PDA

View Full Version : What do you all know about the 5.45X39.5 ak's?

Joshua Hutchison
March 5, 2005, 01:57 AM
i need to find out stuff about them, the ammuntion and types avaliable these days

I know ive read about some 5.45 ammo having this neat hollow tipped full metal jacket, which made it REALLY tumble in the target, anyone have any ideas where to find this stuff?

Adam Firestone
March 6, 2005, 07:50 PM
You're talking about 7N6. And AFAIK it's non-importable.

Wolf claims to have the closest performance to the original.

What else do you want to know?

vanfunk
March 7, 2005, 09:17 AM
I have an Arsenal SLR-105(r) AK-74 in 5.45x39mm. It is now my only AK, having gone through a few SAIGAs and Romanian examples. I like the quality of the Bulgarian AKs (though the finish on mine was horrible until I redid it), and I've come to enjoy the low recoil and better accuracy of the 5.45 round vs. the 7.62x39. I have no experience shooting critters with it, only anecdotal observations of its destructiveness to such objects as laundry detergent bottles, clay pigeons, and mud clods. Wolf is the only ammo available to me locally, but it is very inexpensive ($2/box) and works well. It is absolute muder on water-filled gallon jugs, for what that's worth...

HTH,
vanfunk

MLC
March 7, 2005, 12:48 PM
Minimal recoil and better accuracy are what I've noticed comparing my 5.45 to my 7.62x39.

NSO_w/_SIG
March 16, 2005, 05:46 PM
I was looking into getting a Ak-47, but a guy at work has an AK-74 he built about a year ago with apprx. 100 rds through it, he is gonna give me a good deal on it. I really hadn't considered it before then as I have no experience with the rifle or the 5.45 cartridge.

From the opinions I've seen here so far it seems some of you like the 5.45, any other opinions or experiences with this round or rifle?

IronLance
March 16, 2005, 06:14 PM
I have a SAR 2. I was leery about getting it as 5.45 ammo wasn't as plentiful or as cheap as 7.62x39. I do not regret purchasing it now. The ammo is becoming easier to obtain, Barnaul makes soft points, Wolf makes hollow points, both make FMJ. Now my only complaint is not having brass to reload. (yes, Buffalo Arms makes brass... for $1.40 a piece).

I like the low recoil, no muzzle climb at all with the '74 brake. Heck, even with no brake there was very little muzzle rise.

I'll be keeping mine, thanks.