PDA

View Full Version : .303 for whitetail deer?

John G
November 10, 1999, 10:42 AM
I'm gonna try to take my Lee-Enfield #1* in .303 deer hunting this year. There's not that many rifle areas in NY, so I've never done this before. What's a good ammo choice? I'm guessing my FMJ will go right through.

Long Path
November 10, 1999, 08:55 PM
Remington 180 g Round Nosed Soft Point is excellent. I personally have grouped this stuff inside of 2" at 100 yards with a dark-bore SMLE that had stock trouble in the worst way. (I.E., this was as good as it got for that rifle! ;))

It's not even that expensive-- say, about $15/box. Don't be thrown by the fact it's round nose-- that won't make a difference in the drop at the ranges you'll be shooting, anyway (<200yds). Also, there is good evidence that round noses "hit harder", inasmuch as they needn't expand much at all to give you full caliber facial area.

Winchester also used to make a good SP load, but I've had better accuracy from the SPRN Remington. Its MV, if memory serves, is about 2400fps. More than adequate for any deer that ever walked, out to ranges far beyond whats sporting. Good luck!

M.G.

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

Rocky Road
November 11, 1999, 06:37 PM
John G---

I second all Long Path wrote as regards the ammo. Dunno know why but my two Enfields and a couple more I know of all like the 180 RNSP, and don't seem to care too much about what brand.

When I worked up my handload, I went with the Sierra 180 spitzer SP, to do the best I could to duplicate trajectory of the Mk VII ball military ammo--This to kinda match it up to the micrometer adjustable rear sight on my No. 4 Mk. 1 rifle. I have not been able to shoot it beyond 300 yards yet, but that's kinda academic, as I wouldn't shoot a game animal that far, even with the good peep sights.

Again agreeing with LP, I don't think most of us have any business shooting game beyond 200 yards with open signts.

One suggestion--I presume that you are well familiar with the sights and adjustments on your particular rifle. If it is possible, get an extra box of the Remington (or whatever commercial) 180 RNSP and sight to hit dead on at 200 yds, or 2 to 3 inches high at 100.

Also--Sight in with the hunting ammo. It would be mere coincidence if yout FMJ practice ammo hit same point of aim as the SP.

Take the steadiest rest possible, "go down on them sights," and P-R-E-S-S-S-S. The .303 Brit is a FINE old cartridge and is only a little bit behind the .30-06. And, up until the 1970s, probably took more eatin' game than any other cartridge above .22 rimfire.

Continue the tradition, amigo, and let us know how it went.

RR

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Stephen A. Camp
November 12, 1999, 08:17 AM
Hello all. Sage advice has been given and I can add nothing to it save to say that the .303 with loads as listed will cleanly take any deer at reasonable ranges in this country. Best and good hunting.