PDA

View Full Version : Pardon me, is there a 30s era LEO 3 gun?

Sir William
February 9, 2005, 11:55 PM
I shoot CAS. I shoot PPC. I shoot bowling pins. I just shoot! LOL I wonder if there is an organized depression-era, gangster period, law enforcement 3 gun anywhere? I thought maybe I would be interested. Say a Colt Police Positive, Winchester 97 and/or Model 12 or SxS and pistol caliber lever action. BARs and Thompsons in full auto side matches would be cool. Period clothing and leather. That sounds like a fun day to me. I have seen GAS-Gangster Action Shooting and it looked like fun. Wild Bunch CAS matches are. WASA might be similar.

RickB
February 10, 2005, 12:20 PM
I'd be game . . . if the third gun was a Thompson.
Seriously, you might be on to something. Cowboys have their Wild Bunch stages, IPSC now has a Heavy Metal division for those who like G.I. stuff; maybe IDPA, if/when there are some 3-gun rules, will have a "Roaring Twenties" division. GAS? I'd avoid anything "gangster", unless it's going to be TEC9s, shot homey-style.

ted murphy
February 10, 2005, 04:17 PM
We talked about doing a "Jelly Bryce" match that was pistol (S&W M&P, Colt Police Positive, Plain 1911) Shotgun and Tommy gun but have never done anything with it.

Ted

Sir William
February 10, 2005, 06:37 PM
I talked to some CAS BOLD members about this too. The Benevolent Order of Law Dawgs-BOLD. Most of them like the idea. I guess some rules discussion might be good. ?

guy sajer
February 10, 2005, 10:59 PM
Sounds like a very good idea . The period dress would be popular for both men and women I think . :)

...I'd avoid anything "gangster", unless it's going to be TEC9s, shot homey-style.

That's "gangsta" ;)

Archie
February 12, 2005, 11:19 AM
My idea was for an "Explorer's Match" like Roy Chapman Andrews or Indiana Jones. Basically the same era and equipment. All firearms, cartridges and leathergear must be designed prior to 1940. All competitors have to have an appropriate hat.

Handguns, either pistols or revolvers, must be original sights, no metal work modifications.

Rifles, manually operated (bolt, lever or single shot) bottle-neck round. No modified magazines. Original iron sights or period scopes only.

Shotguns, any action style, as long as it fits into the 'era' restriction.

Part of the trick to this is to design stages that test shooters, not equipment or round count.

fal308
February 13, 2005, 04:11 PM
I picked up a brochure somewhere several years ago about a Roaring Twenties shooting group, similar to CAS-type shoots nowadays. If I recall from the brochure they dressed up in the style of the 1920s and used double action .38s, Super .38, Remington .351, lever action rifles, pump shotguns, A5s, etc. . I don't think it ever went anywhere though as I could never find any follow up info then. I was interested in it enough to see if it was something I wanted to try.

Sir William
February 13, 2005, 11:50 PM
That was GAS, Gangster Action Shooting. It didn't go over. The feedback I have got is that the period should spread from 1900 to 1959. The folks I have heard from think there should basically be any LEO, military, private security and detectives/plainclothes allowed in. Sherlock Holmes anyone? RCMP mounties? A display with restored historic police cruisers was suggested. Weather is the big thing. West coast leads again.