PDA

View Full Version : Para Ordnance: what can you tell me?

Concealed*Carrie
March 16, 2005, 10:43 PM
Para Pistols

What can you all tell me about these guns???
Good name?
Good quality?
Reliable?
Anything!
the one that I like is this one (http://www.paraord.com/product/product.html?id=43)

BigGun97B
March 16, 2005, 10:47 PM
I'm picking up my very first one tomorrow, it's used, a P14-45 Limited. 15 rounds of fire power with a few extras thrown in for the word limited to be on the slide. I haven't fired it yet, but the trigger feels REAL good. The Para Ordnance web site is a pretty good one. You can download their 2005 catalog and go through it. I know a few guys who have Para's. My best bud has 3 of them. Most everyone I know really likes them.

Concealed*Carrie
March 16, 2005, 10:57 PM
man... I like the one that I linked to A LOT!!!
I wonder how tough it would be to find a similar model (older-thats a 2005) used...
Thanks for the info!
Appreciated!!

Majic
March 16, 2005, 11:04 PM
Paras were the first wide body, high capacity 1911 style pistols. The short barreled P12 models have been made for many years and are fairly easy to find on the used market.

Concealed*Carrie
March 16, 2005, 11:06 PM
Quality tho you guys?
Are they good, bad, better, worse, middle, best?
Could a chic handle this gun?
Is it a dumb option for a CCW (look at me using acronyms!)

onlyinthemovies
March 16, 2005, 11:18 PM
Can't tell you much about your Para question, as I have only handled them in a store. But, to answer your question "could a chick handle this?" the answer is an unequivocal 'Yes' -- provided she is properly trained first. I have watched many women shoot .45's well.

That said, I am not sure that she would enjoy shooting a .45 with a three and a half inch barrel. You may not either. All I can say is that, as a generality, a short barreled .45 is not as pleasant to shoot as one with the traditional 5" barrel.

In terms of size, yes, the Para you are looking at appears to be a nice gun for concealed carry.

Concealed*Carrie
March 16, 2005, 11:35 PM
Onlyinthemovies: The "she" is "me" :D
And I plan on getting some good training! I'm actually looking into some gun safety courses to begin with.
This gun (the Para) will be a considered option sometime down the road after I get sick of the .22 that I bought as a first gun/CCW/Stun&Run/plinking gun.

Thanks for the replies~

pamick
March 17, 2005, 12:22 AM
Bar tender
Para..I have A P12. I've owned it for 10 or so years. It's a lovely pistol. Steel frame 12+1 SA. It's a VERY comfortable gun to shoot. It's the gun I carry mostly. I've put maybe 5-6000 through it and have never had it blink. I find it reliable and quite accurate. It is not a particularly light pistol, but I tend to perfer a piece I'm comfortable shooting and weight, in general, dampens recoil. Don't be put off with large calibers and the "fear" of recoil.

SirMissalot
March 17, 2005, 08:37 AM
I have had two Paras, P-10 (.45) and P-16 (.40). They shoot okay but I think they are over priced. Their accuracy cannot compare with Kimber, and they don't have the good feel in the hand that a single-stack .45 has. If you must have over 8 rounds in .45, I would pick a Glock 21. I will say in Para's defense that the LDA felt pretty good, but I only dry fired it.

onlyinthemovies
March 17, 2005, 11:52 AM
Instant assumptions have a way of coming back and biting me :eek: . Sorry, Bar Tender. Had been answering a thread from a husband trying to shop for his wife on another board the past few days and my mindset carried over to TFL.

waynesworld
March 17, 2005, 07:01 PM
There is a 12/45 Para for sale on Glocktalk. I don't know if the Carry model is the same or not...

BigGun97B
March 17, 2005, 07:54 PM
Bar Tender, I got my P14-45 this afternoon. It's a mighty fine looking weapon. All blue. I have to wait until next Wednesday to shoot it, but I plan on running about 500 rounds through it then.

marca
March 17, 2005, 11:02 PM
I ended up dissapointed with my Para Carry. Had problems right out of the box and developed more as I approached 500 rounds. Traded it toward a Sig 245 and I don't regret it. With that said, I know a lot of shooters have had great luck with them.

Concealed*Carrie
March 18, 2005, 02:15 AM
Instant assumptions have a way of coming back and biting me . Sorry, Bar Tender. Had been answering a thread from a husband trying to shop for his wife on another board the past few days and my mindset carried over to TFL.

Not a problem! I totally understand... I was just messin' with ya :D

At any rate, thanks for the info you guys... I've seen a few Paras on Gunbroker.com that were waaaay below MSRP. Maybe I'll look into it at the next gun show (sick how I'm already planning the "next one" and I havent even gotten the chance to shoot the "first one" yet! It's really a sickness!!!)

tex45acp
March 18, 2005, 11:01 AM
I have a Stainless Carry 12 LDA that I love. Shoots great and has yet to have a malfunction. I will buy another in the future!!!

kancoyote
March 18, 2005, 10:03 PM
Hey Bartender, I have an LDA 14-.45 and I love it. As accurate as my brother's Kimber wide body, polymer framed 1911. I really like the trigger on the thing too. The LDA is very nice. I bought mine used (a Kansas Hwy Patrol trade-in), with about 250 rnds through it. I'd also advise Mec-Gar Hi cap mags as they are less than half the price of Para's and work very well in mine. :D

wile_coyote
March 18, 2005, 11:02 PM
My brother has one that I have shot more than a few times. It is a nice weapon. The only problem I have ever seen with it was that it did not seem to like Fiocchi ammo (actually from the 3 boxes that we had that day). With this brand, there was a lot of FTF's. After that my brother has never bought Fiocchi for his Para again and has not had any more problems.