PDA

View Full Version : Bore snake and Otis cleaning kits. Do they really work?

Sling Shot
November 6, 2000, 09:45 AM
Just like the title says. I plan on purchasing a couple of Ruger 10/22's for my two oldest boys Christmas presents. I like to keep a barrel clean on any firearm that I own. The 10/22 has to be cleaned from the muzzle end unless a hole is drilled to accomodate cleaning with a rod from the breech. I prefer not to have a hole drilled, so I am stuck with cleaning from the muzzle with a rod, or using a bore snake or a Otis cleaning kit. Sling Shot

Dave McMillan
November 6, 2000, 11:05 AM
I've been using the Otis kit for several years now. Sometimes I start to use a rod, but the Otis kit is so much easier, I always seem to end up using it. There's no way to reverse a brush inside the bore (a no-no), and you can clear semi-autos, lever actions and bolt actions all from the breech to the muzzle (the preferred method, though typically not practical on some types).

It comes with special slotted patches that are multi-use, but you can use standard patches with the slotted tip.

I use a bore snake at the start of cleaning to get the most junk out prior to final cleaning with the Otis kit. I soak the bore with a solvent patch first, pull the snake through a few times, then final clean and oil with the Otis kit.

As you can tell, I'm a fan.

Dave

Dave R
November 6, 2000, 01:05 PM
I use a bore snake exclusively for cleaning the bore of my 10/22 (also my Marlin Model 60). Very convenient, and seems to do a real good job. I recommend it.

Herodotus
November 6, 2000, 09:29 PM
Yes, bore snakes really work.
There has been a lot of discussion on them in the past on this board. To summarize briefly and uncomprehensively, the majority use them at the range/in the field to clean bores that are fouling, then use regular cleaning equipment at home. There are some that don't like them and some that use them exclusively.

blades67
November 6, 2000, 11:41 PM
I have a Bore Snake for every caliber I own.

------------------
Guns cause crime like spoons cause Rosie O'Donnell to be fat!

I hunt, therefore I am.

MAD DOG
November 7, 2000, 01:12 PM
I recently tried to use an Otis for removing a squibbed bullet that was barely lodged in the throat of an FAl. The defective round was factory remington hard ball .308

The Otis failed miserably, and yes, I followed the instructions. I also find it cumbersome in the field, with the multitudinous small parts and gizmos requisite to its function.

I now keep a hard rod in the truck box, and carry boresnakes in the day pack. the Boresnake is faster and easier to use, and gives great results.

Bruegger
November 7, 2000, 01:57 PM
I have a bore snake for my 12 guage. It cleaned my bbl to a frightening brightness. Can't vouch for how well it would work on very heavily corroded rifled bbls, tho.

John/az2
November 7, 2000, 06:52 PM
What's a bore snake, and where on the net to see/get one?

------------------
John/az
"When freedom is at stake, your silence is not golden, it's yellow..." RKBA!

www.cphv.COM (http://www.cphv.COM) & www.handguncontrol.NET (http://www.handguncontrol.NET) are being sued by Handgun Control, Inc.!

See the "cease and desist" letter here: www.cphv.com/lawsuit.html (http://www.cphv.com/lawsuit.html)

Sling Shot
November 7, 2000, 07:12 PM
John: Here is a link to the boresnake. http://www.butler-creek.com/m_shooting_p.asp?grpky=232
Sling Shot

Bruegger
November 7, 2000, 07:16 PM
John/az2 -- You can find them at almost any gun store and save yourself the shipping. Even WallyMart sells them. They're about $12-15. Cool thing is they're "color-coded" so you don't mistake your .22 boresnake for your 8-guage one ;)

FireForged
November 7, 2000, 07:59 PM
I give the bore-snake a thumbs up!!! I use the traditional brush to loosen up all the deposits then run the snake through a couple of times.. VERY CLEAN INDEED!!!! I just bought a back up 30 cal snake today at Wal-Mart for $12.

Skorzeny
November 8, 2000, 03:23 PM
I use Bore Snake for barrels that I cannot clean from the breech side.

However, I do have a question. If one runs the Bore Snake through more than once, wouldn't once risk putting the now Bore Snake-embedded debris back into the barrel?

Skorzeny

------------------
For to win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the supreme excellence. Sun Tzu