PDA

View Full Version : Kimber Ultra Carry

BoWin123
March 22, 2005, 10:36 PM
I was at my local gun store today asking about concealable .45s in the $500-$600 price range and was directed toward a Kimber Ultra Carry. I really liked it an became very interested. I was just wondering what you all think of this gun.

Also, what are the differences between the Ultra Carry and the Ultra Carry II?

--Bo

Puppy
March 22, 2005, 11:02 PM
I CCW on a daily basis, generally I will carry a Colt Combat Commander which is about the same size as the Kimber Compact & Kimber Pro Carry but occasionally I will switch over and carry a Colt Officers ACP which is about the same size as the Kimber Ultra Carry if I need a bit more concealability for some odd reason.

In my experiance the Colt Commander / Kimber Pro Carry sized is much more enjoyable to shoot (and more accurate too) than the Colt Officers / Kimber Ultra Carry.

But the Officer / Ultra Carry sized pistols are easier to conceal.

Puppy
March 22, 2005, 11:03 PM
Sorry forgot to address Series I vs Series II.

Get the Series I - everyone I know who has had a Series II has experianced too many problems for me to recomind them.

Likestoshoot
March 23, 2005, 01:28 AM
I have an Ultra and love it. It is my carry weapon and I have not had any failures to date. Some people have complaints about the 3 inch 1911's but you will always have some complain about everything. In reality there is not a series I. The difference in the original and the series II is the addition of an additional safety. This was primarily added to allow sales in states like CA., which have created laws regarding gun safeties. There were a lot of complaints about the early series II pistols but I think most of that has been corrected or they now have another change the complain about with the external extractor Kimber is installing on all new pistols. Mine is the original series pistol.

sageowl
March 23, 2005, 01:45 AM
I bought the Kimber Ultra Carry II a while back and was told to expect some various failures until everything broke in, which I experienced for the first hundred rounds or so. After that it's been smooth sailing, eats anything I feed it, and hasn't had any other problems. It's a bit harder to shoot accurately than a longer weapon (even the 4" 1911s), given the super-short sight radius.

As was noted previously, the major difference is the change to an external extractor in the Series II pistols. I haven't had a problem with it, but I can't comment on the difference as I haven't shot an original series Kimber.

Couple words of advice I'd offer are to definitely buy this gun with the night sights, or just plan on replacing the standard irons right off the bat, as plain iron sights just suck. Also, keep the factory mag around to beat up on the range (i.e. tactical reloads), and buy Wilson Combat mags for everything else.

deezulsmoke
March 23, 2005, 09:15 AM
I carried a UCII for 3 years. There are internal extractor series IIs out there, mine was one. They changed to the external just in the last year or so. The older mags with the spilt follower will gouge the frame below the feedramp if you use them. The new Kimbers don't use the split follower anymore. This can be solved by using Wilson mags. Many people have had issues with many of the new Kimbers. Most of the problems have been with extraction. If this Ultra is a series I and has the internal extractor, then it is a better made gun and should be more reliable for you. There are always some chance that a 3 inch 1911 will not work as well as a 4-5 inch gun. Also, some people have problems with the shorter grip of the officer size frame. The UC is very light and will really recoil when using defensive loads. I also now pack a steel 5 inch 1911 everyday and find it no more or less comfortable or hard to pack than the 3 inch. Unless you are really really set on the shorter gun, I would recommend that you look at a Commander size gun made of steel. Having said that, the Ultra served me well.

Deez.

Robert Hairless
March 23, 2005, 11:21 AM
A Kimber Ultra Carry in good condition in the $600 price range is a good buy and an excellent carry pistol. They don't come along often.

poortrader
March 23, 2005, 11:51 AM
Practice, Practice, & Practice. I believe that my UC II is very accurate for it's size. Obviously, you're going to be more accurate with longer guns, but it's the ULTRA SIZE, and that's what you're looking for. I can out shot my friends with military and many more years of shooting experience. They shoot Glocks and CZ's. Intially, I had FTE's but I equate that with lack of experience and limp wristing. It's my primary carry gun. Don't hesitate to pick one up if you can find a good deal. Just do a little of homework on price before you buy it.

FirstFreedom
March 23, 2005, 04:06 PM
Get the compact (4") Kimber rather than an ultra (3"), IMO. The 4" are more reliable, require less maintenance, give more sight radius, more bullet velocity, and are still 95% as easy to conceal. Having said that, I had an Ultra Carry for awhile, and it worked perfectly reliably.

BoWin123
March 24, 2005, 12:13 AM
I've read quite a few complaints about problems with the external extractors on the Ultra Carry II's as a few of you have mentioned. I'm pretty sure that I know what I'm looking for to identify an external extractor, but I was wondering if anybody could post a picture showing exactly what it looks like.

Thanks for all of the replies and help.

--Bo

Robert Hairless
March 24, 2005, 01:41 AM
What follows is a photo of a Kimber with an external extractor. The pistol is a Raptor and the external extractor is right behind the ejection port.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/raptor/Kimber-Pro-Raptor-00L.jpg

But that's the long way around the barn: if you know what a 1911 looks like you'll see instantly whether it has an internal extractor. It's there or it isn't.

All that is irrelevant if we're still talking about the Kimber Ultra Carry because, so far as I know, there has never been a version of the Ultra Carry with an external extractor. There were only two versions of the Ultra Carry and both have the standard internal extractor. Each of the two versions is marked clearly on the slide similar to "Stainless Ultra Carry" (which is the original Ultra Carry, the older one, which has come to be called the "original series" or "Series I") or similar to "Stainless Ultra Carry II" (which is the current Ultra Carry). If the Ultra Carry you're looking at does not have the "II" it's the older model, which is the one I'm talking about and thought you were talking about.

The difference between the two versions is that the Ultra Carry II has a firing pin safety device but the original doesn't. My own experience with Kimbers of both series is that they work equally well. Other people don't think so.

Here's a photo from Kimber's web site showing the Ultra Carry II. It's a small photo but you might be able to make out the identification on the slide.

http://www.kimberamerica.com/images/pistols/stainlessultracarry_II.jpg

You'll probably also want to see Kimber's description of the Ultra Carry II (http://www.kimberamerica.com/ultra.php).

BoWin123
March 24, 2005, 01:57 AM
To me, Kimber's website made it look like the Ultra Carry II does not have the external extractor. However, while doing some research tonight, I came across this gun (http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=30064120) on GunBroker.com which definitely has the external extractor. I haven't been able to find many other Ultra Carry II's online that show external extractors, though. This is what led me to posting to clarify exactly what the external extractor looks like.

skt666
March 24, 2005, 02:07 AM
its great to shoot and mine is reliable but i just cant carry it comfortably. the grip always seemed to poke out from somewhere.

birddog1
March 24, 2005, 07:49 AM
I have a Ultra Carry II that I bought used for $700. It had problems with failure to extract but Kimber sent me a replacement extractor and it works flawlessly now. I changed the rubber grips to slim Alumgrips plus I only use Wilson mags in mine and its now the perfect carry weapon. I liked it so much, last week I bought a new Ultra CDP and I finally got to shoot it last night. I put 100 rounds through it and I did have 7 failures to extract and/or eject, but I think it might have to do with the break in time. As far as price, after I bought the used one, I found a place around here that sell new stainless Ultra Carry's for $700, although they don't have night sights and mine did. With a good belt and holster combo, its a great carry setup.

Scott

Robert Hairless
March 25, 2005, 04:21 PM
To me, Kimber's website made it look like the Ultra Carry II does not have the external extractor. However, while doing some research tonight, I came across this gun on GunBroker.com which definitely has the external extractor. I haven't been able to find many other Ultra Carry II's online that show external extractors, though. This is what led me to posting to clarify exactly what the external extractor looks like.

That Gunbroker.com photo does indeed show an Ultra Carry II with an external extractor. Kimber must not have updated its web site photos or description of the Ultra Carry II. And I focused on your original message, which specified that you were offered an "Ultra Carry" and then asked about the difference between an "Ultra Carry" and an "Ultra Carry II," so I thought you were asking about the difference between the pistol you were shown and the later version. Just for my own curiosity, were you offered an Ultra Carry or an Ultra Carry II?

Socrates
March 25, 2005, 04:36 PM
Ultra Carry II with internal extractor, in Stainless.

Has worked flawlessly, but, was taken to gunsmith right off the bat, and after break in.

Changed out some key parts for forged, and use Ultra slim grips from
Chip McCormack, and both Wilson and his mags.

Gun is setup to fire 45 Super, by an excellent, former Colt, gunsmith, but is practiced with 230 grain ball ammo, 99% of the time.

Since I'm in Kalifornia, legal carry is confined to very few areas. It is a problem with cocked and locked, tending to dig into areas with the holsters I use.
S

BoWin123
March 25, 2005, 04:44 PM
I'm pretty sure that I was shown an Ultra Carry in the store. I didn't notice an external extractor and the price tag said "Kimber Ultra Carry" not "Ultra Carry II."

However, I asked them today about getting the gun with night sights and they said they'd have to order it. I then asked whether it would be an Ultra Carry or an Ultra Carry II and they said it would be the Ultra Carry II. I wish I would have thought to ask if the gun sitting in the case was a I or II.

On another note, I rented an Ultra Carry II at the range this morning to see how I would like the aluminum frame and short barrel. There was definitely more recoil than a full-size 1911, but it wasn't unmanageable and it was actually pretty fun to shoot.

I also found out that they have a 6 month, no interest, no fees financing plan. That means that I just might actually be able to afford the gun!