PDA

View Full Version : Smith 37 or 637?

orionengnr
March 25, 2005, 06:18 PM
I am a long-time semi auto guy and a kinda-new-to-revolvers guy. Bought my first (in 20 years anyway), a Smith 66, in December (actually my GF bought it for me for Christmas). Now I'm looking at the Scandium 357 mini's for CCW, but at $600, I'm still evaluating (spell that waffling). Probably would not carry it with 357's, so...

Now I see that the 637 (38 +p) is only about 2 oz heavier and about 1/2 price. Good interim step, I'm thinking...

Then I see an early 90's 37-2 for the same price ($300). Same weight, same external dimensions, but blue (sure is purty...).

So, is it old and blue, or new and silver?

FWIW, the 66 is my only stainless pistol, and while I don't hate it, I'm not a stainless convert (yet). I am open to discussion and appreciate the low-maintenance aspects of the SS weapon.

Smith guys, tell me what you think of the 37 and the 637, please?

lspd 76
March 25, 2005, 06:33 PM
:) i recently caught a deal on a new smith 636 and just had to buy it ($299.00). its light weight and with a 1 7/8 inch barell its ideal for off duty cary and concelment. i also purchased a galco speedmaster holster. this set up works great together. i was also pleased with the intergrated safety lock on the gun itself. smith provides 2 keys with the gun. smith also makes a model 637 which is hammerless. i don't think you could go wrong with either model.

orionengnr
March 25, 2005, 06:40 PM
on S&W's website, I see a 637 (with hammer) and a 638 (hammerless). I do not see a 636. Please help me out here.

lspd 76
March 25, 2005, 09:39 PM
:o your right, i must have typed it in wrong, the 637 is the standard model and the 638 is the hammerless.

Poygan
March 26, 2005, 03:22 PM
To be upfront about it, I have a prejudice for the older, blued Smiths. So, I can't comment on the 637. I've owned a 37 for about 25 years and I do like it. Very light but shoots well. Perhaps the main potential drawback is that +P rounds shouldn't be used in it because of the light weight frame. I think the $300 may be a bit high but I didn't check out the price in the bluebook.

orionengnr
March 27, 2005, 01:52 PM
With regard to price, it may be. I cannot find any more of them for sale. It is reputed to have only one box through it. If true, I would think it to be in above-average condition (all else equal).

With regard to +p, other threads on this site say that the pressure within 38+p ammo varies quite a bit from one manufacturer to the next, and most concerns over the use of +p ammo is limited to older revolvers.

Having said that, would it be unreasonable to practice with plain old 38 spl, but carry +p? Of course, I would put a cylinder or two worth of the intended carry ammo downrange first, but not make it a common practice...