PDA

View Full Version : 45-70 or 45-90 black powder ammo?

agent00
April 10, 2005, 01:38 AM
Hi, guys I am planning to preorder soon a replica of a sharps 1874 rilfe and I will use it for fun/target shooting and for hunting (deer). I will only use black powder ammunition.

Which catridge would be the best choice for a bp rifle beginner concerning reloading? And would there be a great difference in terminal performance between the 45-70 und the 45-90?

Jim Watson
April 10, 2005, 09:41 AM
The conventional wisdom amongst (some but not all) target shooters is that the .45 x 2 4/10 (.45-90) will show an advantage over .45 x 2 1/10 (.45-70) only at ranges greater than 800 yards.

Differences in terminal performance on deer? Forget about it.
Get the .45-70. There is so much more available in terms of guns, components, data, and 132 years of experience for it. The .45-90 is not much harder to load for but it cuts your choices and increases your costs.

I don't know your budget but suggest you START looking at Pedersoli copies of '74 Sharps. I have heard from Cowboy shooters of decent guns from some of the other Eyetalian brands but I have seen some that were ok and some that were junk; it is a crapshoot. I do not see them at all on the BPCR Silhouette and target ranges where score is kept and excuses are not.
Shiloh and C. Sharps are much nicer if you are willing to pay for quality.

You can start learning about black powder loading at:
http://www.ssbpcrc.co.uk/Resources/Introduction%20to%20BPCR%20Loading.pdf

There was an article on less elaborate .45-70 loading in the April issue of Handloader magazine. I don't understand his thinking, he talked about loading BPCR with less expensive bullet molds and other cost and time saving measures... for $2000 rifles. He got good enough accuracy for hundred yard deer hunting, but very little that would do for target shooting at any great distance.

The SPG Black Powder Cartridge Handloading Primer is a good reference, as is Mike Venturino's book 'Shooting the Buffalo Rifles.'

Lots of good information at
http://www.shilohrifle.com/forums/
and your Sharps doesn't HAVE to be a Shiloh to learn a lot.

A Buffalo Arms catalog will show you everything you need except the powder itself.
http://www.buffaloarms.com

I am all in favor of real black powder and use nothing else in my Higwall. The fakes are easier to get if you only shop at Walmart but they have peculiarities of their own and they just don't SMELL right. If you just must, beware of Pyrodex. Although it does not accumulate fouling during shooting, it is harder to clean and more corrosive if you miss a speck. As a friend found out on a Marlin repeater shot at CAS.

agent00
April 10, 2005, 12:04 PM
ok thx for your answers and for the great link.

ps: which bullet weight would you recomend for hunting deer?

Jim Watson
April 10, 2005, 01:36 PM
Hanged if I know, I am not a hunter.
Most of the hunters over on Shiloh pay more attention to bullet shape than weight. I doubt a 400 grain flatpoint would do Bambi any good.

agent00
April 10, 2005, 11:42 PM
ok thx again for your answer

45Dana
April 28, 2005, 10:45 AM
Mind you, I am not an expert but have shot BPC's for about 4 years now.
I have a C. Sharps, (1875) in 45/90 that will also shoot 45/70's very well and within hunting accuracy or better. It will shoot smokless loads as well including the Buffalo Bore loads.
I had a Pedersoli that while being beautiful just couldn't shoot straight. I could not find a bullet or load that it liked so I sold it.
I have heard however that some guys have had great results on the range and in contests with them. I guess it is crap shoot.
The other consideration is what you are going to do with the rifle...hunt, plink or shoot BPC matches.

drinks
May 17, 2005, 10:36 PM
00;
You really need to find out what is available in the way of support where you live, I am beginning to suspect you are not in Austria, as you claimed on another forum, if I am wrong I apoligize, but you come across as a juvenile who is just asking random questions.
Don :rolleyes: