PDA

View Full Version : Rock River ARs

utaherrn
April 5, 2005, 07:33 AM
looking at one of these, a Rock River Elite CAR A4.
Questions are:
does the mid-length handguard's gas system offer any real reliability advantage over the regular 16" bbl gas system? I like the look of the mid-length handguards better, but can get a used regular shorty upper for a much lower price.

Also, does chrome lining offer any advantage in a dry climate? It probably does in humid conditions, or so I've heard. Chrome lining isn't standard on RRA uppers. Is the extra $40 worth it, or maybe spend $65 for the stainless bbl? I'm inclined to think chrome is worth it. I had a pos PWA AR years ago and had reliability problems that was likely due to a cheap ammo/no chrome combination. I still have tons of the Norinco .223 and would like to be able to use it up.

The Body Bagger
April 5, 2005, 08:01 AM
The answer to both questions is yes. The mid length system allows the gas to cool minutely befoe being blasted through to bolt carrier group. As minor as it may be, under heavy rapid fire the mid length systems have been proven to be more reliable than the shorty M4 system. Not to mention the extra sight length afforded with irons as well. Chrome lining does more than corrosion resistance, its primarily for wear resistance because of its RC hardness. Not only that but the chrome chamber also allows easier extractions as its friction level is also finer than a non chromed standard chamber. If you are not planning on shooting hard and fast neither will mean a hill of beans, but its still nice to have.

cheygriz
April 5, 2005, 11:19 AM
1. Yes.

2. Yes.

I'm a Bushmaster fan myself, but the RRA AR is one fine weapon. I think you'll like it.

fanoblack
April 5, 2005, 12:31 PM
Stainless is said to be more accurate, but in the setup you are talking about I doubt you will see this accuracy since I believe you couldn't really tell a difference until past 100 yds. I would say Chrome is worth it, anything that cost 40 dollars and will increase the longevity of a piece of equipement that costs $900 is worth it.

I have heard good things about RRA, and I have heard good things about mid-length gas systems. I prefer the look as well, whenever I build a carbine I am going to look for a mid-length system (hopefully a RRA upper).

fanoblack

1BadF350
April 5, 2005, 12:37 PM
I just bought the Tactical CAR A4 on Friday. Apparently, Rock River will not gaurantee the accuracy of the rifle with a chrome lined barrel. I opted for the standard chromoly barrel instead.

fanoblack
April 5, 2005, 12:53 PM
Granted the chrome lining does remove accuracy from the barrel, but were talking a minutely small number here. Stainless might still be the better options, I think.

fanoblack