PDA

View Full Version : Any bad experiences with a Sig P220?

mathman
January 24, 2005, 01:39 AM
I am real close to buying a Sig P220, as I've mentioned in other threads, and want to know if anyone has had any negative experiences with it. I'm not talking about preferences...I'm talking about performance. I want to get the standard model as I like the way that it feels...the stainless is heavy. I realize that the stainless is going to be more durable in the long run, but from what I've seen and heard, the standard model stands up to many thousands of rounds as well. Any thoughts or experiences?

JSandi
January 24, 2005, 01:43 AM
I’ve owned three standard 220’s and a 220ST, I currently own the 220ST and a standard model, both are for lack of a better word flawless. All that I’ve owned not a single problem, they will swallow anything you can feed’em, feel great and carry well even for a guy such as myself, 6 foot 185 pounds.

There is no more reliable autoloader in .45 IMHO.

mathman
January 24, 2005, 02:04 AM
Just curious...why did you get rid of the other two standards? ...and thanks for the input.

Marko Kloos
January 24, 2005, 05:36 AM
The SIG P220 enjoys a stellar reputation as probably the best DA/SA .45ACP on the market. It's certainly the most reliable .45 I know, period.

Even among SIGs, it is renowned for its reliability and accuracy. I highly doubt that you will find too many bad reviews of the P220 on TFL or elsewhere.

JSandi
January 24, 2005, 09:18 AM
Just curious...why did you get rid of the other two standards? ...and thanks for the input.

Back in the day, when I was poor and broke, had to off-load one gun to finance another. :)

chaotic1
January 24, 2005, 07:46 PM
mathman, I have discussed the p220st with you in another thread so you know my thoughts.

BUY ONE YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT!!!!! :)

Jim Watson
January 24, 2005, 07:58 PM
My first one would not handle the SWCs I load for 1911s so I sold it. Then I decided the P220 was worth its own ammo supply so I got another and do not ask it to shoot SWCs. It will feed RN, TC, and JHP reliably.

There are people who will say theirs do fine with SWCs, but there are people like me who have seen them choke. I don't know if that matters to you, but if it does, don't say I didn't warn you.

mathman
January 24, 2005, 08:01 PM
...i appreciate the info...i'm afraid that if i buy one that i wont want to shoot my 1911 anymore... :D

breakfast_yeti
January 24, 2005, 09:16 PM
I've owned two P220s, one stainless, and one two-tone. The two-tone jammed twice (stovepipes) in about 500 rounds, and wouldn't hold the slide back on the last round consistently. Sold the TT and bought a Stainless... and i've had no malfunctions of any kind. Shot 500 rounds of semi-wad in one session without a single hitch. I would recommend one without reservation.

Ala Dan
January 24, 2005, 11:32 PM
Mine shoots the Magnus 200 grain L-SWC just fine, when seated to a
depth not to exceed 1.230". But it really likes factory fodder real well.

Best Wishes,

Nnobby45
January 25, 2005, 02:09 AM
My SIG P220 is extremely reliable and shoots and handles well. One word of caution is that when using the 8rd. mags, it takes more pressure to reliably seat the mag when the slide is closed. Excellent firearm.

liliysdad
January 25, 2005, 09:28 AM
I shoot a lot of 185 LSWC, and my 220 feeds them like gangbusters. I have yet to have a failure with mine, with about 3k rounds since Ive had it. I bought it used, to boot.