PDA

View Full Version : FN P-90

Kodiac
October 15, 1998, 04:00 PM
I have a new love, and it's neither Blonde nor H&K. The FN P-90 has got to be the best new entry gun I have seen since the MP-5K PDW came out. It seems to take the best of all the entry guns on the world, blend them up, and serve it with a twist. .223 balistics, subsonic option, in a super short, compact package that makes the MP-5 look tired. I have got to get one. Could probably make a good brush deer gun for sporting purposes with the right load.

October 15, 1998, 06:53 PM
I don't know about an entry weapon, but in it's designed role as a PDW for troops who need compact weapons, this thing looks hot!

50 round magazine, defeats Kevlar helmets and steel plates at 500 meters, and it just looks damn cool.

The promotional pictures I have seen have shown it being used by vehicle crewmembers, and it looks something really comfortable and effective to use. It also made an appearance in Spawn, but I wouldn't see that movie again for this... http://www.thefiringline.com/ubb/wink.gif

I wouldn't mind having one....

Spark

Kodiac
October 16, 1998, 08:35 AM
There seems to be a trend in Europe to make small arms really fancy... P90, Styr's guns, and they are all great guns... What new US made gun do have that is made for looks and ergonimics - The Hi Point Carbine... *SHUDDER* I think I may be feeling ill here. HK's new G36K may be the best new battle rifle in the last decade and a half. I would sure love to have one. Or HK's new over-under 20MM/.223 Smart Gun system. Wow. That is the stuff of Sci-Fi made for real. You actually saw SPAWN? Did you lose a bet? I am all for action movies - but that was too comic bookish for me...

October 16, 1998, 02:58 PM
Actually, I saw Spawn because I liked the comic book, but was thoroughly dissappointed in the movie....

As for the G36, god that thing has me drooooooling! Stupid 94 Law, hasn't helped crime anyway, and now I can't have a G36!!!

As for the HK OICW, yeah, that looks pretty sharp too, but as a former guy on the ground, I can't help but wonder what happens when the batteries die, or a contact gets dirty or something.

Spark

fal308
October 18, 1998, 08:42 AM
Kodiak
All politics aside there is a new American kid on the block. Only we can't play with him. Have you seen the Ruger? Looks like the Steyr. Came out about 3 or 4 years ago, I believe.

Kodiac
October 18, 1998, 06:55 PM
I was a grunt in the Army, Light I, Ranger, got into the 19 SF group ( the only NG SF group) and then MP. As such I now what it is like to have my weapon full of pond scum and mud, sitting in an LP/OP trying to remain perfectly still waiting for the OPFOR to pass while at the same time having icicles form on the brim of my head gear. Having been there and done that, and knowing H&K - I would be the first to take the new batteries not included weapon! (but I would bring a couple extra batteries with me) 8-)

A Ruger BullPup? No I haven't seen it. The new Ruger Tactical Rifle thing? The one that looks like a big 10/22? No - I usually "Just Say No" to Rugers, unless it's a Revolver. And even then I usually say no to revolvers... Long Range Handgun hunting? Hey, there is the Desert Eagle... Precission BullsEye shooting? Hey there is the Sig P210...

October 18, 1998, 07:45 PM
Well, I never got tabbed, nor was I ever an operator, but, I spent my time falling out of perfectly good airplane's, defending sand, building/blowing up stuff, etc, all the fun of an airborne combat engineer. I carried a M16 or M203, SAW, 60, M9, 1911 (when in Korea), and a few neat things when on OPFOR.

But, as a guy on the ground, I'm a bit leery of anything that high tech until I've had the chance to test it myself.

It's made by HK, so that means that it's well engineered, but, still, I worry about any weapon that depends on a laser or other high tech gadget for it to be used. With this, if the laser goes inop, or the batteries die, or you are blocked by a leaf, you can't range properly for the 20mm grenade launcher.

I'm sure all my worries would be buried if I could get hands on with one of $10,000 beauties, but until then, I'll have to armchair quarterback it.

Spark

CQBArms
October 9, 2005, 08:13 AM
Laws in 1994 had nothing to do with your inability to own a post sample machine gun.
(gratuitous old thread bump as it seems the "in thing")

"As for the G36, god that thing has me drooooooling! Stupid 94 Law, hasn't helped crime anyway, and now I can't have a G36!!!"

p99guy
October 9, 2005, 10:28 AM
"defeats Kevlar helmets and steel plates at 500 meters, and it just looks damn cool."

I cetainly agree with the looks cool part and have a PS90 already paid for, and own a five seven pistol..but the 500 yard thing is more than a little incorrect.
it can do 48 layers of kevlar at 200meters with SS190 and a CRISAT plate at 150 meters.

ReconDoc242
October 10, 2005, 10:58 AM
the p90 is an okay gun, but it takes a bit of time to get used to it. I remember the first time i used it i had a bit of difficulty getting used to the selector switch wheel. Overall a great gun, but i still prefer the good old MP5 over it.(its a comfort thing, I guess).
-Doc

USP.40
October 10, 2005, 11:56 AM
What about the PDW/MP7 that looks real neat ;)? I'd love to have one.

OBIWAN
October 10, 2005, 02:45 PM
"223 balistics"

Uh...no.....it doesn't!

Not even close

Half the projectile weight at 3/4 the velocity

Neat platform....mediocre round

Stiletto
October 10, 2005, 10:42 PM
5.7x28 SS190 tissue destruction > 9x19 FMJ tissue destruction
5.7 recoil < 9 recoil
P90 fire rate > Everything Since The PPSh-41
P90 effective range > Every Other Submachine Gun

Sounds good to me. *shrug*

DmL5
October 13, 2005, 04:29 PM
You forgot ergonomics, magazine capacity, and muzzle blast Stiletto. :)

-DmL