderate load, 10.0 gr. H110 and WSR primers. Like I said before, I've been fighting with the Hornet for quite a while albeit mostly with a Ruger. I have had a cz 527 .223 a while only it's the European model with sights. I've carried it around in the truck a couple years and last week I put an old (50's era ) weaver 3x on just to see how it shot. I will no doubt get hee hawed on this one but I was shooting win factory 55 gr. soft points at 100 yards. It grouped from 1 inch to 1.5 inch for 6 groups of both 3 and 4 shots. I kept shooting cause I just couldn't believe it. With 3x I was shooting at a fairly large bulls eye target because I just couldn't clearly see the 1 inch squares I usually use. The rifle is back in the truck and the scope is still on it!!

Ron

Mike Hull
April 30, 2005, 11:21 AM
You guys might try floating the barrels on those rifles. It might make a world of difference.
Check the scope mounts too. Start at the base screws, and check everything.

Redfield's not the name it used to be in scopes. Made in china now, IIRC.
About the same as BSA, etc. Although, for all I know, you may have an older one made here. :confused:

MLC
April 30, 2005, 03:54 PM
I have a CZ 550 in 6.5x55 that didn't shoot so hot straight from the box.
I found that the bolt handle rested on the stock when closed and the barrel channel was contacting on one side of the barrel.
With those two modifications it shoots under an inch at 100 with Sierra 140 and 160 grain Gamekings.
**I rereading Mr Hulls post, I realized mine came free floated from the factory.
I do not think my 527 in 204 is free floated, but it shoots.**

capnrik
May 1, 2005, 08:53 AM
My 527 American .223 came with the barrel free floated. On the Hornet, are you shooting .223 bullets or .224? Hornady sells two different 45 grain bullets marked "Hornet". One bullet is .223 in diameter, the other is .224 and they are so marked.

I had to experiment a little bit to find a load my rifle liked, but not a terrible amount. I have often read that the Hornet is tricky to handload, which is another reason I opted for the .223.

WIN71
May 1, 2005, 09:38 AM
Glad you mentioned Redfield and China, and just in time for me. I have a 204 on order and was looking at a new Redfield 6x18 and couldn't figure out why it was so cheap. Seems ike they used to be about the same as Leupolds. The 2x7 I have on a cz hornet is about 25 years old and was on a 270 for years. Its a good scope, compact I think they call it, anyway it looks and works good on the cz.

Ron

PAHOGHUNTER
May 1, 2005, 03:22 PM
The barrel is floated the aciton is glassed, the bullets are .224, and I checked all mounting screws on scope and bases, the scope not really an expensive one allowed me to shoot goups under 1 inch with my TIKKA T3 LITE in .223 !

JB in SC
May 5, 2005, 10:10 PM
Try Lil' Gun. Really works well, about perfect for the Hornet. 13 - 13.4 grains under the 40 grain V Max.

The cartridge can be finicky, I've owned some particularly aggravating rifles.

Best,
JB

texfar
May 6, 2005, 09:55 PM
Phoghunter, I have had a Ruger #3, .22 Hornet for years and it took a lot of patience to get it shooting.....a lot. It now groups regularly under an inch at 100. It was not all the Ruger.....I am very very particular with loading this round. The slightest things will cause some unbelievable variance in standard deviation. If you have a Chrono or access to one, shoot a couple of groups of 10 through it and see what your Standard Deviation is. With all the tricks I use, I find it difficult to get the SD really low as with My high power loads. Just check it before condeming your gun. Might very well be something you can do something about without much grief. Just for grins, MY favorite load is either the 35 or 40 VMAX. The 40 gr is with 11.8 grains of H110 with CCI primer. Loading for this round is worthy of an entire thread of rehash.

PAHOGHUNTER
May 8, 2005, 06:46 AM
Funny you should mention the #3 RUGER I have 2 of them in Hornet neither one of them shoots very well either I might try the H 110

JB in SC
May 8, 2005, 08:47 AM
PAHOGHUNTER,

The No. 3 was one really aggravating rifle. I had three: .22 Hornet, .30-40 Krag, and .45-70. The .30-40 shot well, as did the .45-70. The Hornet was another story entirely. Finally took the barrel band off the forend and had some better results, but no cigar. Paul Matthews had a really nice article on his No. 3 Hornet experiences in a Gun Digest some years ago. Made me feel better to know I wasn't the only one with problems....

I'd like to see Ruger do a scaled down version of the No. 3 for small bore centerfires and rimfires with a trim stock and forend, it could be a great platform for those cartridges.

Regards,
JB

PAHOGHUNTER
May 8, 2005, 10:46 AM
I'm not sure what you mean by scaled down, if you are referring to weight I agree, mine weigh approx. 8lb,6oz with scope, and the barrel band thing didn't work either, one of mine has it removed I couldn't notice any difference!

JB in SC
May 8, 2005, 01:57 PM
Yeah, it's too heavy and a little bulky for a small bore rifle. Make it about 6 lbs with a trimmer forend and stock. I like the lever as is, scallop the action (like the guy in PA used to do) and add a sporter contour barrel rather than the straight taper. Actually a smaller action wouldn't hurt my feelings, since the current action is scaled to dangerous game cartridges.

I don't see them doing any of it, but they are missing out on a huge market.

PAHOGHUNTER
May 8, 2005, 04:10 PM
I wonder who the guy was in Pa, that 6lb gun sounds great, I hunt a lot of groundhogs and a light gun would be nice, I have 19 CALHOON, built on a CZ action that weighs just over 9lbs, I love the caliber but the gun is to heavy to carry, this winter I am going to look into a way to lighten the gun.

JB in SC
May 8, 2005, 04:27 PM
The name is J. Korzinek, he was located at the time in Canton, PA, he converted the Ruger No. 1 and No. 3 to .22 LR or Magnum and IIRC could scallop the action to reduce the weight. That was in the mid 90's and I don't think he still does that work. I've talked with at least two shooters that owned converted rifles, seemed to like them. I doubt the reduction in action weight amounted to much, but every ounce counts. The Ruger is way overbuilt for small bores, IMO. I did see a piece in a Gun Digest about a fellow converting one to rimfire, a beautiful rifle..the stock was a far cry from the issue walnut.

I'm sure that Hamilton Bowen could do the same work, but he is pretty expensive.

Best,
JB

texfar
May 9, 2005, 08:19 AM
All, I will add that the #3 that I have did not really tighten up to where it is now until I bought the Hicks Accurizer from EABACO. It really work!. I honestly watched the groups go in half while tuning it. Tuning it is another story. Man, it barely touches the barrel.....I mean barely. Not hard to install either. Getting my standard deviation down to an acceptable limit was the most difficult with this little round. Killed a lot of stuff with it!!

JB in SC
May 9, 2005, 08:42 AM
texfar,

I agree, the Hornet is a great round. I've always understood that reaming the Hornet to a "K" solves a lot of the issues with the cartridge, but I've never owned one. I like the Hornet concept, but my experiences with the cartridge make me more than a little leery of buying another. I would consider another Cooper, chambered for the .22 K Hornet, if they would make the Model 38 in a LH version.

Another alternative might be a .221 Fireball, probably the closest rimless cartridge to a Hornet. I think that CZ is chambering the round in their excellent little rifle.

Regards,
JB

Death from Afar
May 9, 2005, 03:55 PM
Well, I picked up my 1949 BRNMO yesterday, and am pretty happy with it.

My understanding with Hornets and accuracy is that they have two things going against them- the stubby bullets do not get enough rifling on the bearing surface to stabalise properly, and the small case capacity means that slight variations in powder results in a large percentage change in powder. None of this is good for accuracy.

Having said all that, I love the Hornet idea.

1/ Its cheap to shoot. With average ( that is, none premier projectiles) it is about the same to shoot as .22 magnum
2/ Its report is mild, so you dont need to worry about the ears in the filed.
3/ It has a cool name.... :p

PAHOGHUNTER
May 9, 2005, 07:27 PM
Hicks Accurizer nerver heard of it, what is it?

MADISON
May 10, 2005, 05:07 AM
PAHOGHUNTER:
I have owned several [3] .22 Hornets since the 70's. In order to get them to group I had to down-load them to 7.3 grains of IMR 4227. That is not the load I use today, in my 77/22-Hornet.
I have not tried the load[s] but there are lots of people who saay theirs shoot well with 10.0 to 12.0 grains of LITTLE GUN. I use 9.7 grains of 2400.

Sodbuster
May 10, 2005, 06:07 AM
the barrel channel was contacting on one side of the barrel
I've noticed that on several CZs that I've seen; too common an occurence.

texfar
May 10, 2005, 08:32 AM
PAHOGHUNTER, The Hicks Accurizer is a barrel tuning device that fits in the fore end. I bought it from E.Arther Brown several years ago. Think that Brownells might sell them too. Cost about 50 bucks and takes about 30 minutes to set up, inlet the stock and install it. Tunes with allen wrench from the outside assuming you have the guts to drill the invisible hose. Mine works great. It is not a gimick at all. Barrel tuning has been around for ages. Hopes this helps.

texfar
May 10, 2005, 08:37 AM
I am not an expert, but a well schooled reloader of .22 hornet. There are a lot of bullets out there for the hornet, and not all will do in all rifles. The ruger #3 is either a 14 or 16 twist rate. Some of the others are 12 then there are even some more. Know what twist rate you have then buy the bullet weight for it. Those that advertise a "hornet Bullet" will not always work with the older slower twist rate barrels. Just my experience

Death from Afar
May 10, 2005, 07:12 PM
I have just picked up a 1949 brno Hornet. Mint condition too- I am going out shooting possums this weekend and see how it goes- will be using Sellers and Belliot ammo for the cases, then handload for it. :)

PAHOGHUNTER
May 10, 2005, 08:48 PM
My #3 has a 14 inch twist, I just looked at BERGER'S site they recommend a 50 grain bullet for this twist, thats just a little heavy!

texfar
May 10, 2005, 11:29 PM
PAHOGHUNTER, The Hicks Accurizer is installed in the forearm to the stock lug and is a barrel tuner. Sold by E.A. Brown and maybe Brownells now. It works on #3 and #1 Ruger rifles.