PDA

View Full Version : 357 or 45?

Rpn1984
March 18, 2005, 12:37 PM
anyone have any ideas on which would have more stopping power a 357 magnum or a 45 acp?

FirstFreedom
March 18, 2005, 12:57 PM
Volumes of opinions on that (and similar) questions. 6 of one; half dozen of the other. For me, depends on the liklihood that the BG is wearing heavy/leather clothes, etc. Just a lightly clothed BG, I'd take .45; heavily clothed - .357 mag. All in all, the .357 probably slightly edges the .45, but I don't think there exists a definitive scientific answer. It's all about shot placement. But it's hard to argue with the decades of effectivenes against BGs in police guns of the .357 mag (before they all went to semi-autos in the 80s/90s).

swman
March 18, 2005, 12:59 PM
Based upon many current studies and external ballistic tests, the .357 magnum in 125 grain Hollow point is THE manstopper. Marshall & Sanow are the authorities on one side of the stopping power issue from the actual case histories of rounds actually used in shootings on the street. Their findings re-enforce other measures that the .357 is the manstopping round. The external ballistics of the .357 has led Sig Arms to develop the .357SIG in 125 grain HP. Many police forces in the U.S. are moving to the .357 SIG and away from the .40 S&W for this reason. As a matter of fact, Marshall has a web site, www.stoppingpower.net that you ought to go to for detailed info to your question.

Rick 1966
March 18, 2005, 01:05 PM
"Marshall & Sanow are the authorities on one side of the stopping power issue"

:rolleyes:

nwobhm
March 18, 2005, 01:36 PM
Both

7x57
March 18, 2005, 01:44 PM
I think you'd be in a pretty bad way if you were hit with either. Volumes of this discussion have taken place over the years.

SIGLOCKAUR
March 18, 2005, 03:14 PM
Not going to argue caliber choice based on "stopping power" (ain't no such animal in handgus). I will say this either caliber is effective with good shot placement. To me the .45 (especially compared to the smaller .357 packages) is milder in recoil thus easier to shoot fast and accurate, has much less muzzle blast, is flatter thus easier to carry concealed, and of course faster reloads. Since either will do the job with good shot placment it comes done to which one you are able to shoot fast, accurate shots. And feels ost comfortable to you. Forget about "stopping power". Anything 9mm or above with the best rounds will all achieve the desired results with much more similarity than mos will admit. It comes down to what works best for you. Attitude, good use of tactics, a platform that is reliable and you shoot well and have confidence in are much more important than caliber choices. Again as long as a good service caliber is chosev.

allen268
March 18, 2005, 03:25 PM
I have used both and wouldnt argue one being better then the other, they are both very effective rounds.

rellascout
March 18, 2005, 03:26 PM
Stopping power is poor term to use when describing handgun effectiveness. Shot placement and number of shots you can land in the shortest period of time is the best IMHO. It might be 9mm it might be 45 ACP. It all comes down to what can you shoot well and what are you comfortable with.

Rellascout

Gonzo_308
March 18, 2005, 06:00 PM
Given the context of the question I'd lean toward the .357