PDA

View Full Version : 9mm subrifles?

Nightcrawler
November 16, 2000, 01:40 AM
A friend of mine is looking to buy a lightweight 9mm carbine for plinking. He's a fan of police submachine guns, but figures a nine-mil carbine is the closest he can get until he get's on a SWAT team! Anyhow, he owns two Hi-Point 9mms, and the things are accurate as all heck, but, they have a 10-round magazine limit, since they weren't introduced until after the ban. So what pre-ban carbines can he get? Is Feather still making their AT-9? Can anybody give me their website, if they have one? www.featherusa.com (http://www.featherusa.com) isn't it, btw. Are there any other decent 9mm carbines out there, that can take hi-cap mags?

[This message has been edited by Nightcrawler (edited November 16, 2000).]

GI Joe
November 16, 2000, 03:46 AM
Nightcrawler:

Have you tried a Kel Tec Sub 9? It is a rifle with folding barrel. It probably weighs less than 5 lbs. You can modify the grips to take popular handgun magazines like Glock, Smith & Wesson, and others. I have mine on order still, but I bought 2 33 round Glock 17 mags. I have a Calico Liberty rifle that takes a 100 round helical magazine, but it is difficult to tension it just right to work properly. It also costs about $900.

Nukem
November 16, 2000, 06:36 AM
Try a 9mm upper on an AR. Mine takes 32 round Sten mags.

Point Blank
November 16, 2000, 08:33 AM
Ruger PC9 ??It uses the P(9mm) series mags.Can get factory 15 rounders,or non factory 20/30 rounders!! Sharp looking little carbine,want one myself!! (Hear me Santa)!!!!!!!!!!!!

M700
November 16, 2000, 03:12 PM
I have a PC9 carbine....its a great gun...you can get preban mags and its accurate but if lightweight is high on your freinds list...this isnt the gun.

jtduncan
November 17, 2000, 07:07 PM
I have a Kel Tec Sub-9 carbine with about 4,000 rounds through it in the past 4 months. Great gun and real accurate out to 100 yards. I shoot quarter-sized patterns at that distance. Used ones range from $409 to about $460 around here. It's built and looks like a mini- AR-15.

The Glock and the SW grip configurations are the most popular with Glock leading.

I have a Glock grip and it accepts Glock hi-caps. You can 33-rounders by Scherer for $75 each and with a wiggle they fit just fine.

So if you have Glocks, the Sub-9 is for you. Plus it folds in half to about 14" and you have all kinds of accessories straight from Kel Tec. Good gun and good service.

AT is too small a company for me to trust but I hear their guns are okay.

Marlin Camp 9s are okay but not too accurate.

The Ruger PC9 is sweet but not compact and you'll pay a premium for it.

I'd go Sub-9.

Westincar
November 17, 2000, 07:22 PM
I have a RAV-45 (the bigger brother to the AT-9 but in 45ACP) and like it for the most part. I also have a Ruger PC-9 and a Olympic Arms 9mm AR. If I had to choose between the three I would go with the Ruger. Cost the least and is as much fun to shoot.

I do have to say though, that the current products made by featherusa is much better than the old company. Also, there tech support is great. Any time I have had a problem, they get the parts out to me the next day before they receive the broken part. Really a top notch outfit now (not that Ruger and Oly aren't!).

--Westincar

MPower
November 18, 2000, 07:36 PM
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=637092&a=4646604&p=31566246&Sequence=0&res=high
Colt 6450 Preban 9mm Carbine. :)

Nightcrawler
November 18, 2000, 07:44 PM
The gun in question isn't for me. My friend matthew likes the 9-mils. I'm a .45 man myself. Anyhoo, after four months of Army MP basic/AIT, he's utterly sick of anything that even resembles and AR. Besides that, ARs are really expensive.