PDA

View Full Version : Pet peeving... Why am I so picky?

Coop de Ville
April 10, 2005, 09:21 AM
Just got my 870P back from my smith who put GRs on it. I zeroed it at the range and it's giving me one very ragged hole at 25yds.
(brenneke ko's out of the 20" IC bore). I am happy with that.... especially for me.

But, I noticed that the rear sight is mounted off-center about an 1/8" or so. The GR needed to be cranked all the way flush left to zero. I hate sounding so petty, but it's one of the only things I feel a gun needs to have... sights that zero CLOSE to mechanical zero...

So, I know it's a SG, not a rifle, but I shoot the thing just as well.

The rear is mounted by 2 screws. Obviously, it can't be remounted this way because of the existing receiver taps. Can smiths fill the holes and redrill or remove and epoxy/ solder it at center?

Anyone else ever have a seemingly stupid obsession with their sights :)

Best -Coop

Jim Watson
April 10, 2005, 09:59 AM
I don't think it is unreasonable. Any so-called gunsmith who would mount a sight 1/8" off centerline is an incompetent butcher who has ruined your shotgun. Sue him.

Coop de Ville
April 10, 2005, 10:56 AM
ok, ok, I had it coming. I just thought there was an easy fix.

Best -Coop

cntryboy1289
April 10, 2005, 10:14 PM
The man drilled and tapped the wholes off center line because he was in a hurry and tried to get er' done so he could make money on the deal or he was a complete imbecil. Either way, he screwed you out of the gun for anything but dealing with the problem. You asked about a quick fix, well heres one, take it back to him and ask him to give you another gun just like the one he ruined. If he is any kind of a business man, he will do this since it was his mistake. Anything other than this will ruin the appearance of the gun and or the safety of it if he tells you he can fill the holes by any means other than putting screws in the holes and redrilling and tapping the gun in front of or behind the holes in it now. Tell him if he offers to do this to do it himself after he replaces the gun. Don't let him out of this one.

mtnboomer
April 11, 2005, 01:02 AM
Yes, the holes can be filled with screws that will have to be cut off, ground flush and blued/parkerized to match the finish. If you are lucky, after drilling and tapping the new holes, the sight will cover the previous, mislocated holes. This, as stated above, is total stupidity on the part of the 'smith! You should DEMAND that he redo the rear sight AT HIS OWN EXPENSE. He should agree without a fight if is he's worth his salt - in fact, he should be the one to suggest it!

Coop de Ville
April 11, 2005, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the advice. I have another gun to pick up next week and I will bring it to him and see what happens.

Best -Coop

cntryboy1289
April 11, 2005, 10:42 PM
I am not saying the guy is completely imcompetent, but if he passed it off without looking at the gun, he may be too busy to do my repairs.

Coop de Ville
April 12, 2005, 06:27 AM
Well, the other gun, a G3, was given to him specifically to fix a canted triple frame.

We'll see.

Dave Sample
April 12, 2005, 12:01 PM
What would make anyone think that if he can't do it right the first time, that he can do it right the second or third time? Is the Competenyt Fairy going to touch him with Her Magic Wand and make him good at his business overnight? I really doubt it.