PDA

View Full Version : How to peen the action on Elgin Shotgun

KDBG42
March 23, 2005, 10:14 PM
I have an Elgin Arms Company 12ga. side-by-side with 30" barrels on it, and is hammerless.
The actio is loose and I need to know how to peen the lugs on it to tighten the actio. When you put the shells in it the action tightens alittle. What other way can I tighten the action if peening is only a temperary thing?

I need to know step by step on how the peenning is done.
Can anyone help with this.
This shotgun is an old family air loom and also has to dents in each barrel but not enough to stop shooting it. I can shoot target loads through it just fine.

Sarge
March 23, 2005, 10:41 PM
I can't help you with the peening but I wanted to chime in and say that I've got an old Elgin double 12 myself.... although mine has about 10" less barrels than yours does. I find that when I close the gun up, if I will push the action lever a little (in the direction it normlly goes on closing) it will snug the whole gun up some.

Cool old scatterguns, from days long gone. Mine shoots passable 00 buck groups to about 20 yards, and will keep both barrels on a mailing envelope at that distance using slugs. My stock was cracked a little and needs replaced; if you decide to sell yours, shoot me an e-mail at [email protected] I might be interested in another one for the barrels alone.