PDA

View Full Version : 45 Super, who shoots one, what gun and fav. loads.

N.H. Yankee
April 1, 2005, 04:11 PM
I converted my Springfield 1911 milspec to 45 super using a Wolff 28lb recoil spring, along with a titanium firing pin and spring, heavy duty extractor, and full length recoil spring guide rod. I havent yet used full power 45 Super loads because I have reservations with the S/A 2 piece barrel. I will say even with the loads using 45 Super brass using 10.0gr of Power Pistol 185gr gold dot with the max.being 11.3gr according to realguns.com, the recoil was pretty harsh even with gloves on. This may be due to the powder as I find power pistol to give a bit more recoil than other powders for the same velocity range in other loads. I have gotten my best accuracy from power pistol as I have tried HS7, AA7 and blue dot. Has anyone tried VV N350, and if so how was accuracy and recoil? I also have a problem with most of the spent brass being dinged beyond reloading, any suggestions on how to prevent this will be appreciated. I am using the gun as a 45 Super as limited use as I only want it for hiking locally, also I guess like some of us I cant resist experimenting.

Handy
April 1, 2005, 05:51 PM
You didn't convert your gun to .45 Super, you just put in a different recoil spring - and that doesn't cut it. The conversion is a bit more complicated, and super heavy recoil springs just beat the crap out of the lower barrel lugs.

N.H. Yankee
April 2, 2005, 08:40 AM
I got the conversion info from shooting times, so I figured it would surfice, also it depends upon whose article you read as to what is a 45 Super conversion though what you say makes sense, one gun writer said he bought a Kimber and just replaced the recoil spring. I know ace Custom does the 1911's in 45 Super and they have a kit. I also have the shok buffer if that helps. What would you suggest I do, I dont use the gun for target use,just for hiking and dont expect to fire more than 500 rounds of super in alifetime and it wont be full power super. will Keeping my loads mid 45super power be better?

Bob C
April 2, 2005, 01:23 PM
I had read about "converting' a Glock 21 to .45 Super with a heavier recoil spring, and a barrel with a more supported chammber.

Others may have had different results, but I tried it, and was not successful.

The recoil was a lot harsher, which made me think about damage or at least accelerated wear to the frame. With the stronger recoil springs you may slow the slide velocity going back, but you are increasing the slide velocity as it returns to firing position,

Also, with my gun the function was erratic, and with regular or even +P loads this pistol is 100%.