PDA

View Full Version : Is the .22 LR a sufficient weapon to hunt Coyotes with under 50yd???

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 06:26 PM
I have never hunted coyotes before and I have been seeing them when I shoot just before sunset. I wasn't sure if a lung shot would drop one within about 50 yards. I just purchased some 40 grain velocitors, that's the heaviest I have for .22, so that's probably what I'd use.

arthurrh
March 4, 2005, 06:58 PM
At 50 yards it's definitely going to work. But if you're going any farther you'll want to think about more gun.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 07:01 PM
I have been seeing them pretty close! Fifty yards should be the maximum.

MTMilitiaman
March 4, 2005, 07:07 PM
I am not sure I would consider the .22 ideal for coyotes, but it should work. And I agree with your choice of ammunition. I've used the Velocitors with great success on ground squirrels and other small game. I've never had anything do more than flop over and twitch when shot with the Velocitors. I wouldn't exactly call it recoil, but just shooting them lets you know the CCIs have more umph to them that most other .22 Long Rifle loads. Let us know how it turns out.

Handy
March 4, 2005, 07:15 PM
I don't think you'll get very clean kills, and the dogs will suffer. They are just as tough as people - imagine dying of a .22LR chest wound.

Japle
March 4, 2005, 07:34 PM
Having shot a lot of them, I'd say that a .22 will kill them, but not fast. You can't count on missing ribs or other bones that will deflect a .22.
If you're happy with them living for several minutes to an hour or more while they bleed out, go ahead. If you don't mind them living with a wound for days until it becomes infected and they finally die, have at it.

John
Cape Canaveral

Mannlicher
March 4, 2005, 07:57 PM
Yeah, if you shoot him enough times.

Jseime
March 4, 2005, 07:59 PM
for sure those velocitors will kill them theyre not as big as they look. id definetly be willing to try it with my 597 since its a 10 shot i like thos fast sollow ups.

Robinson
March 4, 2005, 08:07 PM
I've shot 11 coyotes in the past 6 years. I've had problems putting them down with .22 lr. I've even shot two with a .270 140 grain failsafe bullets. One of them that was shot rolled over two times got up ran off for 60 yards even with a .270! At fifty yards I would consider a 12 gauge shotgun with 3" magnum buckshot. They can be diffucult to put down but if you insist on using a .22 use premium rounds, I prefer lead roundnose bullets and you may want to take head shots.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 08:33 PM
I just figured, since my gun is a 15 shot semi-auto, I could fill one up pretty quick in the lung region.

ebd10
March 4, 2005, 08:40 PM
>>I just figured, since my gun is a 15 shot semi-auto, I could fill one up pretty quick in the lung region.<<

Don't bet on it. Coyotes are fast and seem to turn invisible when they want to. Your best bet is to step up to something with more oomph, like a .22 Hornet.

redhawk41
March 4, 2005, 08:42 PM

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 08:45 PM
if a 22lr was all you had, would you shoot one fifty yards and in?

Samuel_Hoggson
March 4, 2005, 08:49 PM
Coyotes are surprisingly non-tenacious. A .22LR will kill them out to 50 yards, but don't expect sudden kills. If you're looking to dump them right there, use something more powerful.

Sam

Rich Lucibella
March 4, 2005, 08:58 PM
I kill Coyotes on sight, with whatever is at hand. But I want to thank everyone here who pointed out this is not an ideal round for Coyote, except in the most controlled (or unexpected) situation.

TFL is about Responsible Firearms Ownership. That includes Responsible Hunting. I simply cannot understand Responsible Shooters intentionally planning to drop the hammer on an animal with a caliber "just to see", when you could just as easily choose a rifle that will leave no doubt (all things being equal).

Not only would it embarrass me if you came to me with that intent, but I'd probably be rooting for the Coyote, if not hunting you in the background.

Lurkers watch this Forum. Kids watch it. Anti's watch it. Is this the image y'all want for "Responsible Firearms Ownership"? If so, we're on completely different frequencies.
Rich

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 09:06 PM
That's why I'm asking. I wouldn't just go out and try it!

Rich Lucibella
March 4, 2005, 09:11 PM
trackman-
I didn't say it was an inappropriate Question....it's most certainly not.
Nothing personal intended.
Rich

The Body Bagger
March 4, 2005, 09:13 PM
I have been seeing them pretty close! Fifty yards should be the maximum.

Try not hiding under the bait pile.....they know you're there.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 09:26 PM
I have a Winchester Model 74 .22 LR, a 16 guage Remington Sportsman, and a CZ 1945 .25 auto. I know, weird assortment, but that's what I've got. I feel confident that my .22 loaded with 40g velocitors will do the trick at 50 and under.

Handy
March 4, 2005, 09:28 PM
I feel confident that my .22 loaded with 40g velocitors will do the trick at 50 and under. Well, since you mostly got the OPPOSITE advice, I wonder why you bothered asking?

Where does this curious confidence come from? Certainly not experience.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 09:32 PM
arthurrh, MTmilitiaman, Mannlicher, Jseime, and Samuel Hoggson seem to think that it would be ok! That's enough for me!

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 09:43 PM
I loved your point on the mom who got arrested for possesing an illegal gun! You're exactly right!

Rich Lucibella
March 4, 2005, 09:43 PM
arthurrh, MTmilitiaman, Mannlicher, Jseime, and Samuel Hoggson seem to think that it would be ok! That's enough for me!OK, then. Your hunt; Your index finger; Your bullet; Your Karma.
Go for it.
Rich

Handy
March 4, 2005, 09:49 PM
Trackman, Samuel specifically said that it will not kill them quickly. MT said it was not ideal. Not exactly unequivical support.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 09:57 PM
Samuel specifically typed "yes" and MT said it should work and to let him know how it turned out. Doesn't sound like they had a huge problem with it Handy! Maybe you wouldn't try it! That's you! I now know your opinion. Thanks for your input. I feel that a, fifty yard and in, head shot would be a humane kill on a small coyote.

Handy
March 4, 2005, 10:13 PM
Head shot? What happened to the lung shot of all your other posts?

pepsquad
March 4, 2005, 10:23 PM
use something bigger then a .22 although coyotes can be bothersome they are rather beauitful animals and deserve more then a slow death. :(

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 10:27 PM
What ammo would you recommend with the 16?

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 10:29 PM
i dont know why but it just never occured to me until someone brought it up.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 10:32 PM
VELOCITOR™ 22 LONG RIFLE

A speedy predator is loose and looking for varmints! Velocitor is the fastest 40 gr 22 Long Rifle on the market. It carries energy farther for plenty of long-range wallop. (part #0047)

FEATURES & BENEFITS:
40 grain gilded hollow point nose at 1435 ft/sec
22 percent greater energy at 100 yards than regular
high-speed hollow points
Special HP cavity design, derived from Speer® Gold Dot®
technology, retains virtually 100 percent bullet weight
Clean-burning propellants keep actions cleaner
Sure-fire CCI priming
Reusable plastic box with dispenser lid

USAGE:
Up to large varmints like coyotes

Handy
March 4, 2005, 10:35 PM
Thank you for not mouthing like a little punk pepsquad! I beg your pardon?!

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 10:41 PM
That was directed to you Handy! This is a forum! Voice your opinion! Nothing more! I already have heard your opinion! I'm not looking for an argument. If I was I wouldn't look for one here. Anybody can mouth over the internet! No one has to worry about having to back their mouth up online!

pepsquad
March 4, 2005, 10:42 PM
and TM being a hunting novice myself (rabbits fear me all other animals don't really care :rolleyes: ) I listen to the advice of the people who have been hunting before the continents split. I suggest you listen the people on this board, some people can appear testy but such is life, there is no need to become defensive. in my HUMBLE opinion that means just as much as you paid for it i would not shoot at anything bigger then a cat with a .22 and that my friend is that. :D
Sarah

Handy
March 4, 2005, 10:43 PM
But on this forum, you do have to worry about calling people "little punks". Please read the forum rules.

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/faq.php?faq=rules_catecory#faq_forum_rules

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 10:43 PM
I know that a lot of the time you can't go by what's on the box! I was thinking about trying em out on some yotes! All I'm asking for is opinions! Someone suggested my 16 would work better! I appreciate the suggestion! What ammo would be sufficient through my 16???

pepsquad
March 4, 2005, 10:44 PM
Federal makes very good steel buck shot, i hear it works wonders on everything. that is what a buddy of mine uses in his O/U

manufacturers lie on a regular basis, i don't trust what i read on the box.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 10:45 PM
I appreciate your advice! I'll look into buying some federal buckshot.

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 10:49 PM
i dont have to worry about calling you a little punk! like i said, it's the internet. i'm sorry if i offended you but that's the way you came off to me! im just asking opinions, not trying to make enemies. i'm sorry i called you that and i'm probably wrong about you anyways. i respect your opinion. it just seems like you have something against me.

Rich Lucibella
March 4, 2005, 10:53 PM
TM-
[Personal attack on Forum Member barely excused by Public Apology. No second chances on that.]

But. let's get straight on this, OK?
- Someone mentioned taking Coyote with a .22 LR.
- You, a self described hunting novice, would like to try it.
- You wish validation.

Is that the point?
Rich

redhawk41
March 4, 2005, 11:10 PM
"There is a very distinct difference between a RIMFIRE 22 and small calibre centre-fire rifles, often called CENTRE-FIRE 22's. Rimfire 22's are not considered adequate firearms by the majority of coyote hunters anywhere in North America, and are not permitted under authority of the coyote shooting licence in this province."

http://www.gov.nf.ca/env/wildlife/publications/coyotefile.pdf

trackman32
March 4, 2005, 11:20 PM
.22 rimfires are not restricted firearms for coyotes. That would include .22 LR

impact
March 4, 2005, 11:42 PM
In Texas if you think you can take a coyote with a pellet gun? you can. They are nongame animals and it is legal.

MTMilitiaman
March 5, 2005, 12:24 AM
I would like to point out that I have never shot a coyote with a .22 but merely wished to point out that if I were to attempt such a feat, it would be with the choosen ammunition. My post was more an approval of the ammunition than the caliber.
I think the debate here is not whether or not the .22 can kill a coyote but whether it can do it in a humane manner. I also discourage attempting any shot on the basis that you have more of them in the magazine. I try avoid taking any shot if I know I can't do it in one. That is not to say I don't appreciate magazine capacity, just that I don't use magazine capacity as an excuse to get myself into circumstances I shouldn't be in or take shots that I should pass.
I think if I could put a tight choke on the shotgun and find some good buckshot or slugs, I would use it instead.

Johnny Guest
March 5, 2005, 12:57 AM
The general consensus is that the .22 rimfire cartridge is NOT a sporting OR humane choice for shooting a coyote at 50 yards. I don't know most of the posters here personally, but at least a couple are known to me as very experienced hunters. Their advice is not to try it.

Even if you could make a carnial cavity head shot, there is too little energy remaining to ensure penetration into the sloping surfaces of the skull at that range. And, please remember, just any "head shot" is not a rapidly killing shot. There's plenty of energy there to break a jaw, though. Do you want to watch an animal, ANY animal, dash into the brush with a dangling, bloody, mandible, knowing that if it doesn't bleed out in the next few minutes, you've just condemned it to a lingering, painful, demise by starvation or infection?

You want to get into the camo gear and varmint calling, fine. You can probably get some 10 or 15 yard shots. I submit that your 16-ga shotgun with some #2 or BB shot might do an even better job at that range. I'd use lead shot for bettter energy and penetration.

A .22 LR will indeed KILL a lot of animals. But it frequently won't stop the larger ones quickly. Now, if my family was hungry, I bet I could provide a lot of meat from deer, cattle, horses . . . . In a survival situation, I might ignore not only humane considerations, but the law as well. (And, I don't pretend to know the Vermont law pertaining to coyotes.) But in a sporting situation, I will be a responsible sportsman. We owe it to the animals, even varmints, to provide a quick, clean demise.

Has this thread pretty well run its course?

Best,
Johnny

trackman32
March 5, 2005, 01:11 AM
I will more than likely not be shooting a coyote with anything but my 16 now thanks to you guys. I appreciate everyone's input.

tintcutter
March 5, 2005, 01:25 AM
I moved to a 22 magnum because the 22lr was not sufficient for one shot kills on dog size critters especially when they are running.

Angus MacFuff
March 5, 2005, 10:33 AM
I wouldn't think using a .22LR would be considered sporting. Jump up to a .223, .243, 22-250, .220 Swift or something along those lines.

Robert M Boren Sr
March 5, 2005, 11:24 AM
trackman32, Why ask for help if you already have your mind made up? Personally I wouldn't try it. I'd use my deer rifle before I use a 22 lr. It so happens that I have a 223 and that's what I'd use, but if I didn't have that, it would be my huntin rifle. You owe to the animal to give a quick humane kill. That's just my 2 cents worth.

ghettopettingzoo
March 5, 2005, 02:46 PM
You are going to hunt with a pistal or rifle not like it matters it doesn't do that much dammage. But i would get a rifle from new england fire arms or rossi in 223 or something bigger if i was gonna hunt something that could turn and run after being shot by such a small bullet.

Samuel_Hoggson
March 5, 2005, 02:54 PM
Perhaps some more context for my opinion would help. I did not mean to imply that a .22RF is what I would like to use as a coyote rifle.

It happens that I have young children, and every gun but one is locked up. The single exception is the 10-22 Ruger that my wife and I use for red squirrels and such. The mag, with mini-mag HPs, is kept hidden, gun unloaded. Still, it's the firearm most readily available to us.

We have lost more than 5 cats to coyotes over the past 10 years. Some years we have killing sprees where domestic cats disappear from the neighborhood over a month or so. Some of you may not like cats, but they keep the rat/red squirrel population down.

My wife has encountered brazen coyotes standing in the driveway by the road on at least two occasions. The rule here: see coyote, shoot coyote, don't sweat the details.

Thus, I'm not pursuing them as such....just protecting my turf. In other words, coyotes are targets of opportunity at our household.

There are much better weapons for coyotes than a .22LR. Having said that, I stand by my assertion that coyotes are not tenacious, and that the RF will work.

If asked for my opinion on an optimal round for short-range coyote work, I'd suggest something like a Hornet or .223. An acquaintance who has far more experience with coyotes than I (he takes well over a dozen each winter) uses a .270. He hunts them with dogs and often has to take a long shot at a running coyote.

Sam

whiskey
March 5, 2005, 08:44 PM
Well, the .22 LR may be a bad choice for 'yotes, but the ones I shot with it died right there. Yes most were shot in the head. If I had more gun with me when I saw them, I would have used it. I have killed plenty of wild/problem dogs with a .22lr at 50yards and all the yotes I have shot are very much like dogs. Yes the .22mag is a better choice, and the .223 or 220 swift is even better, and the .308 is better yet. Hell, I guess the 45/70 would be the best choice. This guy doesn't have all these guns. He does have a .22LR. If he makes his shots well and hits the 'yote in the head at less than 50 yards he has done the job well. A lot of "hunters" sit and shoot animals at 300 yards and consider themselvs great hunters, but they are just good shooters. Getting withing 50 yards of a 'yote and getting a clean head shot is a good hunter.

NOTE: THIS IS MY OPINION! THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO REPLACE YOUR OPINION. IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT...IGNORE IT.

Rich Lucibella
March 5, 2005, 09:18 PM
Getting withing 50 yards of a 'yote and getting a clean head shot is a good hunter.
Whiskey....once again, the Devil's in the details. VERY easy to get within 50 yards.....use a Rabbit Call, crosswind....easy day. My hunting partner, in defilade, stuck his head up a week ago after calling and literally had a "yote" run over his left shoulder. I've been as close; I'm certain you have.

He managed to get one startled round off...."yote" died on the spot. Had he been carrying a 22LR....well, just another gutshot "yote" spending the next three days trying to understand why food won't stay down.

Hunting is not a contest about who can kill with the weakest caliber. It's a contest about who can do it most efficiently and with the greatest respect. Even then, we'll have more than our share of bad shoots....that's a guarantee.

First Timers: Use Enough Gun. If you get good enough that it becomes "Too Much Gun", by all means downsize. Do Not start from the opposite end of the scale.....it'll only brand you as an amateur, unworthy of hunting with your betters. Much like the first time pistolero with a trick rig and tactical harness at a defensive pistol class, there's nothing worse than looking like a fool to your peers.

And call things you're about to kill by their names: Elk, Deer, Hog, Turkey, Lion, Leopard, Cape Buff....they deserve better than "yote" in the moment of your triumph.
YMMV.
Rich

TPAW
March 5, 2005, 10:07 PM
Try the .17 HMR Rimfire, it's devastating!

MTMilitiaman
March 6, 2005, 05:05 PM
And call things you're about to kill by their names: Elk, Deer, Hog, Turkey, Lion, Leopard, Cape Buff....they deserve better than "yote" in the moment of your triumph.

O please. I understand respect for the game you hunt and I have a great deal of it, but some people take it too far. Once on another forum a guy had the balls to criticize another hunter for taking a picture of a cleanly and legally harvested black bear in the back of his truck next to an empty Coke bottle. Most of us found this to be utterly rediculous. You abbreviating Cape Buffalo as "Cape Buff" is no different than abbreviating coyote as "yote," Rinocerous(sp) as "rino," Hippopotomous(sp) as "hippo," or Mule Deer as "muley" for that matter. Just, try to chill out.

werdman
March 6, 2005, 07:25 PM
and I'm not wanting to offend anyone with my first post, but seriously, lighten up a bit Rich.

The Body Bagger
March 6, 2005, 07:28 PM
Hunting is not a contest about who can kill with the weakest caliber. It's a contest about who can do it most efficiently and with the greatest respect. Even then, we'll have more than our share of bad shoots....that's a guarantee.

You mean its not like fishing!?!? ;)

FirstFreedom
March 6, 2005, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I tend to agree with Rich. I ainno expert, but I'd want a .22 WMR minimum for head shots (50-75 yards or less), a .22 hornet minimum for vitals shots at this short range. For medium/long range (out to 200-225 or so), I'd want a .223 rem. For very long-range, a .243 Win.

expeditionx
March 6, 2005, 08:20 PM
If you can drop a .22 lr into the coyotes eye socket in the direction of the lower brain stem area (medulla oblongata) then it would drop dead on the spot with no unnecesary suffering. Are you that skilled at 50 yards. Police snipers have to do roughly the same in a hostage situation out to 100yds max with a .308. Dead on the spot.

If your aiming at the coyote's vital area in the chest there is no garantee of a quick kill with a .22 lr. I shot a rabid racoon three times through the mid chest over the sternum with a .357 sig at 5yds only to see the racoon
live another 10 minutes til he bled to unconsciousness. The racoon in question was attacking a neighbors daughter when she played in he backyard.

If your attempting to use a .22 lr on a coyote make sure it drops right there dead. Head shot. No suffering. Very humane.

Rich Lucibella
March 6, 2005, 08:46 PM
werdman-
That WAS light. ;)

MT-
You are absolutely correct about the difference between respect and PC BS. If I need to prove my point, I'll upload the pic of my Baboon with cigarette still in it's mouth. ;) There's a time and place for everything, including off color humor.

I tend to respond based on the posts I see. When I read something like, "Well, the .22 LR may be a bad choice for 'yotes, but the ones I shot with it died right there." in an advice thread, I get a bit more serious in my response than I might otherwise be.
Rich

werdman
March 6, 2005, 08:49 PM
Half the people on this one are riding the fence!

whiskey
March 6, 2005, 09:01 PM
Rich, you are right, just like always. What was I thinking giving my personal experience in an advice thread? When the originator of the post ask if a .22LR was enough gun for COYOTES under 50 yards I should have ignored the question and touted the effectiveness of the 22-250 on COYOTES. No wait, I should have scolded him for asking the question, not explained why, and the touted the advantages of the 22-250 in COYOTES. Then I should have explained the process of anointing the dead body of the COYOTE so that it's soul might escape to the great hunting grounds in the sky.

beenthere
March 6, 2005, 10:00 PM
I see more coyote every year but have never shot one. Even rural in my area there's rarely more than 300 yards between dwellings. I bought a single shot .357 for coyote and will still limit my shots to 50 yards.Even a 22 CF can shoot much too far for me to feel comfortable. Yes, a 357 can ricochet but I feel it is applicable for the area. I wouldn't use my 10/22 unless it was the ONLY choice.

Rich Lucibella
March 6, 2005, 10:08 PM
OK, Whiskey. I think I owe you an apology....my post was a bit "puritanical". Honest apology offered.

Now let's deal calmly and honestly with the point:
Yours was that you've killed many wild dogs and coyotes with a 22LR....most head shots.

Not a single jaw broken? Not a single one taking lead and getting away? No frontal head shots without penetration? No misgivings? If you met a 15 year old with "nothing but a .22 LR", you'd introduce him to hunting by having him shoot coyote with it? These types of hunting stories always fascinate me, as I never get to hear them around hunting fires. They seem, however, to abound on the Internet.

So let me back up a bit and give you the chance to clarify? How many coyotes was that? How many head shots? And, again, they all dropped on the spot? Numbers, details and situations appreciated.

whiskey
March 7, 2005, 10:16 AM
Rich, fair enough. I have shot a whopping total of 4 coyotes with a .22 long rifle. I don’t remember how many dogs I have shot with a .22 long rife, but I estimate it to be around 6. 3 of the coyotes were shot in the head, in the ear. I shot the other in the neck. All of them dropped on the spot. NOT all the dogs I have shot dropped on the spot. Some of them were lung shots and they ran a shot distance across the pasture before dying. All died within sight of me. I am an ethical hunter and I lose sleep at night if I shot an animal I can’t recover. However, it happens regardless of the gun you use. I have lost deer to poor shot placement; I have lost hogs to poor shot placement. It is an unwelcome part of hunting. I have also shot a coyote with a 30-06 that did not drop on the spot, but rather ran around yelping until I could get another round in it. Coyotes were a menace to the chicken farm I worked on. They would sneak in and steal chickens and I made it my mission the rid the county of them. I always had a 10/22 with me for rats, so that’s what got used when a coyote showed up. I have tried hunting coyotes for spot, but have not had any success. I did not hunt them with a .22lr for sport. I do believe that a .22LR is plenty of gun for a coyote if the shooter is willing to take head shots under 50 yards. I do not believe that a coyote’s skull is thick enough to thwart a .22lr from head on. I may be wrong on this point as I have hot shot one straight on.

I understand your point about putting information out on the web for “novice” hunters. I did assume too much in believing that the hunter had enough hunting experience to know the lethality, and his personal limitations, with the .22LR.

Would I take a kid coyote hunting with a .22LR? No, most kids don’t have the experience/patience to wait for a clean shot.

It is very hard to get intent across over the internet. My intent was to relay experience and my opinion that in the right hands the .22LR was capable of cleanly taking coyotes. It was not my intent to convince anyone that the .22LR was the best coyote caliber.

Rich Lucibella
March 7, 2005, 10:37 AM
3 of the coyotes were shot in the head, in the ear. I shot the other in the neck. I've previously stated that this can be done....but few can do it. You're a known quantity around here, Whiskey, and I believe you can.

I am an ethical hunter and I lose sleep at night if I shot an animal I can’t recover. However, it happens regardless of the gun you use. Exactly where I was coming from. I have made this point also.

I always had a 10/22 with me for rats, so that’s what got used when a coyote showed up.Understandable and hardly unethical, IMHO.

It is very hard to get intent across over the internet. And I transgressed far worse than you in this regard. Thanks for clarifying.
Rich

artsmom
March 7, 2005, 02:24 PM
If a .22 long rifle is all you have, then that is all you have. Pick your shots accordingly.

I realize in some states it is the .22 long rifle or a shotgun. If this is the case, and you are only counting on 50 yards, then a 12 gauge 3" with Hevi-Shot "T" or #4 buck have killed thousands of coyotes here in Nebraska.

Make that tens of thousands.

whiskey
March 7, 2005, 02:46 PM
I have little experience with buckshot. I have read and read about the ballistics of the stuff and I have even attempted to use it on smaller hogs, but I have had dismal results. I have found that 00 and 000 buck loads are not the most consistent loads from my 12ga pump with Mod or Full chokes. I would not shoot at anything over 25 yards away with the stuff and I would definitely limit its use to light skinned game. As I stated I am not a big user of buckshot and that is simply because I have lost pigs using it. I do still carry a box when I am in “shotgun only” pig country because I believe it IS good at 10 feet on just about anything in North America.

Al Thompson
March 9, 2005, 10:09 PM
Having smacked a decent number of critters with a .22LR, best I can say is that it's like killing them with an ice pick. Doable? Yes. Doable for an inexperianced hunter? Fraught with peril.. Make sure your rifle is really well zero'ed with that load.

I'd recommend the shotgun. Several USDA wildlife control folks I know really like # 4 or #1 buck for those chores.

missourigunner
March 10, 2005, 07:02 PM
Without offending anyone, and I apologize if I do, I agree with Rich. :) :)

RCPractitioner
March 12, 2005, 04:11 AM
I have killed 2 coyotes with a .22lr, 2 with 00 buck, and quite a few with my .223. So yes it can definitely be done. I tend to agree with everyones comments on shot placement, we hunt them for sport around here and I have seen them hit with a 7mm mag and not drop instantly. As a matter of fact we have had to fight our way through the brush to get to a couple to finish them off. I sure wish we could get them to the 50yd range around here again, we have hunted them so heavily that they are pretty shy now and most of our shots are between 100-250 yards. Thats calling them in too!

themikeman
March 14, 2005, 08:03 PM
50 yards not a prob

just aim for the eye.
aim small miss small

jonathon
March 14, 2005, 08:14 PM
50 yards easily. We used to sit out on the porch with a spot light. Bait the coyote with something that is nice 'n stinky since they are scavengers. Hit them with the spot light and they freeze looking at it. A headshot is relatively easy from there.

Though, the fact that people have moved out my way recently limits what we can do as far as pest control goes... Still got the hill to shoot into though, thankfully.

Jseime
April 4, 2005, 07:57 PM
when i said that the velocitor would kill a coyote that is going on limited experiece and what the company claims about them. with a perfect shot and perfect condidtions i would take the shot on a coyote with a .22lr velocitor and i know it would work.... but given a choice id be carrying a .243 Win. with a 75 grain ballistic tip and a 3-9X40 scope. if .22lr was all i had id definetly be picking appropriate shots and letting more coyotes than i wished go. i think ill stick with my .270 and little 100 grain core-lokts for yotes.

Rich Lucibella
April 4, 2005, 09:05 PM
50 yards not a prob

just aim for the eye.
aim small miss small
And here we go again. ;) Hey, TMM. You're talking about a 1" square piece at 50 yards, with a 22LR, from a field position. I've got $1,000 that's just burning a hole in my pocket. I (or a stand-in) will come to wherever you are and you can perform that feat on video.

5 out of 5 in the "eye" at 50 yards, from a field position and you take home a grand. Miss one and I take home $500. I'm giving you 2:1 odds for a shoot that you call, "Not a prob". I'm not arguing that this can't be done....it can. I've just never seen anyone do it consistently for money or blood.

Am I on?
Rich

JohnKSa
April 4, 2005, 10:28 PM
If a .22 long rifle is all you have, then that is all you have. Pick your shots accordingly.I think there are different rules for pest control vs hunting. True hunting means that the animal deserves the consideration of a caliber that is likely to end things quickly even with less than perfect placement. Even so, that doesn't give the hunter carte blanche as far as picking a shot. Pest control is a little less restrictive, IMO, but there are still limits.

In a pest control situation, if all I had was a .22LR and I was presented a good shot on a coyote, I'd take it. I wouldn't intentionally go hunting coyote with a .22LR.

The most important part of the above quote, and the one that many folks unfortunately disregard was the last 4 words. "Pick your shot accordingly."

The other side of the coin is that in a pest control situation, if all I had was a .22LR and I wasn't presented with a good shot, I'd let him go. Range really isn't the main consideration, either. Even being inside 50 yards doesn't ensure that you will be presented with a good shot.

jonathon
April 4, 2005, 10:44 PM
Since I use a 10/22 to shoot coyotes... I simply squeeze a rapid succession of 3 shots into wherever the target of opportunity is on the coyote, head or chest. Usually drops them. From what I know, the .22LR tends to fish tail upwards and do some damage so. I've shot 6 coyotes, and only one of them didn't drop on the spot.

Raymond Losli
April 4, 2005, 10:49 PM
The Rules seem rather loss and vague. For a man putting up, 1-G. of his hard earned money.

Please clarify ( field position) , Prone, Offhand , anything other than off the bench. ?

One Square inch @ 50 yrds.... does on the line count as a Hit ? or does it have to inside the line ?

Are you giving him the option of using a, $139 sale special weapon & $1.69 box LR Ammo
Or a quality Target model weapon & Match LR ammo ?

Rich Lucibella
April 4, 2005, 11:15 PM
The Rules seem rather loss and vague. For a man putting up, 1-G. of his hard earned money.

Please clarify ( field position) , Prone, Offhand , anything other than off the bench. ?
But the Money wasn't at all in question, was it?

Field position for coyote, Raymond. Offhand, Kneel, California Kneel or Sit....and I'm open to other FIELD position calls. You can't hunt Coyote from the prone; they're likely to take a piece of your butt as they run over you from behind.

One Square inch @ 50 yrds.... does on the line count as a Hit ? or does it have to inside the line ?I'm a generous guy. Break the line; Take my money. I've just increased the real estate for a hit by 22%.

Are you giving him the option of using a, $139 sale special weapon & $1.69 box LR Ammo
Or a quality Target model weapon & Match LR ammo ? I don't recall asking about his platform or ammo. Like I said, I'm a generous guy with money burning a hole in my pocket. I'm not asking a World Class feat. Just for one hunter to do what he says is "no problem".

OTOH, if someone were to tell me they needed a month to get ready for such a shoot, I'd suspect a new rifle purchase and lots of practice. That would not do. I'm in Dallas tonight. I have my own plane. I can pretty much reach any area of the nation tomorrow or the next day.

Lets say, at TMM's call, before Monday the 11th. 10 minutes work for $1,000. Fair enough?

Bet remains.....unless, of course, you'd like to act as stand-in.
Rich

Raymond Losli
April 5, 2005, 12:17 AM
I do not shoot Comp. and don't know how they Kneel or sit down south there in sunny California but
I have done that feat many time during any day's sitting, while shooting .22
I shoot Rimfire @ least twice a week & have also had a .22 in my hands since I was (4) that's Four years old.
That is not a great feat of accuracy & the chances of me winning that bet are most likely in my Favor / no brag and especially you being so generous and giving line-shots as a Go.
I am not trying to challenge your beef with Who-ever pissed you off .
I can shoot .22 very competently & can make 5 out of 5 in 1 Sq inch & I aint no Ringer @ least bare minimum, 50/50.
I can Not vouch for the marksmanship of the other gentleman though. I also don't give a Big-Rats-Ass either.
That is up to him to, BACK his OWN MOUTH UP.

Johnny Guest
April 5, 2005, 01:32 AM
Mr. Losli - -
for a man with no stake in the proposed shootin' match, you ask a lot of questions. Are you undertaking to be themikeman's manager or something? ;)

If, as you say, you don't vouch for tmm's marksmanship, and really just don't care, why all the concern for shooting position, gear, and ammunition?

Or, with your substantial experience, are you asking to buy into the challenge? (Though the stakes aren't that large, for the distance from Dallas to Oregon.) As an aside, though - - the pressure is really different when there is substantial money (or blood) at risk. :D

Best regards,
Johnny

Raymond Losli
April 5, 2005, 03:04 AM
I was just inquiring about the rules of the .22 accuracy Challenge. because it seemed rather open ended.
I also don't see why the coments of, themikeman chapped Rich's ass so much. It just got my curiosity up is all.
To tell you the truth since Rich's ass was getting so Chapped on the, themikeman's comments to .22 accuracy. I thought it was rather funny.
I did not see the harm in adding my 2 cents and pushing a few buttons........ ;)
If someone would actually bet a G-$ against my 500 that I could Not (do the deed) with such loose rules, There is a large possibility that I could be up an easy 500.
Or.... maybe I am just a big bag of wind, like Rich thinks the themikeman is & I don't know my ass from a hole in the ground.... I know you, about as well as you know me..... :) ... Just my .02 cents.

oneeyeross
April 5, 2005, 03:04 AM
Will it work? Absolutely. Would it be the best? No.

I've killed brother Coyote with a .22. It was not the ideal thing to do, but what was necessary, and the only thing available to me at the time. They don't die quick, and they don't die clean. NOT a good thing.

12 gauge would have worked at the range I fired from, but I didn't have one then. I have fixed that issue.

(Another advantage of the 12 gauge with buck shot, you get 9 #00 pellets heading down range in a pattern.)

Rich Lucibella
April 5, 2005, 08:15 AM
Raymond-
First calm down; then reread my posts. It doesn't appear that it's my butt that's "chapped" here. Nor does it appear that it's my buttons that have been pushed. ;)

I've already stated that this is not a World Class feat. You can do it? Good on ya. On a good day, so can I. I just wouldn't try it on a living varmint with a 22LR. Said varmint deserves more respect than that, unless as has been stated, you're involved in pest control and all you have is that .22.

On to my issue with TMM's claim:
Off handed "that's a no brainer" comments like these, encourage people to believe, because they can hit stationary squares of paper, they can just as easily hit the "eye" of a moving, bobbing, weaving coyote. This leads to unnecessary wounding; which in turn gives the (apparently few) hunters among us a very bad name.

I'm not against varminting; I engage in it regularly. And I have wounded more animals than I find personally acceptable. But I don't court such error.

So, when a recently registered Member refers to feats of daring-do as "no prob", my response is simple: Show Me.

Finally, I'd appreciate it if you'd refrain from putting words in my mouth...ever. OK? I've not stated that TheMikeMan is a "bag of wind"; you have. I simply challenged him to do what he states is easy. That's called a gentleman's wager; not a High Noon call out.
Rich

Sarge
April 5, 2005, 08:41 AM
Trackman-

I have killed several coyotes with the cheapest .22 LR solids I could find; the blasted things had gotten so brazen that they had made of with a couple of our kids kittens, so I really didn't give a damn if the coyotes particularly enjoyed the killing process. I would have strangled them if I could have gotten my hands on them.

Hit once through the shoulders with the aforementioned load, they nearly always hunched up and bolted for 60-70 yards, and then plunked over dead as a hammer. Penetraton was complete whether or not ribs or shoulder bones were struck.

I have seen deer hit with the .44 magnum & .30-06 react just about the same, so I don't consider the .22's performance on coyotes "poor" or inhumane by any standards.

Rich Lucibella
April 5, 2005, 08:53 AM
Sarge-
Agreed as to all you say. But let me ask you this:
If you were going to introduce one the neighbor's kids to hunting Coyote, would you select the .22 LR for the task?
Rich

Sarge
April 5, 2005, 09:15 AM
If you were going to introduce one the neighbor's kids to hunting Coyote, would you select the .22 LR for the task?
Rich

I'd have to honestly answer that one- "It depends".

Depends on the age/experience of the lad or lass in question, what other firearms they could handle or had available, how heavily settled or noise-sensitive the area where we are hunting is, etc. etc.

My first concern would be to make sure the youngster could and would handle their firearm safely. Second order of business would be to insure that they could shoot their firearm well. Third would be selecting the most suitable load (HP's, Stingers or whatever) for it, and insuring that their gun was re-zeroed, if necessary. After that you take them out & get them used to sitting still and waiting (which ain't no small feat).

So I guess the answer is "yes", in certain cases and under controlled circumstances. If the kid could shoot a .223 well and the area we were hunting in would tolerate that, I sure wouldn't take his poodle-shooter away and hand him a .22 LR.

My earlier answer was directed to Trackman's original question, and IMO and experience the .22 LR is "sufficient". It is not ideal, but it will certainly kill them.

Rich Lucibella
April 5, 2005, 09:39 AM
Sarge-
I agree mostly....again. Now look back at Trackman's opening query in this thread. I think my answer for his case (or mine) is, "If you're planning a Coyote hunt, use more gun".

YMOV
Rich

Sarge
April 5, 2005, 09:55 AM
I'll stick by my answer.

Long Path
April 5, 2005, 12:12 PM
I must admit that I have, in the distant past, taken a .22 bolt gun out looking for coyote. I was a teenager, and was assured that, with careful shooting (this was a very accurate rifle and my hunting host had an inflated opinion of my abilities) at close range, it was fine. Even then, however, I questioned it. I never got to try it, as I moved on to centerfires for coyotes later.

Now, I can fully understand why one would wish to use a .22 LR for pest control. Quite often, pests need to be popped in suburban or residential-rural areas, where the sound needs to be abated. We live in odd times, in which the use of a noise-attenuating device for this purpose would be considered criminal.

May I suggest looking at the .22 Hornet? This is one of the most efficient rounds ever created, when it comes to powder burned vs. energy output. (With the right load, a pound of powder will give you 1,000 rounds!) Likewise, it's one of the quietest rounds, when comparing noise vs. energy. The apparent noise of a .22 Hornet pushing a 45g bullet at 2690 fps is not considered much --if any-- louder than a .22 Magnum Rimfire pushing a 40g bullet at 1910fps. You can even buy a 35g loading at 3100fps! 50 rounds for about the cost of a 20rd box of regular centerfire rifle ammo. I bought mine in the form of an NEF Handi Rifle for around $200 new.

Now, as to Rich's challenge-- I'm utterly astonished that this isn't being jumped on, but quick. A varmint's eyeball is only about 3/4" across or less, and Rich is giving a full inch, plus most of the diameter of the bullet. Comparatively, this should not only be "not a prob" but easy money!

For the record, I think I could do it... sometimes. That's the thing, isn't it? This allows no makeups, no "oopsies," no "do-overs." While I'm pretty sure I could hit a 1" circle (or was it a square?) 5 consecutive times if you gave me ten tries, I'm NOT certain that I could do it the very first time, from a field position. Maybe back in my college rimfire competition days. Now, however, I'd have to admit that it would be a luck bet. (Which is the very point my friend R. Luci is making.)

Raymond Losli
April 5, 2005, 12:29 PM
Rich:
"Off handed "that's a no brainer" comments like these, encourage people to believe, because they can hit stationary squares of paper, they can just as easily hit the "eye" of a moving, bobbing, weaving coyote. This leads to unnecessary wounding; which in turn gives the (apparently few) hunters among us a very bad name."

Hey Rich no big deal, just goofing on ya (just a little)
NO ONE, I KNOW, hunts Coyote by planning to... "shoot them in the eye-ball @ 50 yrds".
I agree with the majority of Posts on this thread. - No - Do Not, use a .22 for coyote. (if you can help it)
Better to have a little more behind the trigger than the Bare Minimum to get it done.

Now, If you were to take a Coyote and Duck Tape him up to a stick @ 50 yrds and prop his eye-lid up with a tooth pick.
This will be about the ONLY way most people will be able to shoot Coyote in the Eye @ 50 yrds...... :)

Long Path
April 6, 2005, 10:11 PM
Anybody seen or heard from themikeman ? He seems to have just disappeared. . . :confused:

:D

22-rimfire
April 6, 2005, 11:45 PM
When I was younger, one of my big past times was to hunt wood chucks with a 22 rifle. It was head shots or nothing, so that the animal didn't needlessly suffer. There was no hunting season on them. The activity required learning to sneak up on the chuck, lots of practice with a 22, learning their habits, and careful realistic aiming and shooting within no more than 75 yards, preferably 50 yds or less. (And no shots under 15 yards.) It was great fun. I literally only aimed for an eye or an ear and usually hit percisely that location (give or take a 1/2 inch).

Taking the same approach to Coyotes... they are more wary, but if you limit the kind of shot you take... it is feasible with a 22LR, but a 22 magnum or larger would be more appropriate.

MassHunter2190
April 29, 2005, 07:17 PM
Soo...have you taken/shot at any coyotes with your .22lr? What was the result? Update?

And yes, a .22lr will kill a coyote a 50 yards, maybe more. But it probably wouldnt drop on the spot unless it was a head shot. I don't remember if you stated you had a 12 gauge or not, but if you do, I'd use that instead.

UT_Air_Assault
May 1, 2005, 05:33 PM
I'm a rancher with a huge coyote problem. I'll kill them with anything I can find (I even threw rocks at one once. Doesn't work every well..............) I've killed them with everything from a 12 guage shotgun to a Beretta 92FS. What I've found works the best is a .223 (preferably in a semi-auto for quick follow up shots if you have a pack of them. I use an AR-15 with a bi-pod :D ). But what I mostly use is my AK-47 loaded with cheap HPs. Since this is my Ranch rifle, I always have it with me, and when I hit them in the chest they have never made it more than 50 feet.
A .22 is better than nothing, but I'd go for a .223.

P.S.- I know a guy who likes to use a suppresed UZI (yes, full-auto) to hunt them, and apparently it works pretty well.

stevelyn
May 1, 2005, 06:25 PM
Yes. Under 50 yrds with CCI Velocitors without question. I would still pick my shot and pass on marginal ones.

butch50
May 27, 2005, 09:29 PM
Oddly enough the best coyote killing rifle I have ever seen is a standard old 30/30 lever action. It rolls them right over on the spot, is quick and easy to aim and well just does the job without any fuss.

When I was a youngster our school bus driver kept a 30/30 leaning there next to him. We were way out in the boonies and coyotes were such a problem that there was a bounty on them. He would often see one while driving the bus and stop and pick them off quite nicely up to 150 yards at times, open sights of course, and sometimes running. We never saw one run off from the spot they were hit, ever.

On a side note the drivers side of the bus always had all of the passenger windows all the way up, even in 100 plus degree heat, caused he chewed tobacco. Hows that for country?

locked'n'cocked
May 27, 2005, 09:35 PM
the best cayote rifle? my .300 win mag :D . if i want to put some sport in it i use my .223.

stevelyn
May 27, 2005, 10:22 PM
I shoot stray dogs at 50 yrds and under with a .22. Can't see how whackin' a yote at that distance would be any different.